Thread: Question about Motor/Transmission/Transfer Case

Question about Motor/Transmission/Transfer Case

Just wanted to get some advice please:

A local vx owner found a vx at an auction just down the street and he knew the owner (his mailman) and bought it. The previous owner (mailman) said he had spent about $6k to rebuild the motor and transfer case so this local guy bought it. He said it started up fine, went through all the gears with no problems, but couldn't actually move it because of the damage to the tire wells. He's a lot more mechanically inclined than myself and told me of several things he looked for to make sure everything was good but I don't remember what those things were. So he parted it out and is still sitting on the rebuilt motor, transmission and rebuilt transfer case, everything else is parted and sold. I asked him if he has the paperwork on the rebuilt motor & transfer case but he said the auction didn't provide it and the owner is no longer the mailman so he hasn't seen him but that if he sees him he will ask.

I've talked to him before some time ago and seems pretty down to earth. He seems pretty cool. I'm not really that mechanically inclined but he also told me something about how he added something (maybe some kind of oil) while it's in storage.

My questions are:

1. What are these worth? Aside from installing everything, is there any kind of way to tell if these parts are in good shape?

2. If I do buy them, what is the best way to store them? I don't really need the parts, but for 2k I think it's worth it to have for when I do the parts. I'm currently using the original transmission and transfer case and have a rebuilt motor with 10k miles. My vx has under 100k miles.

What would you do?

I really appreciate any advice...
    ---------

Ty

I would save my $2k until something actually goes wrong with my current motor. Something other than the motor/tranny/transfer case will go bad before those go bad probably.

You don't know enough about the "rebuild" to invest money in it. This is a BIGGY!

As you already know, you can rebuild your existing engine w/o needing a new one (unless catastrophic failure occurs).

So, I'd say pass. Also, if switching to a whole, new motor, I'd be inclinded to look at the V8 conversions being discussed in the modifications forum. If gas were an issue, the newer, direct injection technology would provide you with something more economical.

Or, there's the 5-spd option....

Lots to think about!