Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: High Idle suddenly =/

High Idle suddenly =/

Leaving work and notice that my car idles around 1500 when in drive. I bumped in into Neutral and after a second or two the rpm shot up to almost 2500 steady. No, the throttle cable isn't stuck. Never noticed this before like 10 minutes ago. And yes, I'm killing the search function lol.
    "Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. -Romans 3:28

Was the floor mat possibly up against the gas pedal? This issue has popped up with a few members here (it even happened to me once...never again though), and it's been described as intermittent at best. Not sure if there's really an answer to this one.

This does sound A LOT like a transmission problem, especially if the engine flux idle sensor/capacitor thats inside the MRF is leaking. Have you had any recent work done? The MRF-usion bolt is behind the flexplate mounting bolts and can be damaged when the tranny is serviced??

Mine did this last winter.. One time, RPMS go to 2500 after putting the car into park. The issue resolved itself and never happened again.

Hmmm. No. But I remember reading something on here once about remote starting the VX giving it issues and having to turn it off and restart it. I remote start my car each morning, but it has time to warm up. Today I remote started it from like 10 feet away and got right in and it did it immediately. It didn't happen once I restarted the car. Hmmm.

On second thought, I think the floormat issue was related to a Toyota Tacoma I used to have. Toyota had even incorporated hooks into the floorboard carpeting that went through a hole in the floormat to keep it from shifting too far forward.

On VX's, the main possibility that's usually popped up is the drivers' right foot hitting the brake pedal and gas pedal at the same time because they're so close together, especially if aftermarket pedal covers have been installed.

Fuel pressure regulator caused all sorts of idle problems on my vx. some days it would idle at 2k rpms others it would stall out right away.. Seemed to be dependant on the engines temp when started and how recently the vx was driven.. After 5 minutes of driving it would return back to normal

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Tons of reasons for this to happen, and it is very common. Some causes are mundane, some are very esoteric. All I can say is do a search for "high idle" and be prepared to swap in some parts.

Was the fuel pressure regulator expensive or hard to replace? I'm not sure of the location of that part...

Poor contact within the battery terminals or cables can cause erratic idle/high idle.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    Was the fuel pressure regulator expensive or hard to replace? I'm not sure of the location of that part...
    FPR is more expensive and harder to replace than many of the first tier "fixes".

I'd call first tier somthing like clean the mass airflow sensor, replace the idle air control valve, clean or replace the throttle position sensor, same with EGR and PCV valves. Then move on to the FPR.

If you can search the forum you would have seen all these suggestions many many times.

Are you getting a check engine light and code? I had this problem recently and it turned out to be the idle-air regulator motor/valve asembly. $47.00 to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    Are you getting a check engine light and code? I had this problem recently and it turned out to be the idle-air regulator motor/valve asembly. $47.00 to replace.
    I think that's the air idle control valve or AIC. Very easy to replace and yeah about $45 at <insert local auto parts place here>.

Quote Originally Posted by atilla_the_fun View Post
    This does sound A LOT like a transmission problem, especially if the engine flux idle sensor/capacitor thats inside the MRF is leaking. Have you had any recent work done? The MRF-usion bolt is behind the flexplate mounting bolts and can be damaged when the tranny is serviced??

Mine did this last winter.. One time, RPMS go to 2500 after putting the car into park. The issue resolved itself and never happened again.
    Shenanigans.

You're right Grif, I didn't look close enough.

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthr...ight=high+idle

I will go through these ideas and see how dirty things are, clean them, and replace them if I need to. I didn't see though the location of the IAC or PCV. Are they easily accessible from the engine bay? I'm googled for images, but it didn't show me locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    You're right Grif, I didn't look close enough.

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthr...ight=high+idle

I will go through these ideas and see how dirty things are, clean them, and replace them if I need to. I didn't see though the location of the IAC or PCV. Are they easily accessible from the engine bay? I'm googled for images, but it didn't show me locations.
    PCV is right under plastic engine cover, driver's side, front. See that square part sticking out, it's right under that.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.