Thread: Aftermarket Timing Belt

Aftermarket Timing Belt

In case anyone missed my earlier post with questions on the timing belt change, here's a link to my experience using an eBay kit...

http://vehicross.blogspot.com/2012/0...ming-belt.html

Going on my 2nd week with no issues. I did have to top-up the radiator and reservoir but I had expected that.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Very nice write-up

I'm going to have to get this done soon, since I now know the previous owner did not change the belt at 120k. I found an eBay kit I want to use, but don't have the tools to tackle it myself. I am tempted though to send this link to the shop I will use

One question: it seems like maybe you skipped a few photos between taking the serpentine off and getting to the timing belt? Removal of the covers? Or maybe that's just too obvious a step to need to show.

Anyway, nicely done. I hope it's still running smoothly.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    If you got the skillz then buy the tools you need...It will be cheaper in the long run plus you'll have tools to use for your next project.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

I link to a pdf guide in my post (it's also linked to from VX.info) that goes over all of those steps, so I didn't want to repeat everything.

-- John
    Last edited by johnnyapollo : 05/05/2012 at 05:47 AM Reason: misspelled "link"

Bart (gasmask) did an excellent tutorial a while back, a complete step by step. The job is actually very easy, (if you follow the steps closely....and don't get creative ) Easily done in a few hours with moderate mech skills

Ditto, if you follow the step by step instructions it's really not a difficult job at all. One word of caution, though; getting the crank shaft pulley off was dang near impossible for me. I even made one of Bart's tools out of flat bar stock and a couple of bolts, but ended up bending the carp out of it and the pulley didn't budge. Ended up having to place the breaker bar and socket on the nut, and then braced the breaker bar against the frame rail. Gave the ignition a quick bump (scary ) and that loosened everything up.

OH, I also ended up stripping out the hole in the engine block for the idler pulley, I think. It was that or the tensioner pulley. Either way, I guess the bolt was "welded" to the block due to the different metals, and I stripped the block just trying to back the bolt out. Had to have a more mechanically inclined friend come over to drill out the block, tap the new hole, and install a heli-coil. New bolt went in without issue, and I haven't had a problem at all.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Ended up having to place the breaker bar and socket on the nut, and then braced the breaker bar against the frame rail. Gave the ignition a quick bump (scary ) and that loosened everything up..
    I think that falls under "getting creative" lol. Glad it worked.

The shop that serviced my transmission already said they would be ok if I brought in a eBay kit and had them install it (because I was talking tech with the owner, and wearing my "Triumph" motorcycle cap - somehow meaning I know my stuff ). I can wrench, but I also *really* don't want to screw anything up, and these guys did a really nice job for me once already.

My VX is my only vehicle other than my motorcycle, so I am a little nervous about putting it out of commission.

About the crank shaft pulley - an impact driver takes it right off. I didn't even bother with the pneumatic one - my handy 18v Dewalt worked like a charm (you see it in one photo). And yes it's Bart's write up that I link to:

http://isuzugeek.org/howtos/tbelt/tbelt.htm

-- John

I cheat.....I've air tools. My Snap-On impact claims 700fp forward and 800fp in reverse.
    popped right off

My problem was that I didn't have an impact driver, electric or otherwise. Another member here (VXorado I think) told me about the breaker bar against the frame trick. I was a little creeped out about it, but it worked just fine.

But, yes, and impact driver would be the way to go.