Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Squeaking Is Drivng Me Crazy!!

Angry The Squeaking Is Drivng Me Crazy!!

:madp: I am telling you, I never thought I'd say this but the constant squeaking my VX does is driving me crazy! I absolutely hate it! It sounds like a creaky spring or something.

It happens when the car is stationary and I close the door.
    It happens if I roll over a bump at slow speeds.
    It happens when I fly over a bump at high speeds.

I simply cannot find the source of the squeaking. If this is normal and cannot be stopped, it will push me towards thinking about other vehicles. I know, I know, just thinking about it constitutes "Vehicular Adultery" but I am at the end of my rope.

Anybody else have similar problems?
    Chet - CBA_VX

Mine had the exact same thing..... Mine has been in an accident so I thought it was something serious, I looked and looked and looked. It was just as you described it did it when I shut the door and when I went over very small bumps or very large bumps. I was getting pretty fed up I had climbed under the car so much and sprayed everything I could think of with wd-40 just to try and find out what it was.. I finally talked a maintenance guy at work into driving it and trying to locate the noise. After we looked for about half an hour and pushed and pulled and went over everything we could think of with no luck.... He wiggled the HOOD!!!! and that was it..... It was the hood latch. He wraped some electrical tape around hook that the latch holds as a temporary fix and the squeak STOPED FINALLY !!!!!
    I really hope this helps cause I know the feeling.....
    Joe

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    Chet,

Do a search on hood squeaks. This has been a problem for many. Babe, you just gotta ask!
    Last edited by Anita : 09/29/2003 at 11:25 AM
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

If all else fails here is a sure fire way to cure it....
    Turn up your stereo!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

definitely the hood latch

i had the exact same thing happen to me two weeks ago... i got to looking... opened the hood... an there it was!!! the previous owner had wrapped tape around it and it had worn away... replaced the tape, and all is well...

technocoy
    macintosh man

The Stereo option works!

You gotta be kidding? Tape? Wow.... Okaaayy, I'll look at this once I got out of work. Even thought the loud stereo volumne option works...

I am just a little frustrated. Thank so much all!!!

somebody pleazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzze post a pic of where you wrap the tape i am also going nutz

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    Amack and Chet,

Check out this thread.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...=&threadid=335

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987

Tape?

Sounds a little Rube Goldberg-ish. How about lubricating it with some chassis grease?

Originally posted by Anita
    Amack and Chet,

Check out this thread.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...=&threadid=335
    You know I did this and it got a little better. I would like a pic of where I should wrap the tape.

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    Did you do a search? I posted about lubricating the the hood bumpers some time back. Use a good chassis grease, I prefer synthetic. Lube ALL of the hood bumpers, especially the rear. Post whether or not this fixes it.

Squeek 101...

...There are many places on the VX that start to squeek, especially this time of year. Here is the list of things to do to get rid of them:

1. Replace your sway bar bushings with greasable urathane's by ENERGY. You get better turning performance and eliminate sway bar squeeks.

2. Blast the joints of your clading with a jet of water at least twice a week to get the dust out. Grit between the cladding makes the VX squeek like a banshee.

3. Lube all rubber contact points around the hood, hatch and doors with silicone spray at least once a month or sooner if you still here squeeks after performing step 1 and 2.

the above steps worked for me, but then again after I installed my sub, i really can't hear anything that's not louder than an emergency horn or siren
    NAVIGATOR

Hey Guy's.....thanks for the advice. I too had the dreaded squeak, but put it down to an inherent feature of the VX.
    I greased the hood rubbers and hey presto! squeak vanished!!!

I know Joe_Black and I discussed this on another thread ( http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=2 ). Originally I had greased the rubber hood stops, as well as the hood hook and latch and my squeak didn't go away. So I figured it wasn't the hood so I turned to oiling every bolt under and around the shocks, springs, bushing and even the bolts on the rims and it still occured. It wasn't until I actually put tape around the hood hook that the squeak seems to have actually gone away. I've only been testing it out today, but so far not one squeak since the tape went on. Here are a couple of pics of where I placed the tape.

I'm thinking there has to be somthing better then tape that will last alot longer. I've only closed the hood once and opened it back up once and the tape has already been ripped apart. I'm betting that its preventing the latch from moving up and down n the hook and thats whats stopping it from squeaking. Maybe There's a rubber piece of some kind or somthing that we can use, any ideas??

BTW, my original solution was loud radio as well. I could only hear it when I turned the volume down and it would go away when I turned the volume back up. Maybe I should have checked my radio for static while in the low/off position j/k
    Last edited by omegavx : 09/30/2003 at 03:24 PM

Grease the latch and adjust it and the problem will go away. Tape or any other substance is only a temporary fix.