Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Ten years of VX bliss!!

My Ten years of VX bliss!!

It was 10 years ago today that I drove 60 miles to Silver Spring, MD, to take a look at a used '99 Iron Man. I mentioned to the salesman that I REALLY wanted a Proton (to match my Cobra and CBR), and he walked me over to the showroom where their last new 2001 VX was sitting with a dead battery. I already knew that VX was going to be mine by the end of the day, but we went through the whole haggling process anyway, while they brought the VX back to life. Someone on the old forum claims that he was going to buy that same VX the following Monday! How different my life would be now if I had waited a week.

10 years and 130,000 miles later my VX still has working windows and CD player, and no CEL/TOD/ABS lights! I've never had any major issues, and have had it serviced by the same dealership (NOT the one I bought it from) on schedule since day one. I don't drive it much these days, even though it is technically my "daily driver", so I'm planning to have the 135K service done early, just to make sure everything is still perfect and also to install those OEM front brakes I've had sitting in a box for the last couple years.

If I had it all to do over again, would I have changed anything? NO! I think it was destiny--fate--whatever, that brought us together, and it's a relationship that (hopefully) will last forever. My VX has been very good to me, and I have been very good to it (except that one outing with Tom, Eric, Andres, Norman and their significant others. Bad TOM!!)

I'll post my ownership story again in the 20th Anniversary forum 10 years from now. See you all there!!
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

I've had 3 months of tranny problems and wheels falling apart...jealousy....Hahahaha
    "Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. -Romans 3:28

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    ... and I have been very good to it (except that one outing with Tom, Eric, Andres, Norman and their significant others. Bad TOM!!)
    That was Andres' fault ... not mine.

Grats on the 10 year mark. I'll get there eventually (as long as the VX doesn't decide to park itself on top of a van again).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Nice to hear from someone with no problems.

One of the pitfalls of forums like this is you hear all of the bad and only a little of the good, leaving an impression of nothing but problems.

(except that one outing with Tom, Eric, Andres, Norman and their significant others. Bad TOM!!)
    I heard you kept a California Car Duster close by at all times.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
    Nice to hear from someone with no problems.

One of the pitfalls of forums like this is you hear all of the bad and only a little of the good, leaving an impression of nothing but problems.
    X2 I am going on 7 years and the only time she has been in the shop is to have the intake manifold replaced

(except that one outing with Tom, Eric, Andres, Norman and their significant others. Bad TOM!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    I heard you kept a California Car Duster close by at all times.
    That is absolutely true, and I did use it...ONCE! It took quite a bit more than any duster could handle by the time I got home.

It had been dirtier before this, but NEVER stank as bad. Thank goodness for the pressure washer! It has not been that dirty since, though.

Gregg, welcome to the VX Ten Year Club! It's great to see another original owner and original forum member staying loyal for ten years. One day Scott will be creating a twenty year anniversary forum and we'll be chiming in again.

That's a cool story about how you bought it just before another Club VMag member. You snooze, you lose!

Mark Griffin

Well, I can't say yet that I've had my VX for 10 years, but I can say that I also bought mine in Silver Spring, MD. (From the original owner).

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Coming up on two years and no problems...great to see that this will be the last vehicle I will ever have...congrats on 10 years!
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    TEN YEARS..awesome!

7 for me...and no problems (other than Moab abuse!)

I'm lov'n it.

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    I am coming up on 10 yrs too, still loving it!
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Lucky Seven for me . No issues, really to report. Everything original still works as it should. Knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by VXR View Post
    X2 I am going on 7 years and the only time she has been in the shop is to have the intake manifold replaced
    Intake manifold GASKET I meant to say...

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Quote Originally Posted by VX crazy View Post
    I am coming up on 10 yrs too, still loving it!
    Funny, I have the original powervault muffler that I had on my original vx for 110k miles, and had it put on this vx when I got it, so that muffler has about 170k miles on it! CRAZY, guess its time to replace!