Thread: VT_Maverick Build Thread

VT_Maverick Build Thread

I realized the other day that I'm spending a ton of time searching through the archive for my old threads as I try to reconstruct all the original mods from my previous VX (the one that was destroyed by the drunk driver). So I thought for my personal convenience, as well as for anyone who's interested in flipping through a lot of pictures and threads, I would link all of my mod threads together in one place for reference. I'm going to try and do it in chronological order, but we'll see how it goes.

Recommended Cargo Liners

Carrying Pets in the VX

Hexomat Rear Seat All-Weather Mat

Installing Mirror Covers

Long Awaited Detail & Mod Install

Taking the pet barrier to the next level... literally

Not exactly a "mod" but something useful I always carry in the VX with me, especially on long trips.
    Recommendations for a Batter Booster / Jump Starter?

This thread is broken but I'm hoping Scott can restore it:
    Thule 696 Installation

Out of sequence but I had an issue with the mounts coming loose on the Thule 696 that I detailed here:
    Thule 696 Safety Check

Borbet CW3's made famous by VX-O2 concept vehicle:
    At Long Last... New Tires and Rims

A New Weapon in the Ongoing War for Cargo Space

Rig of the Month Thread that summarizes mods with pictures
    July 2010 Rig of the Month
    One of my favorite pictures of all time from this thread:

Was going to link the Kilby skid plate thread here (the one Riff Raff started) but I can't find it. Maybe it was deleted?

Cargo Mods Episode IV: A New Hope

I never ended up getting an on board air system, but there's some interesting info here that I may consider going forward:
    On Board Air System

This started as a LED troubleshooting thread but evolved to encompass a discussion of which companies sell the best LED products:
    Trouble with LED Fog Lamps

Thread showing lots of pics of VXC/rowhard front and rear faux skid plates:
    Beach Photos Featuring Front and Rear Skid Plates

Thread discussing the pros/cons of various HID options, including the one I chose (DDM Tuning):
    Need Help Sourcing HID Kit

I had some problems with LED turn flashers that are detailed here:
    Suggestions for LED Turn Signal Rapid Flash?

And this is the thread detailing the crash with the drunk driver that totaled my first VX. I'm testifying for the state at his trial next month, hopefully he goes away for a long time.
    Is This the End?

The search begins for a new VX. I ended up buying the one out of Colorado because the one in Illinois had rust issues.
    Need Help Checking Out a VX in Evergreen, CO

Anyone near Plainfield, IL want to help me inspect a VX?

Thread about acquiring my new VX:
    The Next Episode / A New Beginning

Auto to Manual Transmission Swap:
    VT_Maverick's 5 Speed Swap

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Some nice modifications you did over the years, especially that last one .

I'm excited to see the next chapter unfold: Maverick 2.0

Thanks man, I really should have titled this the "Rebuild Thread" since now I'm spending time putting everything back together again. Before Buffy took my old VX I swapped the front seats and seat extenders and put those in on Sunday. On Monday morning I reinstalled my LED dome light and Trooper rear seat cupholder. And when I got back from my business trip last night I reinstalled the LED brake lights and reverse lights. I'm waiting on new front floor mats, HIDs, front LEDs, and a spiffy Vehicross.info license plate frame to arrive next week so I can get those things knocked out. And this weekend I'll probably do my first wash as well as reinstall the cargo boxes.

So much to do, but it's fun - kind of like reliving all your mods over again.

Dude, it's like ... deja vu ... over & over again!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

FYI -

I bought one of these jump packs in March 2011 and can no longer recommend it. Whenever I charge it, there is a relay in the circuit that starts clicking loudly once it receives a full charge. When I contacted the manufacturer they said it was faulty, but I had to pay to send it back for replacement. I never did.

I've used it a few times since I bought it, but found it VERY hard to use when you can't set it right on top of the battery (which I could not in either case - motorcycle and lawn tractor) because the cables are very short.

Last weekend my daughter killed the battery in her Saturn Aura, and I thought this was the perfect opportunity to show what this thing can do. It did NOTHING!! The dash lights lit up and the door chime dinged, but the starter didn't even click. It was registering a full charge, even though it hadn't been plugged in (due to the relay click) for a couple weeks. We were able to start her car using old-fashioned jumper cables to another car. FAIL!!
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

Sorry to hear that Gregg, I've used mine I don't know how many times to air up my tires or jump start vehicles. I actually had to use it when we were in Wisconsin a few weeks ago when I accidentally left a door cracked overnight. Sorry to hear that you've had such a bad experience, it's definitely not encouraging to hear that about Cobra's customer service!

Gregg-- It's unfortunate you didn't ship your Cobra recharger pack to the manufacturer (Cobra) for repair/replacement eventhough Cobra required return shipping on the first shipment leg of the overall journey. I presume once repaired/replaced that Cobra would then pay the return shipping back to your home address. Thus, both you and Cobra would essentially share 50/50 of the full circle of shipping (that seems perfectly fair in my book).

I don't own a stand-alone recharger unit of any kind or brand, but I've always been intriged by their capabilities and they do have a place in the automotive marketplace. Cobra has been in business for many decades and their infamous CB radios have always been state-of-the-art. I imagine their high quality of workmanship would carry over to other products that they additionally manufacture, including their self-contained rechargable battery packs.

As a self-contained rechargable unit, I wonder if the built-in rechargable battery is simular in nature as smaller flashlight type Ni-Cad rechargable batteries in that they should be completely drained down to "zero" before recharging. Otherwise, premature recharging can lower the charge threshold and eventually make the built-in rechargable battery useless to produce adequate electrical current. Perhaps this could be a possibility in your case and is a potential reason why you experienced poor results.

VT has indicated great results with his Cobra unit, and seems to be on par with the excellent reputation of Cobra as a manufacturer. If I ever decide to purchase a rechargable battery pack unit, I believe I'll lean towards a Cobra brand unit just as VT has done.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Cobra has been in business for many decades and their infamous CB radios have always been state-of-the-art. I imagine their high quality of workmanship would carry over to other products that they additionally manufacture, including their self-contained rechargable battery packs.
    I think this is the key... does Cobra actually design and manufacture these boosters, or do they simply rebrand another manufacturer's product? When I was looking for my booster I researched an AC Delco model and found that it was sold under at least two other names as well. Cobra does have a positive reputation for its core product line of radios, so it makes sense that they might try to diversify their product line by putting their logo on other manufacturer's products (Honda Passport anyone?) until they could start producing something on their own.