Thread: Suggestions for Leveling Out Suspension?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Suggestions for Leveling Out Suspension?

I know this seems like a rather repetitive question that I should know the answer to already, but hear me out... Now that I have the tom4bren hitch that mounts directly to the frame rails I get serious rear sag when I'm fully loaded with weight (roof rack with full size spare, swing-out cargo box with luggage, two kids + dog, etc.). Not enough to touch the tires or anything, but enough to have probably 2 inches more vertical clearance in the front wheel well than in the back. Obviously driving nose up is not exactly the most fuel efficient method of travel, and I'm also a bit worried about what wear I might be doing to the CVs.

So it seems like I have a few choices:
    1. Add taller/stiffer springs in the rear but don't crank the torsion bar any more than they already are
    2. "De-crank" the torsion bars to lower the front and create more downward rake
    3. Install an air ride / leveling system (not realistic due to time or $$$)
    4. Install taller/firmer springs for the journey to Moab, swap OEM springs in for the trail runs, then reinstall taller/firmer springs for the ride home.

Options 1 and 2 are both going to result in a serious funny car look when I take the cargo box off in Moab. While that might be funny to watch I'm more concerned about doing a higher-than-normal amount of trail faceplants because of it. Option 3 is unrealistic so option 4 seems like it might be best, assuming somebody at The Stoop would be willing to give me a hand (and by that I mean do it while I hold your beer like the girly man that I am ).

Other thoughts? Suggestions? Maybe somebody makes a spring with the same uncompressed height as the OEM spring but with stiffer compression?
    Last edited by vt_maverick : 04/23/2012 at 06:46 PM