Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for Leveling Out Suspension?

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Wouldnt this completely screw up.....

Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    Have you thought about running different size rear wheels and tires, and swapping them out for what's on the roof once you get to the meet?
    ...the working of the TOD?

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Regardless there's not enough room up there for two spare tires. And God would that look awful...

Well then, we're getting real creative here...how about a helper coil spring within your existing coil rear spring? Double coil set ups have been used for your situation before, on other types of vehicles , of course.

Another option...
    Buy yourself a small trailer to haul all your "weight" in to tow behind utilizing your hitch...simply disconnect when you get to Moab...easy, peaset, problem solved
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Another option...
    Buy yourself a small trailer to haul all your "weight" in to tow behind utilizing your hitch...simply disconnect when you get to Moab...easy, peaset, problem solved
    Revolutionary!
    Check out VehiCROSSAmerica on Facebook or @VehiXAmerica on Twitter

When the airbags are deflated, they are just along for the ride so I don't think that they would suffer any damage during off road use.

However, the ones on my RV have a minimum psi rating & I don't know why. I would suggest that you call the company (they have a support line listed in the 'contact us' tab). Ask them at least these 3 questions:

1. Do the airbags have a minimum psi recommendation & why?

2. The VX has an incredible amount of rear suspension travel. Will this cause any damage to the airbags as long as the rear coil springs remain in their perches?

3. Why do they list one compatable with the '99 VX and not for '00 or '01? Is there a difference in the suspension (AFAIK there is not)?

BTW, the airbags have very little volume and lower max pressure than tires. Any little compressor will air them up just fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by deermagnet View Post
    They have a kit for the VX-
    http://www.airliftcompany.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeDVcTNPQGs

The Air Lift 1000 kit is $130 and easy to install.

Mark

x2, me likey the air bags. The small trailer idea is good too; heck, you could even rent a small minature U-Haul lockable enclosed utility trailer just for the trip and return it when you arrive back home.

Certainly a trailer would add the capacity I need but it would be pretty expensive - remember I'm not just traveling out to see you guys in Moab but I'm also going to spend two weeks with the wife's family in Wisconsin afterwards. Renting a U-Haul for 3-4 weeks or buying a trailer outright would be pretty expensive and a lot more of a headache to drive, park, etc.

I'm going to give these air bag guys a call with Tom's questions above and then go from there. If it actually works I think it would be something everybody might be interested in seeing in action.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    I'm going to give these air bag guys a call with Tom's questions above and then go from there. If it actually works I think it would be something everybody might be interested in seeing in action.

Good on you, VT. I look forward to your feedback regarding the air bags. My OEM stock height VX see-saws/bounces up & down on the rear (with OEM rear springs) when I go slow over shopping mall speed bumps. With your feedack; I'm hoping the air bags will stiffin' up the rear and eliminate the rear-end bounce/see-saw effect, without adding increased rear-end lift in height.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    My OEM stock height VX see-saws/bounces up & down on the rear (with OEM rear springs) when I go slow over shopping mall speed bumps. With your feedack; I'm hoping the air bags will stiffin' up the rear and eliminate the rear-end bounce/see-saw effect, without adding increased rear-end lift in height.

That would be a shock issue...
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Just had a thought... maybe I should put stock bump stops / spring helpers back on for the ride to limit the bouncing?

Just had a thought... maybe I should put stock bump stops / spring helpers back on for the ride to limit the bouncing?
    by spring helpers, I assume you mean the airbags = sounds like your best option.

OEM bump stops = probably overkill with the airbags. The only reason that I could see to put the OEM bumpstops back on is to ensure that at full articulation of the rear suspension, they MIGHT keep the spring from leaving it's perch.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wink

Renting a U-Haul for 3-4 weeks or buying a trailer outright would be pretty expensive and a lot more of a headache to drive, park, etc.
    Uh-kaayyyyy...

I'm gonna throw my 3 centavos in right here.

I picked up a 4 square trailer from Northern Tool & Supply for under $400.00 a few yrs ago...

Outfitted it with a diamond plate box & fabbed a tire/wheel mount.

It's a pretty handy lil' unit, & the ricer wing adds lift....for better mileage.........

Also, it's light enough to disconnect, then park it by hand. On the OTHER side of the coin... It's a real PAIN to back into anything that resembles a parking spot, due to the short wheelbase(s) of the trailer/tow vehicle.

Good to know, thanks Dub! The driving/parking is really a big deal on this trip as drive-thru's make the trip MUCH faster/easier with the kids. Our oldest is in that all-meals-must-last-at-least-90-minutes phase right now...

I thought you already had your OEM Spring Helpers back in place. If you put them on you probably won't sag as much. Just a thought, from the "Spring Helper Guy".