Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Durango ABS Control Module Fits

This HAS to be the definition of irony......

.....my ABS light just turned on last night.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    This HAS to be the definition of irony......

.....my ABS light just turned on last night.
    Sounds about right. My passenger window regulator went out less than 30 days after I replaced the drivers side.

Before you swap out the module though, try to 'exercise' the ABS. Find a lonely country road or empty parking lot (dirt or gravel would be best) & try to lock up the brakes. That actually worked for me in the past (once anyway).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I will try that.

I wont be replacing it until after Dietz sends his in for repair after receiving my repair, so I should have some time to give that a shot.

This is my second ABS module so it wasn't surprising or concerning when it happened. Just frustrating. I hope this repair makes it last longer than just swapping out for a junk yard model. Definitely a good reason not to buy one new.

Big shout out to Jamas for helping me out. The sun came out today and it made it up to 40 degrees so I swapped out the abs unit Jamas sent to get rebuilt and forwarded to me. Twenty minutes to swap it out, and who knows how many years of that stupid abs light being on ended. Of course the warm weather killed all the snow, but more is coming tonight so tomorrow I will test it in real world terms. Now I will send my unit back to get rebuilt and forward it on to Jamas.

Thanks - Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dietz99vcross View Post
    Big shout out to Jamas for helping me out. The sun came out today and it made it up to 40 degrees so I swapped out the abs unit Jamas sent to get rebuilt and forwarded to me. Twenty minutes to swap it out, and who knows how many years of that stupid abs light being on ended. Of course the warm weather killed all the snow, but more is coming tonight so tomorrow I will test it in real world terms. Now I will send my unit back to get rebuilt and forward it on to Jamas.

Thanks - Mike
    Glad this is working out.

Anybody next in line?

FYI - I confirmed today with ASI the $49 is thru ebay only. It's $99 if you go direct to ASI.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

I am going to purchase today and get my process started.

Anyone after me?

Does anyone know if I need to, and if so how, bleed the brakes after swapping out the abs module? With the five lines all just threaded in I see no way to bleed unless it is at the wheel.

Isn't that how you bleed brakes? At each wheel starting from the one farthest from the master cylinder?

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    I am going to purchase today and get my process started.

Anyone after me?
    I might be. Getting TOD fixed first, but ABS light has been on for about a year now and when dealership said $4000 for an ABS module, I knew that was a non-starter.
    Fuzzy
    2001 Proton #1413
    Kaneohe, HI

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by dietz99vcross View Post
    Does anyone know if I need to, and if so how, bleed the brakes after swapping out the abs module? With the five lines all just threaded in I see no way to bleed unless it is at the wheel.
    The shop manual says that after reinstallation you must bleed the brakes completely.

After installing the hydraulic unit, bleed brakes
    completely. Refer to Bleeding Brake Hydraulic
    System in this section.

It's in section 5C-9 and is quite extensive.
    Last edited by Mile High VX : 02/22/2013 at 07:48 AM
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

the last time I replaced my abs unit I bled the brakes. I also had new calipers installed, but I would think you are introducing air to the system so bleeding them would be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    I might be. Getting TOD fixed first, but ABS light has been on for about a year now and when dealership said $4000 for an ABS module, I knew that was a non-starter.
    I will let you know when I replace my current ABS unit with the repaired ABS unit. $59 is definitely a better price than a new unit that could fail again. From what I understand the repaired module will have thicker wire and better solder.

Definitely look at the brake bleeding procedure for the VX. It's a little different from other cars that I have done before. The short version is that you are supposed to pull the ABS fuse and bleed the brakes with the engine running.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Jamas, I would be curious when you get the rebuild in to see if the wiring on the bottom of unit is beefier than the original. I noticed this on mine, but thought it might just be a variance in manufacturing.

Pearl White ABS Problems

Hello, I own the pearl white VX. The ABS light just came on, and I was given the bad news that it will cost $4,000 to replace. Based on what I've read, it seems that there are several much less expensive options. Is there any consensus on the best approach to reducing the financial impact? Are there any problems associated with just driving as is? Thanks for this potential great news.