Thread: FJ style half doors; possible???

FJ style half doors; possible???

So, I got to looking at the the FJ Cruiser, and the similarities of body styling really struck me. The FJ is, to my eye, a boxy VX, with the side opening rear door with a small rear window, wide "C" pillar, and poor rear visibility all around.

As soon as I saw that, the next time I had to fight to get my kid to be able to clamber into the back seat, I thought, "I wonder if I could modify my VX to have a set of suicide rear half doors, just like on the FJ?"

I really don't know much about the structural design of the VX, does this seem like something that could be done, if I could find a real, live, auto body mad scientist?

Anything can be done given enough time and $$$.

Have you read about the seat extenders at all?

Big help for loading into the rear seat.

Thanks! I'll send Tom4bren a Pm to see if he has any handy.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Absolutely it can be done. If you're good with metal and body work it shouldn't be terribly hard to create a functional door but it will be very time consuming. Also, think of the little details like sealing the door frame, the inner panel of the new door(s), and beefing up the the roof structure or installing a roll cage.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    lots of this $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

probably more than your VX is worth....
    not to play buzz killington, but if a motorized sunroof costs $2000+, adding a door is going be 7k plus is my guess...

Quote Originally Posted by housertl View Post
    So, I got to looking at the the FJ Cruiser, and the similarities of body styling really struck me. The FJ is, to my eye, a boxy VX, with the side opening rear door with a small rear window, wide "C" pillar, and poor rear visibility all around.

As soon as I saw that, the next time I had to fight to get my kid to be able to clamber into the back seat, I thought, "I wonder if I could modify my VX to have a set of suicide rear half doors, just like on the FJ?"

I really don't know much about the structural design of the VX, does this seem like something that could be done, if I could find a real, live, auto body mad scientist?
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post

not to play buzz killington, but if a motorized sunroof costs $2000+, adding a door is going be 7k plus is my guess...
    OH, I know it would be stooopid expensive....just kind of wondering if it could be done. WHo knows, I could win the lotto.

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post

Not expensive if you do it yourself...under $1000 for sure . If you cleanly cut the panels off, its all body work and structure build.

If you believe "time is money" than yeah it would cost about $1,000,000,000 in personal time.

I have my VX taken apart right now, and unless you literally do custom sheetmetal for a living, I think it's going to look like a mutant abortion. The lines just aren't there to do it right, and the safety side of cutting into the B pillar is dubious at best. Could it be done? Absolutley. Is it going to car makeover show style montage to do it? Hells yes.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

i have a friend who is an original owner of an ebony. shes doing this to hers soon. making hers a 3 door. ill let everyone know the outcome. i dont think shes a member here, even though ive told her about the site several times.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    I have my VX taken apart right now, and unless you literally do custom sheetmetal for a living, I think it's going to look like a mutant abortion. The lines just aren't there to do it right, and the safety side of cutting into the B pillar is dubious at best. Could it be done? Absolutley. Is it going to car makeover show style montage to do it? Hells yes.
    I have to agree with Ascinder. I looked at my VX last night trying to visualize fj doors and can't see it working.

Here's a paint mock up, I personally don't like the door seam through the rear pillar.

Last edited by VXorado : 04/13/2012 at 07:18 AM

Just make the whole side one big lambo door...put a center column behind the center console for support.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    I have to agree with Ascinder. I looked at my VX last night trying to visualize fj doors and can't see it working.

Here's a paint mock up, I personally don't like the door seam through the rear pillar.
    You would have to figure out a new seat belt config too, though that is not insurmountable. Plenty have vehicles have them coming out of the top of the seat (which I hate because my shoulder is usually taller than the seatback).

I just posted in Wanted and am designing a half-door project but for just the existing doors, not a rear FJ style. Brilliant minds...
    -Wekilled
    douglaswekell(at)gmail.com