Thread: My new daily driver

My new daily driver

edit
    Last edited by deermagnet : 02/06/2013 at 03:04 PM

Mark, congratulations on the new whip (I think that's what the kinds call them these days). Looks like it'll be a great dependable car for many years to come. I've never been in a car with a continually variable transmission, and I have no idea how they actually work, but from what I have heard and read it doesn't actually "shift" gears. The RPM's move around, but you never feel a shift. That's got to be weird.

I have no doubt that you will, eventually, get the VX back on the road. I am at the point of taking the heads off of my old engine. I didn't know this, but our head bolts are actually hex head bolts so I need to get a set of hex head sockets to remove the heads. I should get a set of those tomorrow, so hopefully by the end of the weekend, or the beginning of next week at the latest, I'll be able to tell you what might be wrong with your VX's engine so you know what you need to get to when I comes time to fix it.

I'm sure that you'll keep the same kind of records on the SX4 that you did on the VX so I can't wait to see how things compare.

Happy motoring.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Hmmmm.....good to know. I just bought an electric impact wrench and it took the bolt holding the pulley onto the crank right off, so I'm hoping that it will work wonders on the head bolts. Maybe I'll blast them with some PB Blaster and let that soak in for a bit. So far I've been surprised with all of the nuts and bolts on the old engine. I figured that after being together for over 130K miles they would have seized together, but everything has come off with no problem......so far.

Congrats, again, on the new ride.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench It's all about the panametric fam & hydrocoptic marzalvanes

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    I've never been in a car with a continually variable transmission, and I have no idea how they actually work, but from what I have heard and read it doesn't actually "shift" gears. The RPM's move around, but you never feel a shift.
    This should help you understand Mark...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...v58JCGoPOBHR4A

Grats on the new D-D Mr G...SWEET look'n whip...
    Last edited by Ldub : 10/19/2012 at 09:32 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post

Grats on the new D-D Mr G...
    So whats the connection between the dingle arm and the argo cornstarch? Does it have something to do with the girdlespring?

My metapolar refractive pilfrometer is on the fritz again. Does anyone have one that I could borrow?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

Quote Originally Posted by tjh View Post
    So whats the connection between the dingle arm and the argo cornstarch? Does it have something to do with the girdlespring?

My metapolar refractive pilfrometer is on the fritz again. Does anyone have one that I could borrow?
    Not only do I have several in the cave...

But I would gladly sell you one...PLUS a backup unit for -$4.20 ea...

That's right, you allow me to ship em', & I'll owe you $8.40+shipping...

Sorry for the OT Mark...Travis made me do it.

Grats on the new D-D Mr G...
    LOL I thought that video was serious until about the dingle arm.

I've never been in a car with a continually variable transmission, and I have no idea how they actually work, but from what I have heard and read it doesn't actually "shift" gears.
    I have a subaru legacy with a CVT and basically there's a series of pulleys and belts that allow the transmission to shift super smoothly. It's supposed to assist with gas mileage as well as ride quality. When I jump on the freeway with the subi the RPMs go up to 4k and pretty much stay there until I've reached desired velocity and then they go down to about 1.5k-2k at 60mph.

Wink

Yeah, I know the feeling. Just got my VX back on the road a couple of weeks ago after waiting 5 months for what started as a couple of burnt exhaust valves on cylinder #6 (misfire code) and evolved into a complete engine rebuild (she was burning oil badly). My mechanic insists that the piston was in backwards on cylinder 6 and just fell out when he was disassembling the engine while the others were in correctly and needed force exerted to remove them.

I bought a used '03 chevy s10 extended cab zr2 pickup w/113k miles to take over the day to day grind...my VX is now semi-retired and only has to back up the pick-up. My mustang gets stored winters & the motorcycle is as one would guess useless for winter transportation.

I settled on this pick-up because it was a one owner (female) and had 8 pages of carfax reports on regular maintenance at the stealership. No obvious rattles or defects and was undercoated when new (I admit..I never undercoated the VX...now get both oil undercoated seasonally). The 4.3L v-6's are known to last if you maintain them. My buddy as two with well over 300k and his mom has one with 280k. They don't get the greatest gas mileage though but mine has been delivering what is expected--19 higway 13 city-- (averaging 17.5 mpg all around driving).

The only negative so far is it drives & tows & idles great but doesn't seem to have top notch passing power in those situations where you are stuck behind a slow moving vehicle and have a small window of opportunity to pass. Guess I'm spoiled with my SC'd VX and Mustang GT & motorcycle in those situations.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

"... Gloom, despair & agony on meeeeee ... If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at aaaaaaall ..."

Now I'm really showing my age ... Yup, I usta watch Hee Haw. (go ahead Dub ... find a U-tube of THAT song!!!)

Mark, sorry to hear of your recent automobile gastric distress. We'll just all hope & pray that your special deermagnet magic will keep it running with zero shop time for the next 250K miles.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Just stay away from Messy-beechi. I still gots 2 of 'em in my driveway that I have to keep runnin for a few more years.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    I thought Suzuki went bankrupt few years ago and gm picked em up? Isn't that where the kizashi came from?
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

That is too funny. I own an Isuzu (gone), my youngest daughter owns a Saturn (gone), and my oldest daughter owns a Suzuki (going?)

At least I can still get parts from a dealer for my 42 years old Torino and 30 years Mustang!!
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

I may be in the same place. Just bought a Volvo and there is speculation of them pulling out of the US. Especially now that they are owned by the Chinese. Volvo is pretty low volume in this country.
    --Dave

Maybe its the VX taking out the garage competition? I own a Saab too..

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"