Thread: A pillar repair

A pillar repair

Hey whats going on everybody. I just received a quote from my mechanic on a repair on the elusive ongoing water leak that I have been having. I have seen it posted before and wanted to know it my estimate was comparable to others who have had this problem also. The description of the repair that the mechanic wants to perform is to fix both body welds on the a pillars, through removing and more than likely replacing the windshield if it dosen't break. Finally grinding and re-welding the seams , and putting it all back together. Total cost of around seven hundred bucks. Is this comparable to others repair costs? I love the VX but I don't like driving and aquarium.
    Roads.... Where Were Going We Don't Need Roads!

I don't know man. If it was me, I'd probably try some sort of expanding spray-on waterproof foam sealant or RTV in the areas being described by your mechanic before I'd start having seams re-welded. You start doing that, and you might fix your water leaks, but you'd then produce a lot of new areas in the process susceptible to future rust.

You might try the expanding foam sealant or RTV route up in the cowl area first and see how it goes. I'm talking about the area under the plastic cover for the windshield wipers. Take the wipers off, take the plastic cowl off, clean everything up and apply sealant to suspect areas as needed.

That is, unless your mechanic knows for sure those seams are where your leaks are occurring, but even then, some sealant might still be all that's needed.

The price is ok, I paid like 800ish to have a large strip of rust repaired on the to of my windshield frame. That involved pretty much the same as youre describing.

However I agree with y33. I would try some silicon sealant on those areas. IIRC the pillar usually is not what leaks. I would try pulling the carpet back to expose metal and put some talc or baby powder in a thin coat around the areas you suspect of leakimg. Then when it rains you wil have a clear indication of the path the water takes to get in

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"