Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Airflow Snorkel Installed

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnalVX View Post
    That is Bart's VX. Kewlness!
    Yep...that dang ol' Bart has become a well known instigator of Isuzu kewlness...

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by braaus View Post
    VXorado, have you seen this page?
    http://www.nofuture.com/myvx/mods/mods.htm
    looks like the type of you you like to do. I went to buy 2 jerry cans todays and 2 lockable carriers like this one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/260849003226...84.m1423.l2649
    but i'm buying a more "square" shaped can so it doesn't stick out too much on top of the roof rack.
    Nice, take some pics once you get the jerry cans installed on the roof rack.

Can you post some more pics of the install points around the door frame, I am more than likely going to pull the trigger on this mod asap, but I want to have a little more of an idea of how that area works.

Also please let me know what you figure out as far as under the hood, I have some ideas but I want to know what you come up with :-)

Alright I went ahead and ordered half of the "kit":

http://autoplicity.com/products/2043...temsilver.aspx

$100 for an enclosed cold air intake seems like a good deal :-) now I just need to order the snorkel itself

Thumbs up

I scored a red K&N Apollo universal cold air closed intake system from Ebay for $90! I have never done anything to improve airflow except remove the plastic elbow from the stock air box. We shall see if the butt dyno notices any improvement. The snorkel may or may not happen, but I too am "half" way there...
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

I scored a red K&N Apollo universal cold air closed intake system from Ebay for $90! I have never done anything to improve airflow except remove the plastic elbow from the stock air box. We shall see if the butt dyno notices any improvement. The snorkel may or may not happen, but I too am "half" way there...
    Nice $CORE!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    Can you post some more pics of the install points around the door frame, I am more than likely going to pull the trigger on this mod asap, but I want to have a little more of an idea of how that area works.

Also please let me know what you figure out as far as under the hood, I have some ideas but I want to know what you come up with :-)
    I took a pic with my phone & it was really hard to show the bracket so I'll explain. There is a fixed nut in the bottom of the snorkel for a frame bracket. The kit comes with a bracket (see S29 pic) which fixes the snorkel to the door frame. The bracket was a little big, so I cut the bottom section off, leaving only the long sliding bolt hole. Then I drilled a hole underneath the door weather strip, bent the metal and bolted the bracket to the VX and snorkel. When I finish the snorkel-intake install, I will bend the bracket a bit more so it doesn't push up the weatherstrip when the door is closed.

I ordered an Apollo intake last week for $85 ()... well $102 after shipping. Once I receive it, I'll finish the install and post more pics of the hose, intake, fender bolt mounts & bracket.

What VX? Rodeo Crew Cab, Jackaroo chassis, Supercharged 3.5, Navara tub (!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    The tube is 3" and supposedly stays 3" all the way through the snorkel. Airflow claims you'll get better performance with a snorkel because its a true cold air intake... we'll see.
    They all say that but you wont
    The Isuzu stuff sold here is all intended for the diesels. I have an Airtec on my Rodeo ute, which looks a lot like this except the under guard pipe is hard plastic too.
    You DO get the cleaner cooler air, but they dont flow enough for the V6. Just unclipping the airbox top off the lower on our dyno leaving the filter in place gained 7hp over breathing via the snorkel, and 12hp on the supercharged 3.5.
    So I run two airbox entries for the street and close one and use only the snorkel for the dirt. I'm usually in low range anyway so it doesnt matter
    The answer is more power! What was the question?

Quote Originally Posted by Robbomaz View Post
    They all say that but you wont
    The Isuzu stuff sold here is all intended for the diesels. I have an Airtec on my Rodeo ute, which looks a lot like this except the under guard pipe is hard plastic too.
    You DO get the cleaner cooler air, but they dont flow enough for the V6. Just unclipping the airbox top off the lower on our dyno leaving the filter in place gained 7hp over breathing via the snorkel, and 12hp on the supercharged 3.5.
    So I run two airbox entries for the street and close one and use only the snorkel for the dirt. I'm usually in low range anyway so it doesnt matter
    Thats good info. I can't comment on how this one affects performance since I haven't completed the install but i'm eager to find out.

Another possible option to increase airflow:

From the Airflow website:
    "All our current Cold Air Induction Snorkel kits are supplied with this Air Ram, which provides 3.8 times free air to the engine. However, some customers prefer a lesser performance to the benefit of a more pleasing look… So, by popular demand, we have re-released the square Air Ram. Despite its lesser free air performance (only 1.85 times), this Air Ram may be more pleasing to the eye when associated with a “squarish” vehicle. So the choice is yours, looks or performance, Airflow Vector has it all!"

Since the VX isn't square, the new style air ram could be purchased to increase air flow & change the look. I'm thinking about for it myself...

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    My Apollo is back ordered for 1-2 weeks... yay

Thumbs up K & N Apollo on ebay...

Looks like the seller that I got my Apollo kit from has at least 2 more for sale (in black or blue)... same price I paid plus free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Thats good info. I can't comment on how this one affects performance since I haven't completed the install but i'm eager to find out.

Another possible option to increase airflow:

From the Airflow website:
    "All our current Cold Air Induction Snorkel kits are supplied with this Air Ram, which provides 3.8 times free air to the engine. However, some customers prefer a lesser performance to the benefit of a more pleasing look… So, by popular demand, we have re-released the square Air Ram. Despite its lesser free air performance (only 1.85 times), this Air Ram may be more pleasing to the eye when associated with a “squarish†vehicle. So the choice is yours, looks or performance, Airflow Vector has it all!"

Since the VX isn't square, the new style air ram could be purchased to increase air flow & change the look. I'm thinking about for it myself...
    Yeah I have seen that too.They talk so much $%#t on the snorkel sites its hilarious They really should stay away from pseudo-science....3.8 times what....? And it still fits to the same tube so how does flow increase exactly?
    Sorry for the rant, pet hate of mine!

Every one we have had come thru has dropped hp on the dyno when using the snorkel too but performance is not their purpose. What it WILL do is put the intake up in cleaner air, above water ingress, and (in the case of some Airflows, some Airtecs and almost NO Safaris)look cool too

If I could get my Airtec in a RH version I'd have one on each side - that'd solve the flow issue as well

Dunno if youve seen them but you can get 'socks' that go over the scoop and others that go down inside the snorkel tube as a pre-filter too.
    http://www.uniflow.com.au/
    Most folks I know here just have the sock - easy to pop on & off for washing etc

Agree the big round tip would suit the Vx better too

Looks like the seller that I got my Apollo kit from has at least 2 more for sale (in black or blue)... same price I paid plus free shipping.
    Yeah yeah... show off .

We'll see who's laughing in 2-3 weeks when I get my intake... that I ordered a week before you....

Quote Originally Posted by Robbomaz View Post
    Yeah I have seen that too.They talk so much $%#t on the snorkel sites its hilarious They really should stay away from pseudo-science....3.8 times what....? And it still fits to the same tube so how does flow increase exactly?
    Sorry for the rant, pet hate of mine!

Every one we have had come thru has dropped hp on the dyno when using the snorkel too but performance is not their purpose. What it WILL do is put the intake up in cleaner air, above water ingress, and (in the case of some Airflows, some Airtecs and almost NO Safaris)look cool too

If I could get my Airtec in a RH version I'd have one on each side - that'd solve the flow issue as well

Dunno if youve seen them but you can get 'socks' that go over the scoop and others that go down inside the snorkel tube as a pre-filter too.
    http://www.uniflow.com.au/
    Most folks I know here just have the sock - easy to pop on & off for washing etc

Agree the big round tip would suit the Vx better too
    The round air ram produces 3.8 more unicorns than the square one. It's science... don't question it.

I got the snorkel for off road use & looks. From what you've said about performance, I'll just add another inlet to the air intake for street use.

...and I need to get one of those socks. they're nifty .

I was watching a 2 year old second-hand Apollo on FleaBay here - ended up closing at $32 more than the new one from the US including shipping that came up in the same search!
    I just don't get people sometimes....usually it's Americans I dont get, but this time its Aussies