Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New project ride!

New project ride!

Well, I finally managed to talk the g/f into trading in the old Hyundai Sonata. Not that it was a bad car, we just wanted something that was better in winter weather and could lug around more stuff (kids, pets, luggage, etc). So, we settled on a 2012 Subaru Forester Premium yesterday. No matter how much I nudged her towards the XT, she was just not at all interested in a turbo. Ah well. But, she ended up walking away with a pretty little dark gray with nearly everything but the turbo. She agreed that if I were to drop down a pretty penny on it, I could mod it to my heart's content. Pretty sad but, it has only been in the driveway for 10 hrs and I have already ordered plenty of goodies. The bug has begun.... again.

What I really have in mind with it....

Just in time too. I am done with my STi, so the mod bug timing couldn't be any better.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post

Just in time too. I am done with my STi, so the mod bug timing couldn't be any better.
    Haha now thats really funny... Done modding an STI? Good one!

Congrats on the new purchase! gotta love a subi fam
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Definitely interested to hear what you think of it once you get settled in. The wife and I are debating between a Forrester and an Outback (amongst other options) but are leaning toward the latter for the cargo room.

To bad those bushwackers are a one and done!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I like it!

(BTW Guess what kind of car I've been thinking your hood-scooped VX looks like lately)?
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    To bad those bushwackers are a one and done!
    Ya, that is a bummer. This bad news flowed all over our Subie forums some time ago and a petition was even laid out to try to pressure them into some sort of limited deal even. Bushwacker wouldn't budge. Not sure what they are thinking really.

pbkid, yep, done. As far as performance anyways. I go much further and she will start bordering street legal (which isnt saying much for MD). I will eventually just trade her in and start over anyways.

vt, I totally love it. It's an N/A so it totally lacks the power that I crave, but it surprisingly still has some zest to it. And the room is actually quite nice. Adequate with the rear seats in place, and quite plentiful with them rolled down. There is more headroom in the Forester compared to the Outback, so you can probably get larger items and stack higher than in the Outback, but the Outback may be slightly longer in cargo room. I also like that you sit higher than the Outback, so bigger plus for me. The Outbacks tend to be a bit higher in price, but they are quite damned nice as well.

I Love It , congrats on new buy.
    My wife loves her blue WRX, but we want to get a little bigger one rather this or next year. Good news is, she loves Subaru now, so we staying in the family, a forester in the future sounds good, and even better news, the blue WRX stays with me .
    Last edited by CoastieCosta567 : 06/13/2012 at 03:59 AM

Whats the Point of Living, if You don't go BIG.....
    Turning My VX Into Rally VX

Coastie, it's really not a myth when people say, once you go Subie, you can't go back. Myself and many others I know have gotten that same "itis", heh. My buddy Sven just took possession of his 2012 WRX hatchback last week after trading in that god awful Fiat500 of his. It's all I hear about now.

So yesterday, I picked up a sport grille, window visors, and fender trim for the Forester. I already started shopping around for some wheels the g/f may like so she can pick some out. The stockers aren't too bad looking, but at 17x7.5 (225/55), they leave little room to do much with. Last year I put 18x8.5 (245/45) on my mom's Forester and they look great, so probably gonna go around that route.

Still.... wishing she were in the market for a turbo. REALLY want to tune a Forester XT.

So is Subaru launching a next-gen Forrester anytime soon, or at least a mid-cycle refresh of the interior? I was major bummed that you couldn't get factory navi in the Forrester when we looked a few years ago.

Nice!

I like the new XV Crosstrek.

Post some pics!

Mav, I saw a couple of factory nav/sats in the Foresters when I was there. They had a BEAUTIFUL obsidian black pearl on the showroom floor that had EVERYTHING, but the turbo ($23k). Which surprises me really, and makes me kinda happy to see, because it's nice that they would extend the accessories from the XT to the other trim type Foresters. You are right though, they didn't previously do this.

Resurrecting this thread... Subaru did do a major update to the Forester for 2014 which won them Motor Trend's SUV of the Year award, so when the wife's Axiom blew a head gasket and/or head and/or block (one of the head bolts seized so we're still not sure where the problem is) it was an opportune time to move on. We looked hard at both the CX-5 and the Forester, but in the end we chose the Forester because it has a superior AWD system and because it has a higher cargo weight capacity, both on the roof and overall. I did a lot of research on the engine choices (NA 2.5 or FI 2.0) and after reading lots of reports of oil consumption FROM THE FACTORY on the 2.5 it made the turbo an easy choice. Well that and the fact that the turbo is stupid fast. Criminally fast for a tall wagon / CUV. To give you some perspective, it's 80hp hotter than the 2.5, and has a power-to-weight ratio of 1:14 rather than the 1:20 ratio of the 2.5 Forester, CX-5, or Axiom for that matter. Should be a blast.

We had to order it so it won't be here until Thursday or Friday. I'll post pics then.

And now, head on over to....

http://www.subimods.com/

and

http://www.get-primitive.com/

The sky is the limit now....

Damn you Gary...

Post pics! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Bart