Thread: Timing Belt

Timing Belt

Ok, all of you shade-tree mechanics out there. I have now passed 130K miles and am wanting to finally change my timing belt.

How difficult of a job is it? How long should it take? Do I need anything besides the belt? (such as gaskets, nylon screws/bolts/nuts, etc.)

Thanks,
    Happy Flying!

Randy

It's alotta work!

I don't know if you want to tackle this job by yourself. There's alot of things that need to be taken off the front of the engine to get access to the timing belt, including the main pulley. The nut for the main pulley is a real bii-otch to get off ! While your in there, you should change the water pump and replace the timing belt tensioner. I seem to recall there being a write up on doing it, on the 4X4Wire board.

If you have a mechanic you trust, I'd recommend letting them do this job. It'll save you some busted knuckles and alot of frustration. Of course, it'll also cost you. I ended up paying $600 to get the job done, split about 50/50, between parts and labor. The cost of the actual timing belt ends up being the cheapest part.

Yes, Good advise, definitely change both tensioner & water pump when replacing Timing belt.

Dragon Bob
    Neither ordinary or extraordinary, just indefatigable.

2000 VX Green Dragon- Chick Demagnitizer-Supercharger-Injen Intake- Cold air box-K&N- Power Vault SS Exhaust-265-75-16 BFG MT kms-On Board CO2- Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates- PIAA 520 Fog Lites-3inch lift with OME 912 Springs-LINE X Bedliner on Cladding & Hood Insert-ARB Front Lockers & Custom Bull Bar. Vintage Offenhauser Hood scoop Thule Rack. XM Radio-Custom Storage Box-First VX to surmount the RUBICON.Thanks Sierra Stompers

Hmm... thats high. I just asked at Century Isuzu in Huntsville AL. for my Trooper timing belt, and got a quote for $350.00. I decided for that much I wouldnt do it myself. At least the VX has 20,000 miles before timing belt is done! I also worry about front bearing repack. So far Im thinking of driving till she gives out on both trucks. I figure at least 100,000 miles before it does, and the parts cost what 3 repacks cost. Why go in 3 times when I can go once for the same dinero?

Originally posted by MrCrowley
    Hmm... thats high. I just asked at Century Isuzu in Huntsville AL. for my Trooper timing belt, and got a quote for $350.00. I decided for that much I wouldnt do it myself. At least the VX has 20,000 miles before timing belt is done! I also worry about front bearing repack. So far Im thinking of driving till she gives out on both trucks. I figure at least 100,000 miles before it does, and the parts cost what 3 repacks cost. Why go in 3 times when I can go once for the same dinero?

Isuzu Handbook ( Given these are conservative numbers)
    Timing belt change is recommended at 100K
    Wheel Bearing Repack at 30K.

I would do the Timing belt at 100K even though breakage should not cause engine damage. Reasoning is both Water pump & Tension pulley are close to failure & might as well do all at once.

Wheel bearings I do at 50K

Dragon Bob

Question

Originally posted by Green Dragon
    Wheel bearings I do at 50K

I am at 30k miles now and just had the front diff, rear diff, tod all drained and refilled @ dealer and I changed the oil & filter along with fuel & air filters myself. I am hesitant to do the wheel bearing repack & 30k as indicated in the manual. I believe 50k is more reasonable. Anybody know what this costs (repack) @ the dealer? When I asked @ dealer they just shrugged. I figure I'll do the trannie and filter @ 35k.

Thanks in advance

Greg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Bearing repacking is pretty spendy! I had mine done at 30,000 since I was doing a lot of offroading and water crossings. If you have your wheels submurged a lot in sandy/silty water I would highly recomend repacking every 30,000. However if you just drive the street 50,000 should be fine.
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

[i]. I believe 50k is more reasonable. Anybody know what this costs (repack) @ the dealer? When I asked @ dealer they just shrugged. I figure I'll do the trannie and filter @ 35k.

Thanks in advance

Greg [/B]
    I think it costs about $80 to repack the bearings at the dealer+ the cost of the screws (Minimal)

Dragon Bob

Dealer’s here charge around $150 for repacking. $80 would be a deal - really, really should be done every 30K miles or less. $600 is also a good deal on the timing belt as it is a major undertaking and it is easy to have a cam slip a tooth and then it will have to be redone all over again.

Hmm... thats high. I just asked at Century Isuzu in Huntsville AL. for my Trooper timing belt, and got a quote for $350.00.
    $350 for just the timing belt is a little high. I paid $280 in labor to get the timing belt, tensioner and water pump done. The timing belt cost about $55 and I bet they'ed take 3/4 of an hour off the labor if I just did the belt.

My dealer out here in AZ charges $140 to repack the front bearings, this includes $20 for new seals. I'd disagree with you that the wheel bearings need to be replaced at 100K. If you perform proper maintenance on the bearings, they should easily last 150-200K. I too would recommend that you perform the wheel bearing service every 30-40K, even if you stay out of the mud and water.