Thread: Rancho 9000 install tips

Rancho 9000 install tips

Installed my rancho's today. Very easy job for do-it-yourselfers. Takes about 30 minutes each.
    1. The rancho's come out of the box in the compressed position. They require the shaft to be turned 1/4 turn to release them. DO NOT release them prior to install.
    2. Install the lower bolt first. Then with boot and liwer washer/bushing in place, line up the top shaft with the hole and release the shaft (1/4 turn).
    Then tighten all nuts/bolts.
    If you release the shaft before installing the shock it make the job a bit harder but its still doable.
    Hope this helps!

Overall job hardness rating...2

if you release the shaft first...3.5
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I will add, use anti sieze on the threads to make them much easier to remove later on. Also if you have time, take the adjuster knobs off and RTV the mounting so your adjusters dont rust into one spot.
    --Dave

What is this rust you speak of?

Rancho RS9000xl's

Just thought I'd put this out there...
    I bought a complete set of Rancho RS9000xl's, they came and each had manufacturing defects that prohibited them from going on. Anything from the dial knob loose in the box and wouldn't go back on, dented and scatched up bare metal on the shock body, to one of the "O" ring mounting points that have a metal insert and the insert was far extruded more on one side than the other....no way to fix that either due to compression. They will be returned, had to order another set. They came, fronts seem fine, the rear shocks...well, Rancho made them such that the "O" ring mounting points on either end were flip flopped, meaning the hole diameter did not fit onto the VX because they are different sizes and the shock could not be mounted upside down, per Rancho. From what I experienced, seems like Rancho has some serious quality issues. BIG hassle, just to get to the finish line.
    Purchases were made through Amazon and Advance Auto, same issues all around.

Just curious though for those who have these shocks, the fronts..did you mount them with the dial facing towards the wheel or facing inside?

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post

Voice of experience???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post

sounds like something my wife would say, but then again, maybe she's not doing her job

Quote Originally Posted by VX4EJR View Post
    Just curious though for those who have these shocks, the fronts..did you mount them with the dial facing towards the wheel or facing inside?
    Anyone?

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by VX4EJR View Post
    Anyone?
    Mine face inside...
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Mine face outside in the front, inside in the rear IIRC. FWIW, I ordered two full sets, one for the VX, one for the RS. No problems with either set, from 4wheel parts. I ordered the VX ones 4+ years ago at regular price, and the RS set a few years ago. No problems but I adjust mine at a minimum of twice a year. I got a killer deal when they were doing BOGO plus free shipping a few years ago. Something like 200ish bucks for the set of 4. The RS uses the same shocks as the VX, as I would imagine all the 2nd gen and on troopers do?

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Hi guys,

I own a fitment centre, and we have standardized on the Rancho shocks for the
    majority of our lift kits etc. If I may add my 5 cents worth.

The shocks need to be primed prior to installation, as they have obviously been standing for a while since manufacture. We do the following:
    Once the shock is ready for fitment (boot fitted and 1/4 turn with shaft extended).
    Turn the dial to the minimum setting (1).
    Pull the shaft of the shock till fully extended, then compress the shaft all the way.
    Repeat this 3 times.
    Fit the shocks easily as they are at the min setting making it easy to compress if needed.
    Once you have tightened both mounts adjust the dial to the desired setting, and viola, job done!!

Regarding the quality problems encountered, That is not good news!
    I hope Rancho take note of your issues.

Hope this tip helps.

Cheers
    Impi
    2 x 99 JDM VX's 3.2L V6; 1 stock & 1 with 3" Calmini lift, 2 x Troopers, 1 stock & 1 with 3" lift ++
    2 x Pickups and counting