Thread: OEM P0440 troublecode

OEM P0440 troublecode

Am trying to find the purge valve on my 1999 VX but not sure where it is or what it looks like. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

P0440 is usually a loose or leaking gas cap. But the purge solenoid should be on the engine in front of and below the throttle body. This pic shows the hoses going to it. You should see a small hose coming from the manifold just below the PCV hose and going into a much larger hose. That goes into the purge solenoid.

--Dave

Wanted to make a note of the problem responsible for my very hard to diagnose P0440 code. He called it a fuel tank solenoid valve I believe. Near the gas tank. It wasn't the solenoid itself, but the wire that goes in to it had come undone. Took him hours to find it.

Been there, done that...

Unfortunately I don't have pics to help you out, but I had that same recurring trouble code. A new gas cap didn't stop the code from coming back, and I ended up having the dealer service dept. fix it. One of the only times my regular mechanic (and a second go-to shop) failed to troubleshoot & fix a gremlin in my VX. No more code once the valve was replaced. Good luck!

Another thread... http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=21364

P.S. Did anyone ever find out if it was a Thingamabob or a Doohickey?
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

Mine has been throwing a Po440 code for over 4 years now. Just buy yourself a scangage, reset it every few weeks as it pops up. I did the whole purge valve and gas cap blah blah blah and so on. Didn't work, only thing left is an electrical gremlin or that charcoal canister in the back. Probably the cansiter. But since it doesn't affect the truck at all, I choose to ignore it So if its gonna cost more than 100 bucks to fix, just ge tthe scangage, then you can monitor everything about your truck, realtime voltage, mpg speedo adjust for larger tires and so on. Plus, you can change the screen color to match your dash or you head unit It even has purple!! (That was for you Sue )
    http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/

Don't buy it there, it is much cheaper on Ebay.
    Last edited by Marlin : 01/31/2013 at 03:07 PM

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson