Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Transmission Shifting issue: need help please

Transmission Shifting issue: need help please

Hi,
    I have an issue with my shifting, and want to confirm that it is the "Transmission mode switch", or if it is something else.

What I am experiencing seems to happen at around 26/27mph, almost always on level or near-level ground. I will be driving along, not accelerating too aggressively, and right around 26 mph, it seems like the transmission misses a shift to the next gear. I end up revving the engine in order to keep accelerating.

I then have to back off the gas so that the car drops back down in speed below 26 mph. Then, I can usually accelerate again past 26 and it will shift into the next gear that it missed the first time.

Is this the "Transmission mode switch", or something else?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.

When the trans mode switch goes bad the USUAL symthoms are hard shifting and the gear lights on the dash go crazy.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Well this sounds very famillar. It happened to us several years ago, right after I purchased our VX used and mildly abused (not maintained). The bad thing is.... i can't tell you at all what the problem is or was. I drained out as much atf fluid out of the trans and replaced with new and added Lucas Trans slip (don't remember the full name) atf additive.
    I only remember it doing it twice ever, and it hasn't done it in 20K since.

How many miles on VX? last atf filter change?

couple of ideas..... keep us all informed... good luck

Life is better when you go Topless

don't drive that car, draink that transmission, main pan, secondard pan, drain the intercooler, install a new filter; I let mine drip out fluid for a week on news paper, I changed the paper daily; used air to force out more; filled with 2 gallons of ATF fluid! That Lucas Slip fix does work if the clutchs aren't totalled! phonograph everything, see my photos for tips; also other procedures and PDF files on here for this;

thanks everyone-

I will get it to the mechanic in about 2 weeks (my girls car is in the shop now).

I will keep you posted.

Thanks
    Craig

mine has never missed a gear but i do find that sometimes that the shift point of 30mph in this vehicle makes me have to go a little faster just so i can get into the higher gear - in other words, if i drive at 26 mph it will never upshift unless i go faster - if i go 30mph it will upshift and then i can drive 26mph as long as i want in that same gear

thanks Evillecutter-
    Mine is quite a bit more pronounced than that, but it sounds like its in the same ballpark.
    I just end up being in the lower gear, unable to shift up correctly- the engine revs to try to make the car faster and will continue into the red if I would let it.

Mine just started doing the exact same thing....at about 105k miles. Has anyone with this problem ever taken it to a mechanic and diagnosed the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Home_Sauce View Post
    Mine just started doing the exact same thing....at about 105k miles. Has anyone with this problem ever taken it to a mechanic and diagnosed the problem?
    Home_sauce,
    Check out this thread, as it MAY resolve your issue

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...elector+switch

Quote Originally Posted by creeg View Post
    Home_sauce,
    Check out this thread, as it MAY resolve your issue

Did it solve the issue for you? Thanks for the link, I will try and do it this weekend. Seems like something I can handle with my limited mechanical skills....

Update:
    The mechanic thinks its a stuck valve in the transmission. They were driving it with a diagnostic plugged in, and were finally able to reproduce the issue (they were having a hard time reproducing it previously).

So they are going to add some cleaning fluid to the transmission, I will drive it for a couple weeks, and then they will flush it out.

Hopefully this works!

If there is a prob with the shift mode selector switch the ECM will but the transmission in a "limp mode" You'll have banging shifts, aparently this is to keep the transmission clutches from being damaged or make sure the transmission doesnt get thrown in reverse when its going 20mph? Youll usually get a hint if the selector switch is going out as your putting the transmission in gear and the P-R-N-D-3-2-L lights on the dash may dance around for just a split second. Typically it will make you raise an eyebrow and if youre like me shrug a shoulder and drive off. long story short i had a shift selector switch go out due to the "shift selector switch shaft seal" (say the 10 times!) gave out. no damage to the transmission but shortly after i got the banging shifts i noticed smoke behind me certainly not a good thing. a quick crawl under the car and noticed the exhaust pipe that goes right next to the selector shift was smoking with tranny oil... The mechanic said that the shift selector usually fails because it gets too hot from being so close to the exhaust or gets too wet from years of splashing water...
    just figured id throw out a "this happened to me" story for anyone that could use the info. hope the lines get cleaned out. When you flush & fill use mobile1 synthetic ATF. Its worth the extra $40 just for piece of mind knowing your running the best stuff you can through the tranny...

thanks Jason-
    sounds like I do NOT have the shift mode selector switch issue then. Thank you for clarifying!

Update:
    Took car in to have the mode selector switch cleaned out, as per this thread

The problem is that it looks like my mode selector switch is sealed with rivets instead of spring steel fasteners. This is what the Transmission place told me
    http://www.westerntransshop.com/
    They want me to see if I can find a replacement switch.

Also, I talked to a different guy at the transmission place this morning, and he suspects it MAY be a bad solenoid; of which there are about 6 of them (I cant remember the exact number he mentioned; maybe 8?). The way he was talking, it sounded like it would be guesswork as to which one to replace to fix the issue, and replacing all of them sounded expensive (no exact $ amount given).

So he suggested that I see if I can locate a new Mode Selector Switch to replace the riveted one I have before we start replacing solenoids.

Also, I have been unable to get an error code for this issue, so that is of no help.

Questions:

Mode Selector Switch:
    1) Why the hell would that be riveted closed? Do I maybe have the mode selector switch from a non-Vehicross?
    2) Is it easy to remove from the transmission so you can remove the rivets?
    3) Where can I get a new one? I thought I read that Merlin no longer sells Vehicross parts, as well as that replacements are somewhat faulty.

Solenoids:
    1) If they have to replace solenoids, is there a way to narrow down which one it is based on the specific issues Im having? IE: it sporadically misses the shift at 27-28 MPH and stays in the lower gear.
    2) Do the solenoids sound like a possible issue, or does anyone think this is not the issue?

I had started a different thread about finding another shop in Los Angeles, and am going to try Westside Transmission instead of Western Transmission to see if another doctor has a different opinion.

All comments, suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks everyone.

creeg, the mode selector switch shouldn't be riveted together. It should be held together with little star screws. I have a spare selector switch at home that I got form another member here. I took it apart and cleaned it out in my garage so your shop should be able to do it. I'm keeping the switch for when mine might go out, but I would be happy to take pictures of the one that I have (both together and apart) if you need me to.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless