Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Window Clips!

Window Clips!

Problem:
    So... After owning my VX for a week and not having a working driver's window, I decided that I needed to figure out the issue. Tore it apart on Sunday to see exactly what was going on and figured out that the plastic window clips are a very poor design and weren't grabbing the window. The regulator still went up and down but the glass would stay stuck up sicne the plastic clips couldn't hold on. Looked liek someone had tried using epoxy and silicone at some point in hopes that it would hold.. (It didn't).

I'd really like to see what everyone else has done to fix this issue!!!!!

Solution:
    I've built all kinds of crazy cars so the fix was a very easy one and cost me nothing. I had the whole job done in about 15 minutes. = NO more issue EVER. HA!

I'll try to write out a DIY asap.

This is a very common issue that has or eventually will befall virtually every VX.

As for your 15-minute, zero-cost fix? I wish you'd have posted it a month ago before I laid out 65 smackers for my SBC brackets.

Bring on the write up though! (I haven't installed my SBCs yet!)
    -V
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-

What a tease...

I'm with V, I have a set of SBC brackets being installed tomorrow, so get your *** in gear on that write-up lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    This is a very common issue that has or eventually will befall virtually every VX.

As for your 15-minute, zero-cost fix? I wish you'd have posted it a month ago before I laid out 65 smackers for my SBC brackets.

Bring on the write up though! (I haven't installed my SBCs yet!)
    -V
    Will do. Hopefully I wont step on anyone's toes by offering a free solution to the fix.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    What a tease...

I'm with V, I have a set of SBC brackets being installed tomorrow, so get your *** in gear on that write-up lol.
    Just as an FYI, If you are having brackets installed for you, my solution may not work for you. This is a hands on project. Just saying.

Anyone have pics of the "SBC Brackets"?

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amish View Post
    Anyone have pics of the "SBC Brackets"?
    http://www.streetboutiquecustoms.com/vx.html
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Will do. Hopefully I wont step on anyone's toes by offering a free solution to the fix.
    I'm confident that the R&D and operations costs for the production of the SBCs has already been covered by customers to date. So the risk of stepping on toes is more of a bruise than a break. Besides, there will always be the "why do it for free when I can spend $65 on it" crowd - of which I've been an on-again, off-again member through the years.

I say go for it. In the end, if your fix is legit and long-term, you'll be helping a LOT more people that you'll "hurt." But it is VERY thoughtful of you to even recognize the potential downside for someone else.

-V

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post

Oh no! Hahahaha. That's what someone put in as a "fix" on my passenger side. That's coming out next weekend and going in the trash. I just thought it was some "homebrew" bracket. While I will say that it did/does hold the window, I like the idea of keeping it simple, not adding weight to an overworked motor, and the ability to remove the bracket like stock. Hopefully I don't make an enemy with this post. It's just an opinion.

Waitwhat?

Someone SBC'd the passenger side but not the driver side? Or did you just not open the driver side yet? 'Cause the brackets come in pairs. Don't toss them. Sell them to someone who doesn't trust your free fix.

-V

Just as an FYI, If you are having brackets installed for you, my solution may not work for you. This is a hands on project. Just saying.
    Fortunately my mechanic has hands too. $65 isn't too big a deal for a back-up option to keep on the shelf if your fix is worth trying.

I used "New Beetle" window clips. There are a few versions but VW used them on MK4 GTI/Golf/Jetta and Beetles. I chose the old steel versions. I had a bag of them. Here's a pic of what you start with.

These are a clam shell style clip with a rubber insert that hooks on both parts to protect the window. This clip tightens as you bolt it together.

The reason these can be had free is the plastic part is what hooks these to the VW cable for the regulator. The plastic breaks, the dealer puts in new clips. I just cut off the whole plastic part. (See original pic installed.) I did a bit of trimming (does'nt have to be perfect but it's pretty hard to mess up). I removed the plastic clip and screw.. threw them in the trash. I then fit the clip to the VX (with the VX crossbar inside the 2pc clip. Then bolt the clip back together (which tightens the rubber insert onto the glass.

Like I said, Done in less than 15 minutes. Start to finish. The SBC bracket on my passenger side will take twice as long to remove as it doesn't actually grab the window at all. Instead, it's channel is lined with epoxy which I will have to clean off the glass (I decided to put this off for another day)

Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    Waitwhat?

Someone SBC'd the passenger side but not the driver side? Or did you just not open the driver side yet? 'Cause the brackets come in pairs. Don't toss them. Sell them to someone who doesn't trust your free fix.

-V
    V- yes, they did the pass side only and it's a mess.It's def. a SBC bracket though. I already did my fix to the drivers side and it worked great.

This fix may not be for everyone. Just thought I'd throw it out there for you guys. I use to be big into the VW scene so I have access to a ton of parts. Most techs keep the old clips in a drawer in their box. Also, they are an easy find at a junk yard (at least here). I could always offer to source mod them for people for cheap if this is something anyone is interested. Not looking to make a bunch of money, as it literally takes maybe a minute to mod the clip.

So it's free, plus the cost of a VW Beetle still under warranty?

But you might be on to something if you could source the clips for members here.

-V