Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Durango ABS Control Module Fits

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dietz99vcross View Post
    So it sounds like driving without the module is not a great choice. I am not sure how many people are in my shoes and would like to get a rebuilt module in their vehicle but don't have an extra one. I would like to throw out a suggestion that if anyone has an extra module sitting around, perhaps we can start a domino run of rebuilds. My suggestion is if someone does have an extra one, I would pay a reasonable amount ($??) for them to send it to get rebuilt and sent to me, then I could replace mine and send it in to be repaired and sent to someone else, and so on and so on and so on. Perhaps each time it goes to another person the cost drops $5 (so the total cost is $49 + $5 + shipping costs) eventually everyone has a rebuild. I realize this involves trusting people, but I am willing to start the chain if someone has an extra unit and can decide on a reasonable starting price.
    This is what Sue and I did just before Moab last year. She sent a spare unit to the fix place, they fixed it and sent it overnight to me, I had my mechanic do the swap, then I sent my broken one back to her to keep as a spare. Worked great but as you say it relies on trust. What I don't think anyone needs to worry about is the repair place; they fixed the problem and had it shipped to me right away!

they made cars without abs for years and they did just fine - BUT they were not controlled by computers

Quote Originally Posted by evillecutter View Post
    they made cars without abs for years and they did just fine - BUT they were not controlled by computers
    True dat...but a fault condition is a fault condition. Computer control stops and manual (or even table-fed) operation takes over. With brakes, the first thought would be "normal" hydraulic function w/o the possibility of piston flutter.

On a computer controlled engine, a fault mode reverts to a manual, pre-programmed mode. Still not "manual", but independant of some/all sensor feedback. Brakes are a simpler mechanical "system".
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

Correction, IIRC I brought it to Moab for her. Way expensive shipping method!

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Correction, IIRC I brought it to Moab for her. Way expensive shipping method!

and I had it fixed and sold to Tysamigo (all under his name so he has the warranty)….so I don't have that one any more or I'd be able to start the domino run.

That's one point we have to be careful on…the paperwork has to be in the "receiver's" name for the lifetime warranty to apply. So while I prepared and shipped the dead units, I filled out all the paperwork with Mav's name and Ty's name.

Before I realized the name thing, I shipped another dead unit (from that "little" salvage yard project I took on this fall )…..sent it to ASI (ebay guy) but in my name. I sold it to Bren but couldn't get ASI to change the name. So I told Bren I aint goin' nowherz, so if he has a prob, send it to me and I'll send it in.

Just curious Mav, have you gone out and tested the ABS?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Just curious Mav, have you gone out and tested the ABS?
    Confirmed in the snow Friday, ABS definitely working as it should, though probably not the way I want it to in those conditions.

Cool

What do you mean by ......"though probably not the way I want it to in those conditions".
    Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

I think I may have felt it engage once or twice but I haven't actively tested it. I'll try it out the next time we get a snow.

Hey Jamas, if you and I are the start of the dominoes, I would be cool with that. I am not sure what the "value" of the double safety net is but if we can come up with a fair and reasonable price I would be fine with sending you $$$ to cover the item, shipping costs, and the cost of the repair along with my name, address and all that other important junk to forward with the unit so they assume it is mine and return it to me. I can then offer up my current unit to the next guinea pig..err domino in the chain.

Hey Jamas, if you and I are the start of the dominoes, I would be cool with that. I am not sure what the "value" of the double safety net is but if we can come up with a fair and reasonable price I would be fine with sending you $$$ to cover the item, shipping costs, and the cost of the repair along with my name, address and all that other important junk to forward with the unit so they assume it is mine and return it to me. I can then offer up my current unit to the next guinea pig..err domino in the chain.

The form requires the VIN, so got to keep the ABS unit matched up with the right VX for the warranty.
    Here's the form you complete for the repair/rebuild.
    http://www.autoecu.com/upload/forms/randrformnew.pdf

Alright, I was actually thinking about this at work today anyways. If I make the purchase on eBay and fill out the form and then someone else were to send in the unit after I sent them money to cover the cost of the unit and shipping expenses. Then the next person would make their purchase on eBay and I would send my old unit in after receiving their money for my unit and shipping expenses.

Alright, I was actually thinking about this at work today anyways. If I make the purchase on eBay and fill out the form and then someone else were to send in the unit after I sent them money to cover the cost of the unit and shipping expenses. Then the next person would make their purchase on eBay and I would send my old unit in after receiving their money for my unit and shipping expenses.
    That's what Mav and Tyler and I did…they bought it on ebay, ASI sends a prepaid shipping label via email, they forwarded that email to me, I boxed the unit, filled out the R&R form with all THEIR info, took box to UPS and dropped it off.

Here's the info from Mav and Tyler I needed to fill out the form.
    Complete the form as if the unit came out of the RECIPIENT's VX…i.e. vehicle's mileage, VIN, name, addy:

• Recipient's address
    • Daytime contact telephone
    • Mileage
    • VIN
    • Describe symptoms/failure:
      ABS light on, and didn't engage when tested
    • PayPal ID the RECIPIENT used to "buy" their service on ebay
    • EBAY ITEM NUMBER : 110784352777
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/110784352777...84.m1438.l2649

As in I'd rather it not kick on in the snow at all. Not fun for the pedal to go dead as you're trying to stop in the snow. ABS is great on dry or even wet pavement but I wish we had a button to disable it for winter driving.

I dont want anyone to think I have forgotten about this....

....I just dont know what exactly I need to do. When someone is ready, please give me the specifics and I will be happy to facilitate whatever is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    I dont want anyone to think I have forgotten about this....

....I just dont know what exactly I need to do. When someone is ready, please give me the specifics and I will be happy to facilitate whatever is needed.
    Whenever somebody is ready to do this:

1) They "buy" it on ebay
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/110784352777...84.m1438.l2649

2) Buyer fills out all info on ASI R&R form:
    http://www.autoecu.com/upload/forms/randrformnew.pdf

Need to do this as if it came out of buyer's VX…so use buyer's mileage and VIN. (anybody know what's causing these stray characters almost every time I use a comma or more than one period?)
    • Buyer address:
    • Daytime contact telephone:
    • Mileage:
    • VIN:
    • Describe symptoms/failure: ABS light on, didn't engage when tried.
    • PayPal ID BUYER used to "buy" their service on ebay
    • EBAY ITEM NUMBER : 110784352777

3) ASI emails shipping label to buyer in #1, BUYER forwards that to JAMAS. (Tyler and I had a heck of a time getting it transmitted via email to me…so be aware of that)

4) JAMAS packages up ABS unit, applies pre-paid label, drops off at UPS.

Anybody ready to start this?
    Last edited by VX KAT : 01/28/2013 at 05:04 PM