Thread: Reattach Cladding bracket

Reattach Cladding bracket

When you remove the cladding, there are these "brackets" (for the lack of a better word) that are somehow attached to the cladding. These brackets hold a white plastic fastener that will pop in/out of the frame of the vx.

I followed instructions very carefully and took my time removing the cladding (to have it sprayed with Linex). These things are a bi**h and a half. The plastic screws w/grommets underneath are a joke. I had to drill them out. Are there better ones made by someone else as opposed to what I will get from Merlin?

When I was removing the cladding, you want to pull from the bottom and POP out the fasteners from the frame and then pull slowly at the top where the tape is.

As I was removing the cladding, at least ONE FREAKING "BRACKET" came off of each piece of cladding that I've removed (4 pieces so far). They didn't break off, they just came off as if they were glued or something.

What type of "glue" or adhesive "stuff" should I use to reapply the ones that came off? I will also use this stuff to reinforce the others.

What kind of double-sided adhesive tape should I use when reapplying the cladding, or is it even necessary?
    ---------

Ty

I thought I uploaded pics, but am having troubles....

I broke one of the plastic 'brackets' on the rear cladding when I removed it for my hitch install. It was one of the ones with a screw rather than a 'christmas tree fastener'. I used PC-7 epoxy to reattach. It held for several years before coming loose again (only because I've removed my cladding about 6 times in the past 6 months working on the redesigned hitch). True Value hardware carries it & supposedly Home Depot does too but I've never seen it there. JB Weld would probably work too.

I've heard that the tape is only there for the original installation of the cladding & serves no purpose after that. Don't know for sure though.

Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    I used PC-7 epoxy to reattach. It held for several years before coming loose again (only because I've removed my cladding about 6 times in the past 6 months working on the redesigned hitch). True Value hardware carries it & supposedly Home Depot does too but I've never seen it there.

Tom
    Broke one too when I put my Tone hitch on the VX. Tom gave me the same advice and worked great...
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    Broke one too when I put my Tone hitch on the VX. Tom gave me the same advice and worked great...
    Ty, good to see you back on the board.

I would scrub the two surfaces to give it some tooth to attach to. Think there are a few pro body men here, maybe they will pipe in with a good how-to.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

BTW,

Went back and looked. My 'repaired' mounting boss is still attached. It was the other one on the same side that broke off.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    Ty, good to see you back on the board.
    Thanks, it's good to be back

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    BTW,

Went back and looked. My 'repaired' mounting boss is still attached. It was the other one on the same side that broke off.

Tom
    Well, this is exactly what I'm going to do as well.

Thank you VERY much

I'm finally getting around to doing this project. I need to get some of these brackets back on soon as I'm about to LineX all the cladding and reinstall...

Gonna go pick up some PC-7 epoxy...