Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005 Durango ABS Control Module Fits

Wow, ok, this is cool.

So, this is a definite FIX for the ABS light in the dash coming on and staying on?

Hmmm, I need to do some work on my VX soon.

Bart

Anybody know if the VX will run normally if the ABS module is completely removed, to send i to the rebuild guy, other than the ABS light being on?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Anybody know if the VX will run normally if the ABS module is completely removed, to send i to the rebuild guy, other than the ABS light being on?
    I sure do. Hard turning is a jarring nightmare, though I do not know why. Other than that, there is what feels like funky shifiting when slowing and even normal driving. I hated it.

Ebay ABS repair/rebuild guy is now down to $49…with lifetime guarantee…..and he pays shipping one way…..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110784352777...84.m1438.l2649

Smile

O.K. This looks like a great fix for my ABS. Normally, how long does it take a mechanic change this out? I'm trying to figure what the total cost will be.
    Thanks.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

So it sounds like driving without the module is not a great choice. I am not sure how many people are in my shoes and would like to get a rebuilt module in their vehicle but don't have an extra one. I would like to throw out a suggestion that if anyone has an extra module sitting around, perhaps we can start a domino run of rebuilds. My suggestion is if someone does have an extra one, I would pay a reasonable amount ($??) for them to send it to get rebuilt and sent to me, then I could replace mine and send it in to be repaired and sent to someone else, and so on and so on and so on. Perhaps each time it goes to another person the cost drops $5 (so the total cost is $49 + $5 + shipping costs) eventually everyone has a rebuild. I realize this involves trusting people, but I am willing to start the chain if someone has an extra unit and can decide on a reasonable starting price.

Great suggestion!

I gotta say it seems odd that a part that causes "fail" mode gets worse with total removal. IOW, are we really sure it can't be "normally" run w/o that controller?
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 89Vette View Post
    Great suggestion!

I gotta say it seems odd that a part that causes "fail" mode gets worse with total removal. IOW, are we really sure it can't be "normally" run w/o that controller?
    I agree, that's a great suggestion dietz!
    I think this is the first time running w/o the unit has ever been discussed, and xcelr8 is the only one that has done it (at least that posted here).

Quote Originally Posted by dietz99vcross View Post
    So it sounds like driving without the module is not a great choice. I am not sure how many people are in my shoes and would like to get a rebuilt module in their vehicle but don't have an extra one. I would like to throw out a suggestion that if anyone has an extra module sitting around, perhaps we can start a domino run of rebuilds. My suggestion is if someone does have an extra one, I would pay a reasonable amount ($??) for them to send it to get rebuilt and sent to me, then I could replace mine and send it in to be repaired and sent to someone else, and so on and so on and so on. Perhaps each time it goes to another person the cost drops $5 (so the total cost is $49 + $5 + shipping costs) eventually everyone has a rebuild. I realize this involves trusting people, but I am willing to start the chain if someone has an extra unit and can decide on a reasonable starting price.

I believe I am the perfect candidate to start this domino run.....

I have 2 backups....a junk yard pull that SHOULD be working and one that I pulled out of mine and replaced with a different junk yard pull.

Little nervous to get rid of the "double safety net" that I created for myself but......I suppose its for the greater good.

Let me know whats next.

they made cars without abs for years and they did just fine - BUT they were not controlled by computers

Quote Originally Posted by evillecutter View Post
    they made cars without abs for years and they did just fine - BUT they were not controlled by computers
    True dat...but a fault condition is a fault condition. Computer control stops and manual (or even table-fed) operation takes over. With brakes, the first thought would be "normal" hydraulic function w/o the possibility of piston flutter.

On a computer controlled engine, a fault mode reverts to a manual, pre-programmed mode. Still not "manual", but independant of some/all sensor feedback. Brakes are a simpler mechanical "system".

Quote Originally Posted by dietz99vcross View Post
    This is what Sue and I did just before Moab last year. She sent a spare unit to the fix place, they fixed it and sent it overnight to me, I had my mechanic do the swap, then I sent my broken one back to her to keep as a spare. Worked great but as you say it relies on trust. What I don't think anyone needs to worry about is the repair place; they fixed the problem and had it shipped to me right away!

Correction, IIRC I brought it to Moab for her. Way expensive shipping method!

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Correction, IIRC I brought it to Moab for her. Way expensive shipping method!

and I had it fixed and sold to Tysamigo (all under his name so he has the warranty)….so I don't have that one any more or I'd be able to start the domino run.

That's one point we have to be careful on…the paperwork has to be in the "receiver's" name for the lifetime warranty to apply. So while I prepared and shipped the dead units, I filled out all the paperwork with Mav's name and Ty's name.

Before I realized the name thing, I shipped another dead unit (from that "little" salvage yard project I took on this fall )…..sent it to ASI (ebay guy) but in my name. I sold it to Bren but couldn't get ASI to change the name. So I told Bren I aint goin' nowherz, so if he has a prob, send it to me and I'll send it in.

Just curious Mav, have you gone out and tested the ABS?

I think I may have felt it engage once or twice but I haven't actively tested it. I'll try it out the next time we get a snow.