Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: HD Torsion Bars: Independent4x.com

Exclamation HD Torsion Bars: Independent4x.com

Hi all!

The Heavy Duty VX Torsion Bars are now available again in limited quantity at Independent4x.com!
    https://www.independent4x.com/mercha...products_id=86

They have 10 sets left!
    (as of 6/22/2012 - 11:45am Pacific time).

I've been on the waiting list since Dec. 2011...
    Mine shipped out on Tuesday and should be here early next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm so stoked!

From what I've heard from multiple sources, these are total experience changers for the VX. (up there with mods like the 5-speed swap, V8 swap, etc...)
    Granted.. they are a little expensive (paid ~$500, shipped to Las Vegas).

GO GET EM!!!

---JIM---
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Forgive my ignorance but whats the purpose of them? The vx already has stiff suspension and its not like your going to bend the factory torsion bars. So whats the goal of the upgrade?
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    x2..

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but whats the purpose of them? The vx already has stiff suspension and its not like your going to bend the factory torsion bars. So whats the goal of the upgrade?
    I'm intrigued!

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Others that have used them, please chime in too...)

From what I understand, especially on VX's that have "springy" suspensions, they really firm them up, and give a much more controlled ride/feel.

Analogy: like upgrading from a minivan to a Chevy 3500.
    (+ or -)

They are great for lifted VXs as well.

Here is a link to my previous thread discussing them:

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthr...ght=hd+torsion

My motivation for buying them:

The rear of mine is really stiff with the OME 919 springs. But the fronts are so cranked (to match the rear height) that when I hit a bump (like a speed bump), the un-sprung force really slaps hard when it springs... I have to be careful... It's more embarrassing than anything.
    I want to match the feel of the rear to the front.

Also, I want upgraded fronts for when I swap to V8.

More info:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...2&postcount=50
    Last edited by SilverBullet75 : 06/22/2012 at 12:14 PM

-
    Last edited by SilverBullet75 : 06/22/2012 at 12:15 PM Reason: too much info... condensing.

I installed a set on my race VX yesterday. Very interested to see how much suspension improvement I get out of them. They are VERY beefy bars.

Awesome! Let me know how you like them!

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Thread jack..

Hey Silver B..you have a PM from days ago.

Let me know!

And now back to your regular sch:thumbup :eduling

Jo

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    oh ok i see. that makes sense, except in your case silver. When you hit a speed bump, that 'slapping' your hearing is probably your shocks being maxed out and bottoming out, isnt it?

Stiffer torsion bars are just going to make it slap more often, isnt it?

I guess it would help a lot to ride in a VX before and after to understand.

I'm not trying to hate on your thread or upgrade, i just want to understand why they are worth $500? I mean, generally on a VX, if you are really cranked up for a big lift, your shocls are going to be your limiting point on your front end, not how far the spring will push the a-arms, right?

Talking

Maybe I'm just not describing the "slapping" very well... I'm really not sure HOW to describe it.

Ok, here's another crazy analogy for you:

Remember when we were kids and we used to have "pencil fights"?
    One person would pull back tension on a standard #2 pencil, trying to break the opponent's #2 pencil.
    You'd have to pull it back with a lot of, and just the right amount of force, so that it would push through the opponent's pencil sharply and quickly... with a "slap".

Now, there was always that one kid that had that one "SPECIAL" pencil... the 1/2" thick pencil he won at the arcade with a bunch of tickets from skee-ball.

When this pencil was pulled back, there was very little bend, a lot more downward thrust, and a much heavier hit.

So, the #2 pencil aggressor = my 14-cranked stock torsion bars.
    The 1/2" pencil = the HD torsion bars.
    The opponent = the road.

Wow... I come up with the craziest analogies. LOL

I think more torsion strength means slower response time. So...you get the bump impulse a bit later upon impact???? Is this good? Don't know, but possibly more cushy ride? (Emulating if you will.... a heavier longer wheel base ride vehicle?) Have to puzzle this out?

Think of it as putting a higher rate spring in a sports car. It takes more weight or impact to compress the spring than a standard spring, there by increasing vehicle control by reducing roll, dive, and bounce. When we crank our torsion bars, we are taking them out of their normal range and they don't react the same as at stock ride height due in part to the new higher center of gravity creating a sensation of being undersprung. The HD torsion bars counteract this by making it harder to compress, or bend in the case of torsion bars, the springs when hitting a bump or making a turn. Putting HD torsion bars and equally stiff rear springs on a non lifted, stock VX would cause a very stiff and uncomfortable ride.

I could elaborate further, but that's the gist of it.
    Last edited by RabidPony : 06/23/2012 at 01:07 PM

Update: I've been adjusting and tuning my new torsion bars over the past couple days and am very happy with the end result. You have to keep cranking on them to get the spring out of the front end. I am not sure I would intall them if you haven't lifter your truck. I have OME 919 springs on the back which gives me a wheel opening measurement (with 33s) of 38 1/2 inches. With the bars ajusted up front I measure an even 38". I am getting excited to see how it will perform for the next race, looks like there is goint to be a LOT of air time in this one.

Talking

Installed mine this morning in about 1.5 hours! Cleaning the stock parts was the biggest time taker. Easy job...
    So far I love them... Only have about 1 mile of use on them though.

Buffy, I have the exact setup you have, lift-wise and height measurement-wise. I see now what you mean about needing to take out the springiness.
    How did you do so? Are you talking about re-indexing?

Quote Originally Posted by RabidPony View Post
    The HD torsion bars counteract this by making it harder to compress, or bend in the case of torsion bars,
    FWIW, the torsion bars don't bend, they twist. The spring rate comes from the actual twisting of the steel. That is why when we reindex them, we change how much "pretwist" we put on them, which if you are still stock, when you adjust the ride height by cranking the bolts, you are actually just twisting them a bit more, and that torsion is transferred to the front suspension and tries to push the tire down, in effect lifting the front end up Hence the loss of downtravel in the front suspension. We use that potential down travel to lift the front end higher.

What I really want are new rear lower links so I can get rid of my forward rake on the rear axle

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson