Thread: TOD, ABS Woes. Yay

TOD, ABS Woes. Yay

So, When I bought my VX a few weeks back, I noticed it did have a few issues. I wanted one bad enough and was aware that I would be taking on some issues with a car that is over 10 years old. I should preface this post with saying that YES... I DID SEARCH and found a few things that sort of relate to some of the issues I have, but there were no solutions so I'm looking for a bit of help.

The VX has manual hubs installed by owner # 1
    The ABS light is on (has been for years judging by owner # 1's old posts
    The entire TOD display on the dash is out.

Other than a "whuring" noise (sounds like a wheel bearing but prob. not) the rig performs well.

My questions are- with manual hubs, should it be in 4wd on the hub during all normal driving? How does having manual hubs affect the TOD system if at all?

Judging by previous posts, alot of people unplug the tod setup under the passenger seat. Would this make the TOD display not light up as well? Also, what happens if it was plugged back in?

I'm trying to address the "Whuring noise" asap, then at least figure out what the deal is with the TOD not lighting up and if that's "Okay", then I can try to deal with the ABS. Obviously the goal is to fix everything and do the needed maintenence before things get out of hand. I'd like to keep it for a VERY long time. Any help would be great. Thanks!!

Yes keep those manual hubs "locked" unless you have a bad CV you don't want turning, or have a tod ON/OFF switch.

Lift up the vx and give the wheels a shake to see if its a wheel bearing.

I removed my ABS fuse 'cus I hate ABS check that first
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Mebbe let Riff drive it, to see if the whurring noise is normal...

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaVX View Post
    Yes keep those manual hubs "locked" unless you have a bad CV you don't want turning, or have a tod ON/OFF switch.
    +1 but for now I would run the hubs unlocked until you figure out if the TOD ECU is on & working. The constant turning of the axle could cause problems if the t-case isn't functional.

So, just to be clear here, does the TOD on/off mod, the one that basically just uses a switch to complete or break the circuit with the controller module, require locking hubs or any other supporting modifications?

-V
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    So, just to be clear here, does the TOD on/off mod, the one that basically just uses a switch to complete or break the circuit with the controller module, require locking hubs or any other supporting modifications?

-V
    Yes locking hubs are required, not sure what would happen if you continuously ran the TOD off with the hubs locked. I do know the wheels would be turning the drivetrain rather than the drivetrain turning the wheels.

I was able to look at a few things last night. I checked all the fuses to see if the ABS fuses were pulled or bad. They were both good. So no explanation as to why that light is on.

Removed the passenger seat to check to see if a previous owner unplugged the TOD... Not the case. So no explanation as to why the entire TOD display is not lighting up.

Also jacked up the car and removed both rear wheels, checked for any slop in the wheel for a wheel bearing or a dragging rotor and no issues there either. I'm gonna try re-greasing things to see if that helps.

So last night was a total bust. Is there a fuse or relay for the TOD? Just trying to figure out why the TOD display doesn't light up. I'm not super worried about the abs and I'm sure I can figure out the rotational noise but I have no clue on the TOD
    Thanks- Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Amish View Post
    So last night was a total bust.
    There there, that's no way to look at it. Try to see it as an exercise in intimacy with your new rig. Sounds like you got to know it in one night more than many do in several months, if ever.

Regarding the actual issue though...? Have you considered it may just be a lighting issue? The sound of the drivetrain is noticeably different with TOD engaging. Try to break it free on snow, ice, sand, or other slippery surface and see if you can feel or hear whether it's functioning. Also, try placing it into 4-Lo and see if that wakes anything up. Doing so should illuminate the full front and rear indicators.

Good luck, keep us posted.
    -V

Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    There there, that's no way to look at it. Try to see it as an exercise in intimacy with your new rig. Sounds like you got to know it in one night more than many do in several months, if ever.

Regarding the actual issue though...? Have you considered it may just be a lighting issue? The sound of the drivetrain is noticeably different with TOD engaging. Try to break it free on snow, ice, sand, or other slippery surface and see if you can feel or hear whether it's functioning. Also, try placing it into 4-Lo and see if that wakes anything up. Doing so should illuminate the full front and rear indicators.

Good luck, keep us posted.
    -V
    Tried 4Lo last night and it def works but didn't change anything with the TOD not lighting up. Hopefully I can spare some time this weekend to keep digging.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Just in case you haven't...

Download the service manual and go to section 4B2-1 (page 350) and read through the checks system there.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    Just in case you haven't...

Download the service manual and go to section 4B2-1 (page 350) and read through the checks system there.
    Where do I find this to download?

left side of page under Main Menu, downloads and then go to Manuals, then download it.