Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question for the Sea Foamers

Question for the Sea Foamers

Got a question for those of you who have run Sea Foam through the top of the motor. I just let the VX "sip" half a bottle of Sea Foam through the PCV tube after letting the engine get up to operating temperature. I turned the VX off and let it sit for, probably twenty minutes to half an hour. When I started the VX back up I didn't get ANY smoke like they warn you about.

I think the last time I had the throttle body and EGR cleaned was over 10,000 miles ago, so I would have expected to see some smoke because I'm sure there is some carbon build up in there somewhere. Did I let the Sea Foam sit too long? Should I give it another shot, but just let it sit for the recommended five minutes?
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Got a question for those of you who have run Sea Foam through the top of the motor. I just let the VX "sip" half a bottle of Sea Foam through the PCV tube after letting the engine get up to operating temperature. I turned the VX off and let it sit for, probably twenty minutes to half an hour. When I started the VX back up I didn't get ANY smoke like they warn you about.

I think the last time I had the throttle body and EGR cleaned was over 10,000 miles ago, so I would have expected to see some smoke because I'm sure there is some carbon build up in there somewhere. Did I let the Sea Foam sit too long? Should I give it another shot, but just let it sit for the recommended five minutes?
    I haven't gotten any smoke since the first treatment a couple years ago. I just added seafoam last weekend, no smoke but I could smell the fume in the exhaust. I'm considering pulling the IAC & throttle body to check for build up... My thought is that there shouldn't be much build up if the seafoam is getting fed through the intake properly.

Maybe feeding the seafoam into the brake booster line or throttle body will cause more smoke?

I thought you were supposed to pour it until it stalls. Smoking on start-up would result from the amount that stalled it.

May be more true on carbed cars?

I've never used the stuff that way, but I have poured half a can into the crankcase several times, drove for about 20 miles and then did an oil change. Never changed a dern thing for me. I still burn oil like no tomorrow.

Bart

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    I've used Sea Foam every which way and never had anything but good results. Smoke, sometimes yes, sometimes no, but never an issue as to damage or negative results...
    Vixer Fixer

Jon, I have had the throttle body and EGR cleaned quite a few times when I have had the oil changed so maybe they did something like the Sea Foam treatment, so maybe I won't get any smoke. I did smell the fumes in the exhaust.

Bart, I also poured half a can into the oil, drove her hard for 15-20 miles and then changed the oil. I have a feeling that this really won't do anything for my oil burning either.

89Vette, everything that I read said to let the engine "sip" half a can of Sea Foam through a vaccuum tube that feeds all of the cylinders, and to NOT let it drink enough in one gulp to stall.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    I always use it through the brake vacuum line. Smokes like crazy! I use it twice a year this way, so about every 5.000 miles or so.

I also put it in the crank case and drive for 20-30 miles and change the oil.

I have used in the gas tank on other verhicles. If you do this you'll want to change your fuel filter soon afterwards.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

If you have ever seen the inside of your intake manifold it is kinda like a filter for oil vapors.. Very hard to describe but the best example is its like a detention pond once the pond fills up then it will spill over a dam into the intake tubes... you could probably put a full bottle of sea foam and it will just sit in the bottom of the main chamber and evaporate. That i know of there isnt any special vacuum line that will bypass that "dam" and go into all cylinders...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm621 View Post
    If you have ever seen the inside of your intake manifold it is kinda like a filter for oil vapors.. Very hard to describe but the best example is its like a detention pond once the pond fills up then it will spill over a dam into the intake tubes... you could probably put a full bottle of sea foam and it will just sit in the bottom of the main chamber and evaporate. That i know of there isnt any special vacuum line that will bypass that "dam" and go into all cylinders...
    Damn right! if some fluids stay inside plenum - you will see white smoke after hard cornering- fluid has to go somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitrikr View Post
    Damn right! if some fluids stay inside plenum - you will see white smoke after hard cornering- fluid has to go somewhere.
    It would have to be a pretty irratic corner! Even if seafoam spilled over the "dam" it would still have to be sucked up and over in the upper manifold and then the seafoam would finally meet up with the cylinder intake on... my only conclusion is that seafoam is pretty useless in the intake unless you can somehow fine mist the seafoam into the intake. Otherwise youre better off just putting a bottle in the fuel tank...

In my experience, OBD 2 cars rarely smoke out. I thing the plenum design is the key. My main gain is down the fuel tank by cleaning out the lines and feed.

Just did this myself.

+ Full can in gas tank
    + Half can in oil
    + Half can through vacuum connected to the brake booster
    + After it stalled, sprayed Deep Creep on the throttle plate.

SMOKED LIKE CRAZY...took a video of it, you could not see the house behind it.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    How and why do you use the Deep Creep product?

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    Just did this myself.

+ Full can in gas tank
    + Half can in oil
    + Half can through vacuum connected to the brake booster
    + After it stalled, sprayed Deep Creep on the throttle plate.

SMOKED LIKE CRAZY...took a video of it, you could not see the house behind it.
    That's exactly what I did. The entire house disappeared in the smoke!

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    I used SeaFoam Spray (not sure what the difference is with Deep Creep) to get a direct spray past the throttle valve, Stick the long straw into the throttle body past the valve put the intake hose back on, turn on car, rev to 1500-2000rpm and start spraying. turn off car and let sit. I guess this is a good way to get past the "dam" they were talking about in the earlier posts.
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    well DUH...

Apparently, his nuts were too tight...