Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help! Won't start

Help! Won't start

Hi all,

This morning went to start my VX and all I get is a rapid clicking sound. Engine doesn't even try to turn over. I checked the battery cables, verified my lights weren't left on. Seems I am getting power, my interior lights come on.

What could/would this be, any ideas?

Thanks!
    Jay

Could be a few things:

1. Dead cell in battery keeping you from getting enough charge to the starter.

2. Bad Bendix

3. Bad Starter

It takes much less juice to get your lights on than it does to get the motor started. Try jump starting it and see if it starts up as normal. If it does, it's probably the battery. You can take it to Autozone or Pep Boys and have it tested. My OEM battery had a dead cell at 33k miles.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Thanks John,

I jumped it and it started right up. I have no idea as to why my battery would die. I've had my VX for just over a year, and only 10K miles. I will take it to Pep Boys and have them check the battery.

Jay

NOT a battery problem

Just got back from PepBoys. Battery and altenator checks out fine. He is convinced it is an electrical problem somewhere else.

I will have to take it to the dealer tomorrow. Any other ideas as to what they should look at?

Thanks!
    Jay

If your alternator and battery check out and the jump worked, it sounds like the battery got drained by something, either a device or bad ground. Keep an eye on it for a few days and see if it happens again. If you continue to have a problem, look for any add-on circuits, like for running lights or any additional equipment. The culprit is usually something like that rather than an OEM circuit.

I had the battery drained once when I took the VX in to a full service car wash. When they were wiping out the interior, they left the map lights on in the mirror. Sat all day with them on, then over night (I hadn't left the house or I would have noticed it). The overnight drain was enough to discharge the battery to the point where it wouldn't start.

If all else fails, you can have an auto electrician put a meter on your battery when you car is shut down, see what type of current draw may still be there (should be some load there if your alarm is on). I'm not sure what it's supposed to read, but I seem to remember another thread where it's discussed? Anyone?

-- John

Lightbulb

If you've got the OEM battery they're notorious for lasting less than a year. If you have another vehicle you could swap batteries and see if the problem follows the battery. An excellent replacement is an Optima Red Top, probably the best battery known.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

I had the same problem with mine. Replaced the battery and it's been fine since. My terminals were also sizzleing after trying to start it. I'd go with a battery mine was 18 months old when it happened.

Re: NOT a battery problem

Originally posted by ISCE
    Just got back from PepBoys. Battery and altenator checks out fine. He is convinced it is an electrical problem somewhere else.

I will have to take it to the dealer tomorrow. Any other ideas as to what they should look at?

Thanks!
    Jay
    Has anything electrical been modified? Stereo, amp, lights, horns, etc? Has it been sitting for a long time? days, weeks, months, etc... Try Al Packer, best local dealer we've got
    NAVIGATOR

new battery in

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

I called Al Packer, but he wasn't sure if he could get me in today so I just went and bought a new battery. I couldn't be without a ride for the next two days.

Tried several places but couldn't find a Red Top, ended up getting the best one I could buy. After putting it in it started right up.

I do have a GPS and seat vibrator/heater. Had the GPS for almost a year, and the seat vib for maybe a month. My theory is that leaving them plugged in even though they were off must have been draining the battery. I will now keep them unplugged when not in use. Actually, won't use them for a while to make for sure something else isn't draining the battery.

I suspect the seat vib must have either really drained the battery or had a constant drain even when off but plugged in. With all the other advice and searching on the VX dead battery I am convinced it was just the battery.

Thanks again everyone!
    Jay

Thumbs up

Glad to hear it! Pity you couldn't get the Optima, those things are awesome! Just goes to show how hard it is for most to diagnose a bad battery, especially the maintenance-free types.

When you change the Battery- Change the battery terminals as well. The Isuzu OEM terminals are notorious for being loose fitting & difficult to keep tight.
    Neither ordinary or extraordinary, just indefatigable.

2000 VX Green Dragon- Chick Demagnitizer-Supercharger-Injen Intake- Cold air box-K&N- Power Vault SS Exhaust-265-75-16 BFG MT kms-On Board CO2- Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates- PIAA 520 Fog Lites-3inch lift with OME 912 Springs-LINE X Bedliner on Cladding & Hood Insert-ARB Front Lockers & Custom Bull Bar. Vintage Offenhauser Hood scoop Thule Rack. XM Radio-Custom Storage Box-First VX to surmount the RUBICON.Thanks Sierra Stompers

Who makes the Isuzu OEM battery? When I bought mine used it came with an Interstate battery, which has been fine.

Just interested if I have an OEM, or if mine's been replaced?

Mine had a Japanese brand, like Fujitsu (or something like that - don't remember exactly). Lated 31k miles then a cell went bad.

--John

OEM battery

My OEM battery says Panasonic on the side.

I think I had a FUJI or somesuch, but it's in the Ford 3000 tractor now as I kept the Optima Yellow Top from my Trooper RS and swapped it as soon as I got home from the dealership with the VX. I know of a few people who had similar problems with OEM batteries in several new Toyotas as well. Kathy's '01 Trooper's OEM battery just went kaput at about 23K miles recently and got a Red Top replacement. Not a lick o' trouble since!