Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: VehiCROSS V8 Conversion Kit

Do you know how much the Northstar weighs vs. the stock 3.5? Would be interested to know how the power-to-weight ratio and front/rear weight distribution change with this conversion. Depending on the weight factor prospective buyers might want to upgrade their brakes at the same time.

WRBSTI Keep us posted on your findings/fab. I have 175k on my clock (still running good) and shooting for 200k. I walk to work now so my miles building up have slowed down. I told myself if and when I lose my engine/Tranny I'm going with a simple SBC - carbureted , 700R4, 2wd. Simple and no electronic headache's. But I'll look forward to your findings...

Quick search and found a couple... Hope your Northstar kit works out I just might go that way

2007 Buick Lucerne Engine 4.6 Northstar, 24,000 miles - $1200

2000 Cadillac Northstar motor 77,000 miles - $750
    Last edited by VCrossfan : 01/07/2012 at 08:37 PM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

Re: weight of the 4.6 northstar

I believe it is 400-450, depending on accessories and such...

I am meeting with a guy tomorrow at 8am to discuss options for the kit. I will update this thread tomorrow after the meeting. Is there anyone would like to know about the kit or anything else. Like I stated in the beginning I am very open to ideas and other things that would make the kit more appealing to members.

How tunable is the ECM / PCM? In other words, can you buy a Superchips kit to dial the HP up and down depending on the situation (occasional burn-out vs. everyday driving)?

Also, do you think any of the newer GM engines with cylinder deactivation technology would work? Might be a good way to steal a few MPGs back...

The GM engines with cylinder deactivation are riddled with oil cunsumption issues even worse than our 3.5. As far as tuning I will look into that as well

there is a way to run them on LS-1 ECU and put a chip in it that you can tune urself.
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29770

Regarding the transmission issue, I'd be inclined to contact these guys:

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/

Even though they don't "list" the 4L30E, if there's ANY way possible to beef it up, these are the guys to do it! Even though I have ZERO problems w/my VX engine so far, I'm still "all in" on this one! Make it hap'n, Cap'n!

So I just got back from meeting with a GM master tech regarding the swap, the kit, the wiring and all things VehiCROSS. The project has moved one more step forward and we are hoping to start it by next week. Basically it looks like with the NorthStar we will be able to keep all accessories including the A/C. Second we are going to look into changing the steering to a rack for more clearance. Third as far as wiring is concerned it looks like it will be a mix of the stock PCM and wire it into the stock Isuzu PCM. From what I understood the easiest and cheapest way to make it work is to do a three wire split from the XLR PCM into the Isuzu PCM. There are ways to do a standalone ECU but if we can do it using the stock ECU that will save at least 800 dollars.

So here is the deal:

Myself and the GM master tech are very interested in making this work and he is under the assumption that it really wont be too difficult to make it work. The thing that we are worried about though is the unknown. As we all know the Unknown is what costs the most money and time. Both of which I do not have a lot of extra. So basically there are a few options that I would like to discuss with fellow forum Members.

Option #1: I am wanting to know how serious forum members are about the conversion kit. I will set up a PayPal account specifically for this forum and project and will be taking what I consider down payments. The way this would work is once everything is done and the kit is being made, I will sell the kit to the people who have made the down payment for the cost of the kit. So if the kit ends up costing me 500 to produce per kit, I will sell it to the people who have made down payments for COST plus shipping. I will not be making a dime, you scratch my back, I scratch yours.

Option #2: I will once again make a paypal account: I will start a new Thread for my cost of everything that is needed for the kit. That way you will know what is is costing me VS what it costs for the consumer. Whether you are interested or not in the kit you can out money in the paypal account. Once install is done and the kit is being manufactured ever forum member on here will know exactly what the kit costs me VS you. If I can raise the money that I think is needed for this to be a successful kit I will sell each kit at cost to every member who is interested, whether you donated 5 dollars or 1,000 dollars. The benefit of this is that some people may find it hard to stomach putting a large amount down on a project that is not complete. So if there are enough members on here who like the idea of the kit and we can raise the money I will have the availability to not only complete the kit within the next four weeks but I will also bring as many kits to the Utah Meet as possible, therefore avoiding shipping.

Option #3: You decide how interested people are and if it is worth it to invest in the kit. Like I said this is very doable and if I start next weekend will be done by the end of February at the latest. The issue right now is that I need to know that there is enough interest in the kit so I know I can not only help forum members but also not screw myself out of thousands of dollars.

The Plan: I will make a kit that includes the following- Motor Mounts, Wiring Kit, full color bound install manual, all bolt sizes and all tools needed, any miscellanious bolt nuts or parts needed, any brackets for accessories, and lastly a custom engine cover made for the Northstar but says VehiCROSS V8.

I am not asking for donations but I truly do not want to finish this project and have no interest with forum members on the kit. I am happy to sell the kit for cost if we can make one of the options work, if no one is able to commit though I will have to re-asses the situation. I may go ahead and not do the conversion as planned, or I may still do it but the cost of the kit would reflect my time spent on R&D, installling it, and cost of parts which would realistically end up doubling the kits cost. Like I said, you scratch my back I scratch yours, I do not need to make money off of this as I think it would be pretty cool to be able for the average Joe to put a V8 in the VehiCROSS. However, I am also no willing to undertake it alone and sell the kit for little to no gain.

Please be respectful with responses. If I am asking too much or too little please let me know but lets refrain from emotions and just talk fact.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????
    sounded so good right up to...i need your money first....that plus you been here a week.......good luck count me out....such a long winded scam

My advice would be option #2. The problem with option 1 is that you risk having to pay everyone back if you can't finish or have some sort of family emergency pop up. Option 3 is risky because folks on this board are infamous for saying their interested and then disappearing when it comes time to put up the cash (e.g. Robbomaz supercharger kit, my spare Borbets, Marlin's skid plates, etc). Option #2 is best, but I would recommend you credit folks' donations against the sales price.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    My two cents.....

Do yours, as you said you would:-

"" Once these are in my VX should be complete within a week or two. I will be taking
    a lot of pictures and making them into a manual for the kit. The kit will not include the engine
    but as most know the Aurora V8 can be found for less than 1,000 and a good Northstar can
    be found for not much more.""

....and show it off in Moab in May.

If it passes the Moab crowd scrutiny...you'll be golden.

If you want "help" prior to that, I suggest you contact a few of the Denver area owners that are members here...
    ...and invite them over for a "show & tell" so some 3rd party feedback is available.

JMHO.

jo

PS..whats up with this thread...scroll right to read it properly..???
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long winded scam?

Like I stated at the end of the post I am open to any and all ideas. I am not here to scam people nor am i here to make a profit, I am a car enthusiast like many people on here. If no one on here is comfortable putting anything down that is fine. Like I said I am still most likely planning on doing the conversion. The downside though is that I will not be able to produce multiple kits at the same time. For example if Joe Smith wants to buy one after he sees it completed I will be happy to sell it to him, but at that point in time I will still need money up front for machining, wiring, etc. I am not in a financial position to build 10 kits and hope they sell, unless there is money down I will not comfortable building more than one set at a time. If no one is wiling to put anything down, and trust me I understand not wanting to, then I will be looking at this kit as more of a profit turner rather than a community helper. I understand the skepticism about putting money down but also understand that this is a project for me, not my full time job.

So if no one likes the idea of putting money down I understand. The last two options that I thought of are these:

#1- I will do the build based upon the assumption that people are more curious about seeing this done rather than doing it themselves. Therefore I will build one kit. If members like it I will build as many as kits as I have orders for. I will not ask for anything down but now I will have to CMA (cover my A@#). Therefore, I will need to turn enough profit on these kits that if someone orders one and backs out I will not be in the red. So basically instead of getting it at cost I will be charging what my time is worth plus all parts associated.

#2- As stated before I will figure out all kinks before I make any kits, I will not sell anything that is subpar. I will create a legally binding contract (my brother is a lawyer) between myself and the purchaser of the kit. I will require a 500 dollar down payment that I am unable to withdraw until the kit is complete and the consumer is happy. This will mean that everything in the kit is as stated and will work with your vehicle. If this is the case I will then withdraw all down payments to pay for machining costs as well as parts. Once each kit is ready I will require the rest of the payment in full. Once received the kit will be shipped out within 2 business days. Because I will not be able to access the funds until everything is ready I will be making a profit on the kit, I have not figured how much but I will need to make some money.

I thought my offer of selling the kit at my cost was more than fair, apparently that came off as sounding like a scam though. So you can disregard my previous post about payments in advance especially if you feel like it is a scam.

I understand I have only been on here for a short while, but I have been a lurker for years and decided to sign up after I had purchased the NorthStar and wanted to gauge interest on others wanting to swap since no one is very happy with our stock engine. I am not here to scam people, I wasn't even on here to turn a profit but alas too many bad people have screwed over the good people and I understand your weariness.

Feel free to post more input or any other ideas about how we can work as a community to make this work.

vt_maverick

My advice would be option #2. The problem with option 1 is that you risk having to pay everyone back if you can't finish or have some sort of family emergency pop up. Option 3 is risky because folks on this board are infamous for saying their interested and then disappearing when it comes time to put up the cash (e.g. Robbomaz supercharger kit, my spare Borbets, Marlin's skid plates, etc). Option #2 is best, but I would recommend you credit folks' donations against the sales price.

This option works for me and I will sell the kit for my cost + the largest donation - your donation
    for example if the kit costs me 400 dollars and vt_maverick donates the most at 300 dollars I will sell the kit for 700 dollars - your donation. Therefore vt_maverick will get the kit for my cost of 400 dollars. If Joe Smith donates 20 dollars the cost for Joe Smith will be 680. The reason for this is I dont think it is fair for vt_maverick if he pays the same amount as someone who donated 5 dollars.
    Once again I am open for ideas so feel free to provide feedback.

the nail was hit.....do one and show it.
    kit according to response
    I lke the V8 conversion....I think it's been started by a member or two
    I even have a lovely GM small block on a stand to do one with...someday
    never heard of one actually running and driving