Thread: Vendetta's Rancho 9000XL shock and Indy4x HD torsion bar install

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wrench Vendetta's Rancho 9000XL shock and Indy4x HD torsion bar install

Hey gang,

As many of you already know, the suspension on my '99 was a mess. It sat idle for a couple of years as I scraped some nickles together to replace the motor, which I did last year. When I started driving it again, the ride was a lot cagier than I remembered it, but didn't really pay it much mind.

Shortly after that, I put on ~33" Nitto Trail graps on bigger wheels, courtesy of OME 913s and a torsion bar crank. And while it LOOKED great, the drive was just getting worse and worse.

I posted a few questions here because my truck would NOT track straight over bumps. And worse yet, if there were even a gentle turn over bumpy terrain, I risked losing all control - even if going at or below rated speeds.

Some said it was a bump stop/spring helper issue, others said sway bar or egged-out bushings, and others still said ummmm.... have you changed your shocks?

Hoping it wasn't that most-expensive cause, I hadn't really looked into it. But with the winter approaching, it was time to get serious. So knowing it wasn't the sway bar or bushings (we checked), I went full throttle and bought a set of Rancho 9000XLs AND the Indy 4x HD torsion bars. Installed everything yesterday.

English doesn't offer words sufficient enough to craft an appropriate metaphor to relate the difference in the before and after comparison. It was that dramatic. Now, I recognize that this is largely due to how BAD the before was, as opposed to how AMAZING the after is. But still.

Last night, in the rain, I drove my VX in a way that I have not been able to in probably 7 years. Not only was she able to take bumpy corners at speed on wet terrain, she did so without a single jarring bump, rattle, or bang from below. I progressively expanded the test envelope to include harsh grade-level railroad crossings and other road "hazards." Again, not a peep from the suspension.

I turned it up a final notch and drove it over a series of speed dippy-bumpy things designed to keep traffic at or below 10MPH on a local community college road. (Being almost 2am, there wasn't another soul in sight.) I ran through that gauntlet at between 60-70mph, and was airborne more than once. The landings were smooth and graceful, and still not a single bottom out or jarring "bump stop." It was absolutely AMAZING. Instant love, all over again.

Now I'm NOT advocating this kind of field test, but rather just sharing my experiences with my new suspension bits. So please don't try this. Consider this the "professional driver, closed course" disclaimer.

That said, here are some more details:
    • The shocks that came OFF my VX were the factory shocks, never serviced. They were completely and utterly shot. There was some resistance on the pistons, but they wouldn't extend when compressed. Useless.
    • I've set my adjustable Ranchos' firmness to 6 on the fronts, and 7 on the rear. This is notably softer than the OEM shocks in good condition, but given my antics last night, I can say I'm pretty darned happy with these settings. Also, I carry no spare and generally no cargo, plus the stiffer springs and torsion bars compensate nicely.
    • The torsion bars are cranked out to lift the front slightly more than I'd like them to be, but this is only temporary until I can re-trim the cladding enough to eliminate the glancing rubbing I was getting before changing them out.

So not only is THIS the truck I bought a dozen years ago, it's superior to it. The shocks and torsion bars have undeniably renewed a 12-year love affair that needed a little spark.

BRING ON THE WINTER!
    -V
    Last edited by Vendetta : 01/12/2015 at 08:10 PM Reason: Spell check got a little too eager on a few words.
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-