Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Might be selling my VX.

Might be selling my VX.

I know..........I haven't been around much. Well, I've been looking. A Jeep Commander Overland has caught my eye. I know it's not the same sharp styling of the VX, but there's something about it I like.

My VX has been a great, exhilarating experience. I took it to the promise land 6 times (Moab ZuZu). It's been awesome. My vehicle has the following:

Nitto Terra Grappler All Terrain 285/60VR-18, White Front Skid Plate by Vehicrossconcepts.com, Flow Master Muffler, Dual Chome Tip SS Exhaust, Swordy's Designed Custom Rock Sliders, Jay's Designed Custum Belly Skid Plate, Two RearTrooper Skid Plates, Line-Xed Bra, Line-Xed Front Cladding, 4200 Series Pilot Driving Lights, Malibu 18 Watt Bulb in Fog Lights, Custum VX Side Marker with White Backing made by Klearz Lens, Custum VX Clear Turn Signal made by Klearz Lens, Custom Titanium VX Front Logo, Flashing Brake Light by Tone, Flashing Indicator Side Lights, Window Fairings made by WeatherTech, OME 912 Springs, K& N Air Filter, Dynamated the Spare, Tone's Storage Box, Tinted Windows, One Inch Wheel Adapters, and Debadged the Ironman Logo.

127K miles
    clean interior
    2 inch scratch on the hood,
    no other damage to the body
    runs exceptionally well

I've had it 9 years, and it had 17,000 miles on it when I bought her.

This is what she needs:
    New tires - $1136 for Nitto Terra Grappler All Terrain 285/60VR-18
    Front half shaft - $450
    Both windows bind - I bought the fix - I haven't installed yet
    Drivers tail light will not come on - I put a new fuse in - it last about 2 minutes before blowing - I'm guessing $60
    ABS light on

I checked out two places to see what I might get as a trade in.
    CarMax - $1700
    Dealership - $3000

Wow! Really! My Front skid Plate, custom rock sliders, and my custom belly skid plate is over $1000 alone!

Is this what I can expect?

Peace.
    Tom
    Last edited by tomdietrying : 02/17/2012 at 02:04 PM
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

Don't make me drive all the way to your place to slap some sense into you. A heep commander of all things...NO!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Well I will take the VXC front skid plate if you're willing to sell it separately...

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Well you should be able to get at least $5k for a great condition, bone stock VX with 127K. IMO, I would part out the goodies if you can't get at least $6K+ selling it privately and if you're not in a rush, price it at $7k and go from there. Also, you might consider buying an EMPI halfshaft for $70 and replacing it yourself. That should boost the selling value.

I looked at Commanders a couple years ago when I was replacing my car. I liked the price, size & V8 the Commander had but I heard that they have a ton of issues. I researched a bit on the Jeep forums.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Unhappy Say it ain't so Tom...

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Don't make me drive all the way to your place to slap some sense into you. A heep commander of all things...NO!
    Billy...I'll take care of it.He is just across town.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

The way I look at it,if you're not going to get much for it...keep it...buy what ever for a DD Not even being biased...It is the most unique vehicle out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harness View Post
    The way I look at it,if you're not going to get much for it...keep it...buy what ever for a DD Not even being biased...It is the most unique vehicle out there!
    I agree with Scott here. If you're not gonna get anything for it in the trade, then just keep it and buy the Jeep outright. If they are only gonna give you $3000 thats only about $50 a month on a payment. Hell, i'll take a VX for that.
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3

Billy...I'll take care of it.He is just across town.
    x2 on that one.
    "It's not sexual harassment, I am just building up your tolerence"-Dumke

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by H3_VX View Post
    I agree with Scott here. If you're not gonna get anything for it in the trade, then just keep it and buy the Jeep outright. If they are only gonna give you $3000 thats only about $50 a month on a payment. Hell, i'll take a VX for that.
    Definitely avoid trading in at dealerships. Its convenient but always a rip off.

Tom, I feel ya....

I have been debating the same thing for a little over a year now. My VX just sits in my garage and only gets about 2500-3k miles a year. That's good and all, but it's also a waste.

I had that scare recently with a possible major engine issue, and for the most part, it is resolved (EGR line had snapped and was rattling everywhere.... but didn't throw a CEL). I still think there may be some valve lashing that I can correct, but that's pretty minor right now. ABS is crud, but big surprise there.

Other than those couple of things, it is a nearly flawless, low mileage, S/C'd VX. I would ONLY ever sell to someone here who was looking or a replacement or second (or third... or fourth....). Basically, someone who knows it's unique value. And hopefully, not one of you clowns who butchers them for trail use.

We shall see though.... we shall see....
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Dibs on WormGod's VX! LOL

Tom, having a VX makes life better. This is a clinically proven fact. True story. So once you have one, NOT having one will make life not better, or "worse," as some like to call it.

So unless the amount for which you sell it will make your life better to a degree equal to or greater than the amount of not betterness - or "worseness" - achieved by not having the VX, and thereby leaving you net-neutral or positive, I recommend you consider all options to retain VX ownership.

And it would suck to see you go.

-V
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-

I cant beleive

how little carmax is offering. It makes the dealership look positively generous and we know how crooked they are.
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post

So unless the amount for which you sell it will make your life better to a degree equal to or greater than the amount of not betterness - or "worseness" - achieved by not having the VX, and thereby leaving you net-neutral or positive, I recommend you consider all options to retain VX ownership.

-V
    ....is zap sumpin' like dis???

E=mc2
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

The bottom line here is, Isuzus, and most Japanese cars and light trucks are not yet at the collectible point, unless you go back to the 70s. We will continue to see the "value" of our VXes go down as years press on, but at some point, sometime in the future, they will be worth money.

Bart

PS - Tom, hate to see you go!!