Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Excessive whine and front end vibration after installing TOD-off switch

Excessive whine and front end vibration after installing TOD-off switch

Hey guys,

So... I know that there have been people saying that it's not a good idea to install a "TOD-off" switch, and of course I felt like I just had to install it because my TOD was kicking on from the spare tire that I'm running on it while I wait for a new tire that matches the other 3 I have on it right now.

Well I guess I must have made a huge mistake and turned something that was slightly annoying to pretty concerning. I installed the TOD-off switch and noticed that, since then, my VX was running on just the rear wheels - which was fine by me because that's what I wanted - but I also didn't notice anything kicking in when I would push the switch button. So I decided to try shifting into 4L(while in neutral), heard a big ol clunk when I put it into drive, and could definitely hear all 4 wheels moving.

I put it back into 4-Hi and ever since then, I get a front end vibration when moving slowly(>5 mph) and a pretty loud and high pitched whine when moving at faster speeds. I also noticed that if I'm backing up and turning sharply, the VX will stop if I let my foot off the gas to coast backward... This is very concerning and I hope I didn't screw myself over by installing that TOD switch. I bypassed that switch and hooked up the wires so that the ECU was connected as normal and am still experiencing the same issues.

I've searched around the forum for a similar issue but can't find one. If anybody knows about this or knows a previous thread for the same issue, please let me know.

Thanks!

Didn't you know that the TOD is not switcheable so to speak ?

The vehicross is a FULL TIME 4WD vehicule,unless you swap all the drivetrain there's no switch that will "FIX" the vehicule runnning on all wheels because running on all wheel is part of the vehicule profile.

If you gonna drive a VX you got to accept the fact that you can't mess around with it

What you probably did is messing the TOD front sensors,now find out how much they cost to replace them
    Dakar was just the begining.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    If the TOD off switched is installed correctly, there is no reason why it would cause any issues. Seems like the problem arose when you put the T-case in 4lo. The big clunk was probably the drive shaft if you haven't greased the zerks recently. Do you have manual hubs? You need them to properly disconnect the 4wd with a TOD off switch.

(if you have manual hubs) I would start by pulling the pigtail on the TOD ECU. That will ensure its not transferring power to the front and you can see if the issue continues.

Would the sensors be responsible for the vibration? Could they be causing the TOD system to only be partially engaged? I've only owned this one for a few days, and have never owned another AWD vehicle before so I have no idea what malice I have caused.

Quote Originally Posted by HeckaTrebeka View Post
    Would the sensors be responsible for the vibration? Could they be causing the TOD system to only be partially engaged? I've only owned this one for a few days, and have never owned another AWD vehicle before so I have no idea what malice I have caused.
    If a sensor goes out, it will shut TOD off.

Hecka, from what you are describing it sounds like the VX is still in four low. I know that when I put my VX in four low there is definitely more driveline noise, and it gets hard to make sharp turns, forwards or backwards.
    Try putting it in neutral, shift back into four low, put it in reverse and back up a few feet to make sure that everything is engaged. Put it in neutral again and shift back into four high, making sure that the low/high stick is fully engaged in the high gear. Drop it into reverse and back up a few feet again to make sure that everything in the transfer case has released.
    I've had a few instances where the VX didn't completely disengage out of four low and I had to re-shift it to get it to release.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Thanks MSHardeman I'll try that and let you know how it goes.

I just tried what you suggested, but turning sharply still makes the VX come to a stop and the whining noise is still happening... I dunno, I've heard of cases where it gets completely fixed just by putting all the same tires on the car. I'll see what happens if I directly wire the TOD system to the resistors and then report back.

Quote Originally Posted by HeckaTrebeka View Post
    I dunno, I've heard of cases where it gets completely fixed just by putting all the same tires on the car.
    I think this is your main problem from the start, and mucking about with the TOD wiring has now introduced another problem.

I suggest you put the TOD wiring back exactly as if was, and get your tye replaced.
    Just for interest sake, what is the size difference between the 3 tyres, and the spare??

These TOD systems have been known to play up just because tyre pressure is down a little bit on one wheel. With a different OD tyre, all hell breaks loose.

Good luck.

Oh - and welcome to the forum.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

In ADDITION to what PK said you might want to unplug the TOD computee and the battery for 10 minutes to let all the computers reset.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Dont think this is it...but I found this..maybe it will help?

If you have driveline vibrations, take a look at this.
    18.6 MB, 10:25 - http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/...s/drivevibs.rm
    "KILLER BEE" :

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    If the TOD off switched is installed correctly, there is no reason why it would cause any issues. Seems like the problem arose when you put the T-case in 4lo. The big clunk was probably the drive shaft if you haven't greased the zerks recently. Do you have manual hubs? You need them to properly disconnect the 4wd with a TOD off switch.

(if you have manual hubs) I would start by pulling the pigtail on the TOD ECU. That will ensure its not transferring power to the front and you can see if the issue continues.
    This is incorrect advice. The Vx TOD cannot be disengaged due to the internal ball ramp mechanism, or mechanical link.

I wonder where this fellow put the spare? if it's on the rear end that's incorrect, as well, it will screw up everything. Let's find that spare-mounting position out first and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    This is incorrect advice. The Vx TOD cannot be disengaged due to the internal ball ramp mechanism, or mechanical link.
    What's incorrect? That you need manual hubs to disconnect the axles?

Fact: TOD off switch + manual hubs = no power to front wheels

4x4 is disconnected even if the front driveshaft still turns with no load. I don't think it's the correct way to use the TOD but it still works.

I wonder where this fellow put the spare? if it's on the rear end that's incorrect, as well, it will screw up everything. Let's find that spare-mounting position out first and go from there.

um... what?

This has been mentioned on here before, but I just checked my owners manual, and there is no mention of it.
    I think it is good advice, as the different diameter will make the rear Limited Slip Diff work overtime, and could cause longer term problems if left on for too many miles.
    But I do not think that it would affect the TOD any more than putting it on the front.

Of course, that is a free opinion, and we all know what they are worth.

PK

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    What's incorrect? That you need manual hubs to disconnect the axles?

Fact: TOD off switch + manual hubs = no power to front wheels

4x4 is disconnected even if the front driveshaft still turns with no load. I don't think it's the correct way to use the TOD but it still works.

um... what?
    Who said this fella has manual hubs, he only owned the VX for a few days???? Besides with manual hubs one would not a need a TOD off switch.