Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: VT_Maverick's 5 Speed Swap

VT_Maverick's 5 Speed Swap

Ok, the transformation has begun. I've received most of the parts from Jerry to do the swap, the actual clutch is still on its way. I got the old auto trans out today and plan on myabe getting the pedals swapped out tomorrow and get the flywheel installed too. Once the clutch gets here it is time for the next step. I am still scratching my head on the wiring as there are a ton of wires on the auto and not so many on the manual. I will get it figured out soon, no worries Ashley! So now for some pictures....

Here is the patient ready for surgery..

Flywheel, pedals, clutch master, slave cylinder, new clutch bolts, new trans mount, and new flywheel bolts...

The AR5 manual trans...

I was pleased to see no rust and all bolts came out easily, except the exhaust bolts which required some heat to losen up...

So pumped... and I told you guys he would post pics!

Some general shots during the tear down...

TOD unit...

Console is out...

Note to self.... don't forget the little ground wire....

AR5 -vs- 4L30

Talk about a wiring mess....

TOD is much larger than the transfer case that was in the Trooper...

Look Ma no tranny!...

I will be making a trip to the junk yard tomorrow to see if I can find some interior pieces to go around the shifter. The under boot from the Trooper will work BUT the interior trim piece will not. I am hoping something from an Amigo or Rodeo will work. The end goal is for VT_Maverick to have a VX that looks like it originally came from the factory with a 5 speed.
    Last edited by Buffy : 12/28/2011 at 07:07 PM

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    Too cool guys, I'm pumped to see how it all works out. Best of luck with the swap!! Keep those pics and info coming...
    Vixer Fixer

If you have any wiring issues you might give Allen (bigmeatvx) a shout. If I remember right he said his wiring was plug and play except a couple wires that controled the trooper shift light/vx tod light.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Billy do you have contact info for Allen? I believe Greg has been trying to reach him unsuccessfully for the past few weeks.

The center console from a mid-late 90s rodeo or passport will work

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

What's the weight difference between the two trannies? I figure the manual should be a few lbs lighter, plus the weight of the fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Billy do you have contact info for Allen? I believe Greg has been trying to reach him unsuccessfully for the past few weeks.
    Might try offrodenut@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    The center console from a mid-late 90s rodeo or passport will work
    Yeah I was looking at pics online last night and the 95.5-97 Rodeo/Passport console should work. IIRC the center console around the shifters was really wide in the Trooper which is why it doesn't fit.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Woohoo, thanks for posting the swap with pics!!!! I'm planning on doing the swap next fall and the info is very helpful, keep it going .

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    I have his updated email & phone # if you want, the aol address is old. Just PM if you want & i'll look it up.

Can you PM it to me and Buffy both? He's the one who really needs to talk to him (about the wiring especially).

Man, if you guys do this right and put together a little how-to, there could be more than a few "donations" in the cards.

As engines and trannies start going, this would provide a great way to not just fix them up, but make them feel like a whole new experience. For my part, I'd try to mate a more powerful engine while I'm at it. Too bad I just friggin' replaced mine.

I know in our discussions the goal was first and foremost to increase reliability. Replacing the wimpy 4L30 with an Isuzu-sourced, beefier, and cheaper to maintain transmission eliminates half of our major reliability problems while likely increasing fuel economy by a few MPGs as well. The next logical step would be to swap out the oil and gas gulping engine, with the easiest option being an Isuzu-sourced engine that is compatible with the AR5 transmission, hence why Greg is looking at diesel options. Assuming he can get a non-problematic engine to work (per PK's comments) that would give us a much longer life engine that's also more fuel efficient (we're thinking 25-30 MPG + between a diesel and manual). Granted it won't have the muscle or sexiness of a GM V8 swap, but it would (theoretically) be much more fuel efficient and reliable. As you can see there are a number of technical hurdles to solve with all Isuzu components, so you can only imagine what would be involved in a full drivetrain swap. And it's anybody's guess how reliable (and expensive) that might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    If you have any wiring issues you might give Allen (bigmeatvx) a shout. If I remember right he said his wiring was plug and play except a couple wires that controled the trooper shift light/vx tod light.
    I got a ton of paperwork from Allan when I bought it and I think I remember seeing a wiring diagram of some sort that was for the tranny swap or something like it. I know he wired up the trooper shift indicator light to the "check trans" light.

Guess this means I won't have the only 5-speed VX anymore. Can't wait to see the results!