Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: VehiCROSS V8 Conversion Kit

pm Moncha and say pretty please
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by sleveritt View Post
    (Anybody know how to move it to the "Major Build Thread" section?)
    You would be the sole owner of the built thread . It's a good idea since you're continuing progress.

If a 5.3 from an H3/Colorado will fit but may be too much power for the stock tranny, what about the 3.7 from an H3/Colorado. the 3.7 makes 242hp and 242 ft lbs of torque.
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3

Quote Originally Posted by H3_VX View Post
    If a 5.3 from an H3/Colorado will fit but may be too much power for the stock tranny, what about the 3.7 from an H3/Colorado. the 3.7 makes 242hp and 242 ft lbs of torque.
    Too much work for little reward. Additionally, I can just add some stickers and a wing to the VX to get 20-30 more HP.

Now swapping the H3 295 HP/317 Torque 5.3L & transmission & 4:1 transfer case. Now that's a lot of work for a great reward .

That H3 swap would be best to find a salvaged one and just transplant the VX body on top of everything else! (I had the same thought with a Chevy Duramax single cab short bed with the Duramax Diesel and Allison transmission!) Lots less work that way, though the frame rails may be right at the door sill.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    I can just add some stickers and a wing to the VX to get 20-30 more HP.
    Ain't it the truth...

My tire trailer had ZERO, count em...0 HP...

After installation of the ultimate "ricer wing" & some stickers, my trailer is now up to nearly 34 HP...Thank You Billy May...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Ain't it the truth...

My tire trailer had ZERO, count em...0 HP...

After installation of the ultimate "ricer wing" & some stickers, my trailer is now up to nearly 34 HP...Thank You Billy May...
    That's what i'm talking about, that trailer should be able to push Suzy down the road.

What's the trailer for? Do you drive pavement on smaller tires?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    That's what i'm talking about, that trailer should be able to push Suzy down the road.

What's the trailer for? Do you drive pavement on smaller tires?
    Well...sort of...
    I trailer my "big boy tires" to Moab, cutting out almost 3k mi per year off the tread wear schedule of some tires that they ain't exactly givin' away...

Sorry 4 the T-J...

Too much work for little reward. Additionally, I can just add some stickers and a wing to the VX to get 20-30 more HP.

Now swapping the H3 295 HP/317 Torque 5.3L & transmission & 4:1 transfer case. Now that's a lot of work for a great reward .
    I only recommended the 3.7 as an instant reliability improvement over any Isuzu engine. Plus a much cheaper option. I myself have no need for a 300hp engine (although it would be nice).

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Well...sort of...
    I trailer my "big boy tires" to Moab, cutting out almost 3k mi per year off the tread wear schedule of some tires that they ain't exactly givin' away...

Sorry 4 the T-J...
    Makes sense. Although it looks like you need a lift & some bigger tires on that trailer

+1 to the T-J

Quote Originally Posted by H3_VX View Post
    I only recommended the 3.7 as an instant reliability improvement over any Isuzu engine. Plus a much cheaper option. I myself have no need for a 300hp engine (although it would be nice).
    True but other than some oil consumption, my 3.5L has been reliable (the engine will now blow up tomorrow)

Knock on wood.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    True but other than some oil consumption, my 3.5L has been reliable (the engine will now blow up tomorrow)

Knock on wood.
    careful what you say amigo, there generally is no warning.
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    careful what you say amigo, there generally is no warning.
    Jack, it's a VX
    not an Amigo

So any update from the OP (WRBSTI)?

Quote Originally Posted by WRBSTI View Post
    This is the exact feedback I was hoping for so thanks to everyone who has contributed so far.
    NFPGASMASK- One of the unknowns of the swap is the longevity of the stock 4L30E transmission. Because I am wanting to keep awd and TOD I am going to see how it does with a brand new 4L30E. This way if it blows in 2,000 miles I will tell everyone that the transmission wont hold the power at all. Also if you are hammering it around every turn and from stoplight to stoplight the V8 will destroy the transmission far faster than the stock V6.

DutchKiwi- I had not looked into the PCM that you had mentioned but will be doing do once I click post. The 4.6 came with the GM PCM and we will be wiring that into the stock Isuzu PCM so we can get TOD and the power reduction during shift to work with the NorthStar.

my next hurdle will be finding out of the oil pan clears and of if not finding an oil pan that will.
    Since a GM 4L60E is the automatic for C4 Corvettes, I googled "4L60E vx 4L30E". That's because the vette transmission handles the appropriate amount of torque and HP.

Interestingly enough, I found this quote from "Isuzu Jerry Lemond" on the topic...
    Quote Originally Posted by JLEMOND
    Quote Originally Posted by zquest
    would this be possible at all? same year tranny but 60E vs 30E
    YES IT CAN AND WILL FOR THE MOST PART BOLT UP, BU T HEN THE FUN BEGINS, WITH THE WIRING , AN EASIER SWAP IS TO USE A 700 R4 FROM A CHEVY S 10 2.8 ENG , IT BOLTS RIGHT ON, AND CAN BE MODIFIED TO EASILY HOLD 350 HP , AND THE EASIEST PART THE CONVERTOR WILL BOLT RIGHT TO YOUR STOCK FLYWHEEL, AND THE ENG BOLTS RIGHT UP. TO THE TRANS CASE , A LITTLE WIRING FOR THE CONVERTOR CONTROL LOCKUP AND YOU WILL HAVE TO FAB UP A BRACKET TO OPERATE THE THE KICK DOWN CABLE SO THAT YOU CAN ADJUST THE UP SHIFT POINTS OF THE TRANS , ,
    A 4L60 WILL ALL SO WORK AS LONG AS IT IS FOR THE 2.8 ENG THE 4L60 E IS A DIFF ANIMAL ALTOGETHER AS FAR AS CONTROL GOES ,
    THE 700R4 AS GM ORIGINALLY BUILT IT WAS JUST LIKE THE TURBO 350 A REAL [PIECE OF CRAP , UN TILL THE AFTERMARKET GOT HOLD OF IT AND MADE IT WORK LIKE GM SHOULD HAVE OR COULD HAVE IN THE VERY BEGINING , AND NOW BOTH TRANS ARE AS GOOD AS THEY COME , THE 700/4L60 HAS A 3.06 FIRST GEAR AND A 30% OVERDRIVE , ABOUT AS GOOD AS IT GETS, ONE OF THE GUYS ON THIS BOARD ABOTU 5 YEARS AGO PUT THIS SAME SETUP IN HIS RODEO BUT USED A DANA TRANS FER CASE AND IT WAS VERY CLOSE TO THE TORSION BARS, BUT I THINK HE CORRECTED THAT WITH A SAS, BANSIL REMEMBER ANDRES OLD RODEO, WHEN WE HAD ALL THE TRANNY PARTS LAID OUT ON THE TABLE THERE AT URE MAKING ALL SORT S OF MEASUREMENTS AND IT ALL CAME TOGETHER

JERRY

Yeah...Jerry always types in caps.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    So any update from the OP (WRBSTI)?
    I noticed the listing for his VX engine is gone from craigslist. Maybe he sold the engine & is working hard on the swap? I'm sure he'll chime in with some details soon enough.