Thread: 2001 VX Blowing Engine Fuse

2001 VX Blowing Engine Fuse

Hello yall,
    I have a 2001 VX that all of sudden started blowing the 15amp engine fuse the one located on the driver side of the dashboard. I took off from my house and everything seemed normal, but in less than 1/2 a mile the engine died and all the lights came on. I replaced the fuse, but it blew it the second I turned the ignition key on. I noticed if I waited about 10 minutes (allowing the VX to cool off some) then it would start again but would die withen a block...may fat *** had to push that damn thing back to the house...up hill...both ways...in the snow! Just kidding about both ways in the snow, but it was up hill.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Ollie North
    2001 VX, Austin, TX

WOW...where are the experts on this forum????

Hi,
    I don't have any personal experience, but I looked through the diagrams for you. The Engine Fuse is CB-3 and supplies 12 volts + in start or run to a number of engine items including: voltage regulator, MAF sensor, intake air vacuum switching valve, EVAP canister purge valve, EVAP canister cut valve, PCM relay, EGR solenoid valve, and maybe others. A pinched wire or corroded connector or other damage to any of these items would be suspect. Most would throw CEL but not all.
    Hope this gives you a start. BTW I got the Electric Troubleshooting guide in the downloads section of this website and it is very helpful.
    Good luck,
    Dave

Thanks a lot Dave for your reply...I am still looking, so far I have not found the short. I cannot use an error code reader, because the fuse blows when you turn the key to "on"...before it hits the starting position. What makes this worse is the fact that I know very little about electrical troubleshooting. Last weekend I wiggled a bunch of wires and to my surprise the VX started and kept running until I shut it off 15 minutes later. Today the fuse blew the second I turned the key on. I went around wiggling the same wires i thought I wiggled last week with no luck...I hate electrical problems!!

Check wire bundles where they pass through the firewall or other bulkheads, pass near objects, or pass near hot areas ( engine, exhaust, tranny) for wires that might have the casing rubbed through causing shorts.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Issue RESOLVED:
    With the help from Ms. Lisa Bauman and her boy friend Greg (Both are VX owners), I was able to identify the cause of the issue. The plug wire for the "Fuel System Evaporative Canister" rubbed on the side of a metal piece to the point where the plastic shielding completely rubbed off and the wire was touching metal. It was easy to spot the burn marks. Applying some electric tape and using a zip tie to make sure the wire never rubs again did the trick. This box is on the bottom of the VX in front of the gas tank on the passenger side right above the rear axle.

I highly recommend you all check that plug wire...we all have the same VX. I did not do anything special to cause this issue...I just drove the VX then it eventually happened...So make sure you are not next.

Thanks to all of you for giving me tips and trying to help me and special thanks for Lisa and Greg...After 6 weeks of total frustration the VX is on the road again.

If anyone has further questions please feel free to email me ollie@aggiebossman.com, or call me at 512-497-7075

Ollie North,
    20011 Proton Yellow, Austin, TX.
    Last edited by TexasProton : 12/21/2011 at 05:03 PM

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Glad my electrical diagnostic skills helped, I am tired of making Greg look competent! LOL
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Good post. I will check mine out today!!

Now... can someone tell me where the "Fuel System Evaporative Canister" is?

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Quote Originally Posted by crager34 View Post
    Good post. I will check mine out today!!

Now... can someone tell me where the "Fuel System Evaporative Canister" is?
    Passanger rear black box in front of gas tank......

Quote Originally Posted by VX crazy View Post
    Glad my electrical diagnostic skills helped, I am tired of making Greg look competent! LOL
    The truth be told...Greg and I were initially thinking it was a faulty trailer harness. Greg unplugged the ground wire from the trailer harness and like magic the VX started and stayed running. I turned off the engine and restarted it 4 times and it started every time. Greg and I concluded that the issue was fixed. Lisa; however kept saying it was too good to be true that the first thing we tried on Saturday fixed the issue...She was 100% right. After Lisa and Greg left I took the VX for a test drive and it started blowing fuses again...that is until Greg suggested unplugging the "Fuel Evaporator Canister"...The rest is history.

So Ms. Lisa...it is true...you definitely showed both of us

Quote Originally Posted by TexasProton View Post
    The truth be told...Greg and I were initially thinking it was a faulty trailer harness. Greg unplugged the ground wire from the trailer harness and like magic the VX started and stayed running. I turned off the engine and restarted it 4 times and it started every time. Greg and I concluded that the issue was fixed. Lisa; however kept saying it was too good to be true that the first thing we tried on Saturday fixed the issue...She was 100% right. After Lisa and Greg left I took the VX for a test drive and it started blowing fuses again...that is until Greg suggested unplugging the "Fuel Evaporator Canister"...The rest is history.

So Ms. Lisa...it is true...you definitely showed both of us
    Ollie the funny thing is, is my GUT was saying........that it wasn't fixed........trust the gut! Remember I wanted you to drive it? I now have a tad bit of understanding after watching Greg study wire diagram of our truck.