Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Durango ABS Control Module Fits

First of all, you do not need ABS. Many people prefer to drive without it. This especially true about ABS designed in the 90's, which weren't all that great even when it worked "welll". The trick is in being able drive it now like a non-ABS car!

Second, any mechanic who is ofering to fix ABS for $4000 on a car that is worth $6000-$8000, is not looking out his customer's best interest. Most mechanics are aware about cheap rebuild options for many electronic components. Good mechanics will offer it to you, lazy mechanics will not want to wait for the rebuilt cycle (or deal with redoing the job if the rebuild unit fails) and they would offer the crazy, new OEM price! I would stay away from such lazy mechanics...

As for a cheaper solution, this forum has everything you need to know to come up with it

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by rollingmoss View Post
    Hello, I own the pearl white VX. The ABS light just came on, and I was given the bad news that it will cost $4,000 to replace. Based on what I've read, it seems that there are several much less expensive options. Is there any consensus on the best approach to reducing the financial impact? Are there any problems associated with just driving as is? Thanks for this potential great news.
    In this thread go to post #49 and read from there. My ABS is out as well and like has been said does not affect the driveability of the vehicle. I almost pulled it yesterday and sent it off, but with snow coming I'll need it this weekend. I do plan on having my unit rebuilt in the near future.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Hello, I own the pearl white VX. The ABS light just came on, and I was given the bad news that it will cost $4,000 to replace. Based on what I've read, it seems that there are several much less expensive options. Is there any consensus on the best approach to reducing the financial impact? Are there any problems associated with just driving as is? Thanks for this potential great news.
    Dude I'm so sorry to hear that, if I were you I'd just let me take your damaged VX off your hands.

For $49 and a lifetime warranty, and now several owners have had this same company do it and it works, I can't see any down side. Isuzu currently lists the ABS module at about $2,900 for a new one.

Didn't realize you've had your VX so long. I'm just curious, are you original owner or how'd it find it's way into your garage? How many miles do you have on it?

Any pics you could post?

Just went to the Petersen museum in Los Angeles on Saturday and saw the VX-02. Was great to see!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Yes, I bought the VX new in Denver in late 2002, and have really enjoyed it, especially since my wife HATES it. Oh well, small victories. Currently it has about 93K on the clock, and has been pretty much trouble free.

I'm going to my mechanic this morning to see if he will remove the ABS unit and replace it when I get it back. I am not now nor have I ever been mechanically inclined, so trying to do this myself is out of the question.

I'm going to my mechanic this morning to see if he will remove the ABS unit and replace it when I get it back. I am not now nor have I ever been mechanically inclined, so trying to do this myself is out of the question.
    **Before you have the module removed*** read this:
    I know it's a lot of reading, but worth it!

I asked if there's any difference driving w/o the MODULE. See post #47 in this thread. "xcelr8" said there was definitely a difference, hard turning was a "jarring nightmare".
    ** Remember we're not talking about if it's better to have ABS function or not, but simply if there's any difference when the ABS MODULE is removed.**

A better idea for you is to get yours into the "domino run" thing several here are doing. Starts at post #47. "Mile High VX" recommended the same thing.
    Basically it's so no one has to drive W/O the MODULE, as it doesn't drive the same w/o it.

Some one with a spare unit sent it to be rebuilt, but the next guy actually pays for the service and once he receives the rebuilt one, he sends in his dead unit to be rebuilt for the next in line. …etc…etc….

Post #64 has the details. Ask "JAMAS" (Jon) where he is with his.

Rebuild service on ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/110784352777...84.m1438.l2649

I am waiting for mine to arrive back from the repair place. According to UPS it should arrive tomorrow. The turnaround time on these are pretty great!

I believe Fuzzy is next in line, however. You will have to contact him after he gets his fixed.

Jamas,
    Keep us updated as to the results.
    Really curious to see how many positive reviews there are on the service.
    Thanks!
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

How much time should it take to remove and reinstall the unit upon rebuild. And what is the estimated module rebuild turnaround time?

Thanks for the information bestowed in the earlier posts.

How much time should it take to remove and reinstall the unit upon rebuild. And what is the estimated module rebuild turnaround time?

Thanks for the information bestowed in the earlier posts.
    Can't help you on the removal/install times as I used a unit I bought from another owner here, and one from a salvage yard VX, but I'm sure one of the others will answer.

The two units I've sent in had a turnaround of about 16 days MAX. One unit I sent they had to do more testing until they ID'd the problem, took a few extra days.
    They pay for shipping one way, and you can have them use a faster delivery for the return, you just have to pay for it.

Another way you can do it is to find a salvage yard ABS unit, and send that in (with YOUR VIN and ID). I'm not sure how much just the ABS module should be from a salvage yard as I bought it in a bundle of parts, so no individual price.

moss,

You'll just be removing the electronics portion from the top of the ABS module so it should be pretty quick as far as actual time under the hood. You don't need to (or want to) remove the hydraulic portion.

JAMAS or etlsport should be able tell you how long it takes to R&R the electronics portion.

Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    moss,

You'll just be removing the electronics portion from the top of the ABS module so it should be pretty quick as far as actual time under the hood. You don't need to (or want to) remove the hydraulic portion.

JAMAS or etlsport should be able tell you how long it takes to R&R the electronics portion.

Tom
    The last two times I have replaced the module, I have replaced the whole thing. I even sent in the complete abs module to have it repaired. Its very straight forward to remove and reinstall. However, a brake bleed is where the extra work comes in.

As for turnaround time.....

dietz99vcross sent in his for my repair on 2/20/13.....UPS has it scheduled to be delivered to me today 2/27/13. One week from ship to receive. Thats pretty darn good.

Sue, one only needs to send in the plastic ABS module for the eBay repair, correct? That saves shipping the heavy aluminum distro block and a bleed. If you unbolt the distro block from its mount which is bolted to the inner fender, then unbolt the mount, too, you can move the chunk into position to unbolt the plastic ABS module from the aluminum distro block, all without disturbing the brake lines.
    Bren Workman
    Gretna, NE
    (C) 402-312-1992

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by workmeistr View Post
    Sue, one only needs to send in the plastic ABS module for the eBay repair, correct? That saves shipping the heavy aluminum distro block and a bleed.
    Correct, ASI only needs us to send the electronics part of module but I didn't want to mess with it either, so I just sent in the entire thing. Yes, realize it cost more for shipping that chunk-o-metal.

Did you install yours yet Bren?

Yep, I'm installed and all's well. How far down on the list is rollingmoss? I had planned to send my old one in to get rebuilt. I'll be $300 into my rebuilt unit once rebuilt.

My ABS serves me well driving to work before the snow plows finish up on my 30 min. drive. It makes stopping on snow and ice happen in a shorter distance. I grew up here driving a rear wheel drive pre-ABS car. I would recommend ABS for winter and for wet hydroplane stopping, but to each their own.