Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gatorback'd my cladding

looks great
    93 jdm supra; 93 tt rx7; 00 ws6 t/a; 05 bmw z4 (sold)
    05 x-runner; 98 eclipse gs (sold); 99 stang

Quote Originally Posted by vxnewb View Post
    Is gatorback just paint? or like an undercoating w/o the grit?
    This might help.
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

Thanks for the link Knigh7s

I haven't had time to clean it up and take multiple pictures, but I believe this pic of the rear right corner is enough to prove that GB does in fact suffer the same bleed-through issues as other coatings. I believe one of our forum members (can't remember who) used to work in the plastic industry, and said that bleed would always happen, eventually.

Overall I'm happy with the look still, and would likely do it all again but I'm not sure of that. The prep-work took a lot of time. The other coatings/coverings that are hand applied do not have all the masking work that an aerosol application has. Also, one should consider the other treatment used by Sue (VX Kat) and others that was said to be a dye of some sort. If it holds up better than GB, maybe it is the way to go.

I'll likely try to clean mine up and re-spray the faded areas here and there, but I'll have to see what I've got to work with first.

turtle was trim restorer - $8 - used 1/3 of bottle on 2 applications and its lasted 2 months and 5 car washes so far - compared to the mothers back to black that ran if it got wet and needed to be reapplied every other week this stuff is way better - wont give any scratch protection though

i looked at the pics of the before and after for this month's winner of the gatorback avalanche restoration contest and can hardly tell she did anything - looked like a LOT of work though

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by samneil2000 View Post
    I haven't had time to clean it up and take multiple pictures, but I believe this pic of the rear right corner is enough to prove that GB does in fact suffer the same bleed-through issues as other coatings. I believe one of our forum members (can't remember who) used to work in the plastic industry, and said that bleed would always happen, eventually.

Overall I'm happy with the look still, and would likely do it all again but I'm not sure of that. The prep-work took a lot of time. The other coatings/coverings that are hand applied do not have all the masking work that an aerosol application has. Also, one should consider the other treatment used by Sue (VX Kat) and others that was said to be a dye of some sort. If it holds up better than GB, maybe it is the way to go.

I'll likely try to clean mine up and re-spray the faded areas here and there, but I'll have to see what I've got to work with first.

Thanks for the update... I may still give it a go. I like that it puts a coating on the cladding vs other products that dye or condition.

I wonder how well the roll on GB works. Seems like you could skip a lot of the prep work by rolling it on...

Back to Black still working like a charm for me. Looks like new everytime I wash the LittleBeast.

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    I wonder how well the roll on GB works. Seems like you could skip a lot of the prep work by rolling it on...
    I haven't seen that type but I agree that it sounds like it would save a lot of work. Taping off the cladding while trying to make sure you get around the lip of it, right against the body, is a job! Especially with all the curves.

Back to black wears out ... I found Mequirs Black works better. Plus found a spray at auto zone that works great on wiper blades. Going to replace my bra with it. It's a coating that goes on before uncoating. Armor something. Now why does everyone paint cladding while on VX?