Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: v8 swap help

v8 swap help

How's it going everyone, I just bought my first VX and absolutely love it. I'm no first timer to Isuzu though I had an 02 Trooper LS a few years back so I already knew about the serious underpower of the 3.5. I want to do a v8 swap but I'm just trying to weigh my options here. I have heard the Northstar is a great fit and the stock transmission links up, but I wouldn't do it the one I have needs to be serviced as is. I bought the rig already with the intentions to swap out the motor. However I have also started thinking to go Ford and put in a 5.0, I imagine it will fit as the autopro guys in MD are putting a gm 5.3 in one. Which brings me to my next issue, which transmission is the way to go? If I go Northstar should I get a turbo 400? Will that fit in the VX? For the 5.0 I was thinking along the lines of a c4, a buddy of mine builds Mustangs for a living so I can get a great deal on the drivetrain, just want to make sure everything will link up. Also how much do you think the other miscellaneous stuff will be wiring harness mounts etc. Thanks a lot for any help.

as far as fit

since no one has done it your Ford friend would be best at determining that
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

The main concerns about the Northstar being installed were if the stock puny transmission in the VX would survive without the engines power being substantially de-rated. A TH400 is a pretty compact transmission so it ought to fit. Ford stuff usually=more money than GM with less of an active aftermarket utilization. You can find GM LS series engines being converted to power just about everything on the planet that moves.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

best/cheapest way to go is a 5.3 truck motor/ 4l60e 4x4 trans, dana 300 t-case and a novak adapter kit to make everything work...

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    The main concerns about the Northstar being installed were if the stock puny transmission in the VX would survive without the engines power being substantially de-rated. A TH400 is a pretty compact transmission so it ought to fit. Ford stuff usually=more money than GM with less of an active aftermarket utilization. You can find GM LS series engines being converted to power just about everything on the planet that moves.
    Would the th400 link up to the 3.5? My current oem tranny is not doing so well and I am looking to replace that first for the time being. What about the 4l60e will that link up to the 3.5 as well?

Quote Originally Posted by gstguy97 View Post
    best/cheapest way to go is a 5.3 truck motor/ 4l60e 4x4 trans, dana 300 t-case and a novak adapter kit to make everything work...
    I was thinking that it seems the best way to go. Don't you lose TOD though? Is there a way to go v8 and keep TOD?

The guys at AutoPro are working on one to do that.

You likely get to keep TOD if you only replace the engine. The TOD works off of the transfer case which is married to the transmission. Having TOD without the stock transmission/transfer case is close to impossible to expect. You have to keep in mind that TOD is just Isuzu branding for an early traction control system. As far as a TH400 bolting up, I don't know. I have an intense personal hatred for automatics I do believe however that someone on this forum was looking into what would bolt up and doing a little more than talking about it so you might try searching a little more. Also, read this so you don't get your hopes up:

Originally Posted by AutoPros
    Have a '99 that one of our customers wanted to remove the poor running 3.5L for a more popular motor to source parts for. Bring on the GM Performance 5.3L E-ROD! GM 4L60-E Transmission! GM Performance Supermatic Controller! Advance Adapters to Jeep Dana 300 Transfer Case! Retain A/C, Power Steering, 4WD, pretty much everything other than TOD. Still in fab process, but will update with photos as the progress continues.

oops, misread

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    You likely get to keep TOD if you only replace the engine. The TOD works off of the transfer case which is married to the transmission. Having TOD without the stock transmission/transfer case is close to impossible to expect. You have to keep in mind that TOD is just Isuzu branding for an early traction control system. As far as a TH400 bolting up, I don't know. I have an intense personal hatred for automatics I do believe however that someone on this forum was looking into what would bolt up and doing a little more than talking about it so you might try searching a little more. Also, read this so you don't get your hopes up:
    Okay yeah I want to get a new tranny my current one is ehh at best. So if i go 4l60e or th400 and have the dana transfer case I should be able to keep TOD, that's good to know I mean it isnt the end of the world to lose it but it would be nice to have I always liked it since my trooper. I was researching and the 5.3 is the cheapest way to go for sure, I just have to get all the little stupid **** manifolds, wiring, etc. I would love to convert it to a manual but that would be too much for me right now. I'm gonna get in touch with the autopro guys from Maryland see what they say about the th cause I found a few for only 1200 new, the 4l is almost 1800 from gm.

I think there is something you're misreading. If you dont keep the stock transmission/transfer case, then you are going to lose TOD. With any other automatic or manual transmission and transfer case, you are going to be locked into either 2WD or 4WD. Thats it. And the 4WD is 50/50 front to rear power split with no adjustments. TOD lives in the stock transfer case, so a dana or any other case just doesnt have it.

Keeping the factory TOD is near impossible, there are just so many issues with adapters and control integration with any of the TOD options that its not worth the time, money and aggrivation.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoPros View Post
    Keeping the factory TOD is near impossible, there are just so many issues with adapters and control integration with any of the TOD options that its not worth the time, money and aggrivation.
    This is why I don't understand the fascination with going the V8 route. If you swap the auto tranny for the AR-5 5-speed you keep TOD, get a more power-capable transmission, and you can bolt up to the Ecotec turbo 4-bangers that (when tuned with the factory kit) make well over 300 HP. That gives you equivalent power plus less weight and better fuel economy.

But you guys are the experts actually turning wrenches. Is there a hole in that theory?

I would much prefer a real teansfer case to the TOD...of course my interests lie outside the typical road use.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by AutoPros View Post
    Okay well it's not the end of the world. I'm thinking of doing the swap you guys did do you have say a digital copy with the steps it took to do the swap and the necessary parts? If not could I call you so I can get some of the information. Also would the 4l65e from the Axiom be able to link to the erod? I can find one of those for considerably less.
    Last edited by imfraeglasgow : 05/25/2012 at 03:18 AM