Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: K&N Apollo Cold Air Intake installed...

Thumbs up K&N Apollo Cold Air Intake installed...

OK folks, here's the pics and info I promised...

The K&N Apollo "universal" intake kit is NOT a universal kit, and does not come with the needed accessories to mount the kit. That said... I highly recommend doing this mod if you would like a little extra performance. The kit is normally close to (or over) $200, but I found the it on Ebay for just under $90. Add the bracket (part #856004) for $21, and the 70mm - 80mm silicone adaptor (part #856001) for $19. Install it yourself, of have your trusted mechanic do it for you, and let the grins begin!

As you can see, it lines up nicely with the air duct from fender and I opted to not use the flex tube that came with the kit.

The performance gain was noticeable, and it sounds wicked! I have the PV1 cat-back exhaust system, and now my VX has an intake to complement the exhaust!

The bracket needed to be tweaked a bit, but it worked. Why parts you need are not included in the kit just does not make sense... just charge an extra $50, and include EVERYTHING.
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

Amazon has a few of them as well. Also gives you a package deal with everything you listed in the "frequently bought together"

http://www.amazon.com/K-N-85-6001-Ho...=pd_sim_auto_5

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    That looks familiar.

I agree with everything posted above. I was also surprised the kit wasn't complete since it's listed as "universal." The air flow seems adequate and it makes a nice sound pulling air. Also, the intake body is water tight & hooks up to a snorkel nicely.

Water tight?

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    Water tight?
    (when connected to a snorkel or breather tube)

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnalVX View Post
    Why parts you need are not included in the kit just does not make sense... just charge an extra $50, and include EVERYTHING.
    http://www.amazon.com/57A-6044-57i-S...sbs_03_02_t_lh

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...?prod=57a-6044

Is this everything in one kit?

It would certainly appear to be. However, the bracket appears to be different and it is bit more expensive than the amazon bundle linked above. However, it does come with a bit more stuff.

Thumbs up

I topped off the VX's gas yesterday, and again today just to see if there was any improvement in M.P.G. since putting the intake on. The numbers were crunched by Cece & myself just to make sure there was not any error...

I went from getting an average of around 13mpg to a whopping 23mpg !!! Granted, I only used about a gallon of gas. However, I figure that (as more gas is used, and the VX gets lighter) these results will only get better...

My previous best was 19mpg on the highway when the VX was bone stock. I should have done this AGES ago!

The percentage volatility in such a small measurement renders this observation completely and utterly futile.

Think of it, if you didn't empty the hose the same way, that could be almost half of your "about a gallon" pumped.

But hey, at least you didn't get too optimistic!

-V
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-

Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    The percentage volatility in such a small measurement renders this observation completely and utterly futile.
    I agree. A one gallon observation is not significant or reliable.

It takes at least a whole tank and really two is better.

Don't forget to reset the ECM (disconnect the battery) and drive a few miles before you start the process!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

While you're doing scientific research with this method, can you give us a speedo accuracy check from one revolution of your wheels?

Personally, I was thinking of installing an instantaneous mileage readout just under the fuel gauge on the dash.

I figure a sticker that says "CRAP" ought to be sufficient.

What VX? Rodeo Crew Cab, Jackaroo chassis, Supercharged 3.5, Navara tub (!!)
    Qwners handbook entry:
    "This vehicle is fitted with an Isuzu 3.5 litre V6. If you are more concerned about fuel consumption than the Isuzu awesomeness we suggest you purchase a Toyota Prius"
    The answer is more power! What was the question?

I moved from 1970 Torino Cobra 429, to a 1982 Mustang GT 5.0, and finally the VehiCross. I think the gas mileage is GREAT!!

It's all relative. I would never try to compare it to my CBR600!
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

How about a little more feedback about the mileage improvement now that you have over a year and a half usage since the installation. My neighbor installed a cold air intake and Magnaflow exhaust system on his Chevy truck. Big performance improvement and gas mileage too he said. Seems like when performance goes up, mileage goes down. But what do I know? Thats why I'm asking.
    3" suspension lift, shocks: Rancho 9000, tires 33"x11.5", wheels 16"x8", offset= 0, no front sway bar

Quote Originally Posted by Maddawg View Post
    How about a little more feedback about the mileage improvement now that you have over a year and a half usage since the installation. My neighbor installed a cold air intake and Magnaflow exhaust system on his Chevy truck. Big performance improvement and gas mileage too he said. Seems like when performance goes up, mileage goes down. But what do I know? Thats why I'm asking.
    you are correct - its simple physics of an internal combustion engine - the more air you can get in and out of the system (i.e. an intake /exhaust) the more fuel you can and will burn - no doubt about it

also, if you have an intake without the proper exhaust to compliment it or vice verse they dont do much if any good except maybe change the sound it makes