Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: $10 Steering Wheel Replacement

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU

$10 Steering Wheel Replacement

Did you know we have the same steering wheel as an Isuzu Rodeo?

My steering wheel has been worn, faded & cracked since the day I bought the VX. A few weeks ago, Mdwyer and I were at the local junkyard getting him a window regulator and I stumbled upon a good condition black Rodeo steering wheel. It cost me $10 and was a direct fit. The Rodeo's steering wheel is really a "downgrade" from the VX's steering wheel because it's not cushy or two tone. In my case, it was a nice improvement and I personally prefer the firmer grip.

Just thought I would provide the info for anyone with the same situation. Also good for someone trying to DE-Orange their interior.

The steering wheel is the same black as the airbag (or close to it) but the light reflecting in the photo makes it look lighter.
    Last edited by VXorado : 02/20/2012 at 07:59 PM

really??? The Isuzu dealer told me that I have a malfunctioning sensor in my wheel. I had to take the horn fuse out. When it's in, the horn honks continuous. They said I basically need to deflate the bag, fix the sensor and get a new bag. Maybe I can just get a Rodeo steering wheel and fix that whole situation??? You think?
    ---------

Ty

Our Axiom steering wheel is EXACTLY the same (at least from a looks perspective) as the VX. Two-tone black grey and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Our Axiom steering wheel is EXACTLY the same (at least from a looks perspective) as the VX. Two-tone black grey and everything.
    Nice that would work too. The Rodeo all black steering wheel is better for those with red/blk interiors and since Rodeos are a dime a dozen in junkyards, they can be aquired very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by tysamigo View Post
    really??? The Isuzu dealer told me that I have a malfunctioning sensor in my wheel. I had to take the horn fuse out. When it's in, the horn honks continuous. They said I basically need to deflate the bag, fix the sensor and get a new bag. Maybe I can just get a Rodeo steering wheel and fix that whole situation??? You think?
    Seems like you just need a new airbag unit. I left the Rodeo airbag (actually threw it at Mdwyer) because it cost $30 and is indentical to the VXs. That would still be a pretty cheap fix to get the horn working again.

Ty, beware that the horn fuse provides power to the obd2 port. If you have emissions or diagnostic testing done keep that in mind

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    Ty, beware that the horn fuse provides power to the obd2 port. If you have emissions or diagnostic testing done keep that in mind
    Yeh...you might be better off yank'n the wires to the horn(s).

A horn that won't stop honking doesn't sound like any symptom of a wheel sensor that I ever heard of, but...

Sounds more like a busted clock spring, or failed pressure switch(in the steering wheel) or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Sounds more like a busted clock spring, or failed pressure switch(in the steering wheel) or something.
    Yeah, that's what the guy at the dealer said. A pressure switch. What would be best, to get an Axiom or Trooper steering wheel as opposed to deflating bag, repairing it, etc.?

What is a obd2 port? What does that do?

I was hit head on (driver side) by a lady coming around a corner 2 years ago. It was repaired but they we ended up salvage because of the cost of parts. I made it legal again but I never fixed the horn problem. I hit the steering wheel hard in the accident and the freakin airbags NEVER came out and they should have.

since the accident, if you put the horn fuse in, the horn stays on solid. The isuzu guys said it was (i think he said) pressure sensor in the steering wheel and that it would be expensive to fix due to deflating the bag, getting a new bag, parts and labor so I just took the fuse out and still riding around like this. I would LOVE to fix it, and thought that a quick fix would be to get a new steering wheel, but i really don't know. thoughts??

What is a obd2 port? What does that do?
    OBD2 port is where you attach the computer under the dash to read Check Engine Light (CEL) codes if there is a problem (also where you would connect the scan guage to if you wanted one).

chances are that a replacement wheel would fix your problem but no guarantees. If you can source one as cheap as vxorado did, it'd be inexpensive enough that it's worth a shot (helluva lot cheaper than re-working your airbag).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    OBD2 port is where you attach the computer under the dash to read Check Engine Light (CEL) codes if there is a problem (also where you would connect the scan guage to if you wanted one).

chances are that a replacement wheel would fix your problem but no guarantees. If you can source one as cheap as vxorado did, it'd be inexpensive enough that it's worth a shot (helluva lot cheaper than re-working your airbag).
    What he said...^

In addition, OBD = on board diagnostics

The port is loca'd underneath the bottom of the dash, down there close to where the hood release is.

Search "steering wheel" for further clarification on how to remove/replace the steering wheel without the air bag deploying...

a little confused....

I went under the hood passenger side and removed a large square (relay?/fuse?) which stopped the horn from honking. That was the only thing I removed. So maybe I didn't remove the horn fuse?

In either case, my ABS light came on about a year ago. I took it to the shop and VX code said something about the ABS. They recommended I replace the ABS module so I did with a used one. 4 months later (after the 3 month warranty), my ABS light came back on and produces the same error code according to the shop. It's still on and I haven't replaced it again, being confused about what is actually the problem. Did I get another faulty module or is it something else. So maybe I didn't remove the "horn fuse" because I AM getting codes with an error...

I'm certainly not an expert at any of this stuff, which is why I joined this WONDERFUL SAVY group

So basically I need a new steering wheel (to fix the horn problem) and an ABS module. I've been searching and it seems the ABS module is always one of the first things that are sold from a parted VX :/

I don't think that ABS issues are read through the OBD. I think they are read the same way that TOD codes are read.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...light=ABS+code

When my ABS light came on, I fixed it the old fashioned way ... removed the bulb.

I was hit head on (driver side) by a lady coming around a corner 2 years ago. It was repaired but they we ended up salvage because of the cost of parts. I made it legal again but I never fixed the horn problem. I hit the steering wheel hard in the accident and the freakin airbags NEVER came out and they should have.

since the accident, if you put the horn fuse in, the horn stays on solid. The isuzu guys said it was (i think he said) pressure sensor in the steering wheel and that it would be expensive to fix due to deflating the bag, getting a new bag, parts and labor so I just took the fuse out and still riding around like this. I would LOVE to fix it, and thought that a quick fix would be to get a new steering wheel, but i really don't know. thoughts??
    Why would you need to deflate the bag? Surely it's deflated anyway?