Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005 Durango ABS Control Module Fits

Looking at online parts suppliers there appear to be 4 different ABS modules for the 2005 Dodge Durango 2wd, 2wd w/ traction control, 4wd, 4wd w/traction control. The part number listed above is 52113683AC and the label says 4x4. no mention of traction control. Checking further it appears this part number refers to the 4wd unit without traction control.

Although the same number is also supplied to the pump, perhaps dodge only sells them as a unit?

Someone should check with a Dodge Dealer to be sure

Quote Originally Posted by VX4EJR View Post
    OK, just to be clear...is it safe to say that the Antilock brake black plastic circuit "brain" part (as pictured in the Ebay auction xcelr8 bought) could just be unscrewed/removed in our VX's while under the hood and then replaced with a new one, such as the 05 Durango module, and that could potentially give ABS back and work?
    Please, someone chime in and give feedback, details or confirmation.
    MORE than "potentially." It IS working in my car right now.

Quote Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
    Looking at online parts suppliers there appear to be 4 different ABS modules for the 2005 Dodge Durango 2wd, 2wd w/ traction control, 4wd, 4wd w/traction control. The part number listed above is 52113683AC and the label says 4x4. no mention of traction control. Checking further it appears this part number refers to the 4wd unit without traction control.

Although the same number is also supplied to the pump, perhaps dodge only sells them as a unit?

Someone should check with a Dodge Dealer to be sure
    WITHOUT traction control (at least that's what mine said in the desc.) I don't know if it's still there, but there was a new one on ebay for 249 WITH the pump. However, I did not check to see if it was without trac.

Quote Originally Posted by xcelr8 View Post
    Well that's an added benefit...ha ha. What I meant was is this a clean plug and play swap kinda thing...couple of screws, removing the one part and replacing it with another under the hood...without soldering, touching brake fluid, etc?

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Hey nice work.

Seems like there's only one question left... if it's the same bosche ABS unit, will it have the same failure problem?

Since the problem is pretty well known and this unit is obviously newer, I would hope Bosch has taken steps to correct the problem.

Checking the Durango it seems to be an odd fit in terms of size for the VX, the curb weight of a Duranago is just over 5,000 lbs for the 4.7L 4WD Durango vs just under 4,000 for the VX.

I wonder if the programming is the same or nearly the same?

Can the units be reprogrammed?

That is a very good find!

But a skeptic in me finds it pretty amazing that this Durango controller is fully compatible electrically! Let me ask you this:

- Have you tried hard stops what would normally activate ABS?
    - I suspect that TOD is using ABS sensors to detect wheel spin, have you done any driving that would normally activate TOD?

Finally, here is what I want to hear next: Durango Hemi engine bolts right up to the VX tranny bell housing

Quote Originally Posted by VX4EJR View Post
    Well that's an added benefit...ha ha. What I meant was is this a clean plug and play swap kinda thing...couple of screws, removing the one part and replacing it with another under the hood...without soldering, touching brake fluid, etc?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Hey nice work.

Seems like there's only one question left... if it's the same bosche ABS unit, will it have the same failure problem?
    That's an unknown. Methinks though, if it is newer perhaps the problem has been identified and fixed...I dunno. But for me, since I ruined my stocker, a 100 alt was perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon R View Post
    That is a very good find!

But a skeptic in me finds it pretty amazing that this Durango controller is fully compatible electrically! Let me ask you this:

- Have you tried hard stops what would normally activate ABS?
    Yes. Seems fine...but maybe someone else with more mechanical know-how would disagree.

- I suspect that TOD is using ABS sensors to detect wheel spin, have you done any driving that would normally activate TOD?

Yes.

Finally, here is what I want to hear next: Durango Hemi engine bolts right up to the VX tranny bell housing
    not gonna happen. The engine's not a real hemi anyway. Just get the caddy engine.

not gonna happen. The engine's not a real hemi anyway. Just get the caddy engine.
    THAT is what you answer? That was a joke I only used a "Hemi" because we were talking about Dodge products

How about functionality of ABS/TOD? Simple things like difference in calibration of ABS sensors and/or ABS pump could cause erratic ABS behavior and you wouldn’t know until you test it under different conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by Leon R View Post
    THAT is what you answer? That was a joke I only used a "Hemi" because we were talking about Dodge products

How about functionality of ABS/TOD? Simple things like difference in calibration of ABS sensors and/or ABS pump could cause erratic ABS behavior and you wouldn�t know until you test it under different conditions!
    my answers got caught up in your question...they're there, but in with your question.

As far as I can tell, ABS is functioning perfectly. As far as TOD, which I absolutely can tell, it is working fine.

Quote Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
    I called Dodge today. The guy I talked didn't seem to be very confident in his answers and he couldn't match the model number listed above in their system. (Maybe I got the new guy?!?!) He told me the rough price for a new unit is about $500 - or $600 if it is for the Durango with traction control. Again, he wasn't completely sure, but thought this was just for the control module only.

There are a few other dealers in the metro area... I'll make some more calls.

Hey, xcelr8 - what year is your VX? How did you get to the screws on the side closest to the fender?

Quote Originally Posted by RickOKC View Post
    I called Dodge today. The guy I talked didn't seem to be very confident in his answers and he couldn't match the model number listed above in their system. (Maybe I got the new guy?!?!) He told me the rough price for a new unit is about $500 - or $600 if it is for the Durango with traction control. Again, he wasn't completely sure, but thought this was just for the control module only.

There are a few other dealers in the metro area... I'll make some more calls.

Hey, xcelr8 - what year is your VX? How did you get to the screws on the side closest to the fender?

2000. Yeah, that was beyond insane. I loosened the bracket that holds the whole thing (three screws). I removed screw on each side of pump so that the whole aseembly could be mobilised. Then it was just tilting just so, pulling just so...you CAN move the whole assembly. The plumbing will not kink or break. I practically lifted it straight up above fender line.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by RickOKC View Post
    I c the rough price for a new unit is about $500 - or $600 if it is for the Durango with traction control. Again, he wasn't completely sure, but thought this was just for the control module only.
    There was a P in front of the number on the photo of the control unit. There are photos on eBay with the same part number on the pump.

It's a little weird.

It also leads me to wonder how many other 4 wheel vehicles use the same part.