Thread: Help... Switching from mechanical tranny to fluid tranny???

Question Help... Switching from mechanical tranny to fluid tranny???

Not sure why my 01 Kaiser's doing this... its only got 15500 miles on it.

When i let off the gas (red lite, stop, whatnot) and touch the brake, it revs a little high, almost as if it's searching for a gear, and then comes down to normal as it finds one. I understand this from previous posts to be the auto tranny switching from mechanical mode to fluid mode. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The problem is, as i'm coming to a stop w/ my foot on the brake, I can feel the tranny shifting from 4th... to 3rd.... and when it gets to 2nd I can really feel it -- as if I was in a manual transmission vehicle -- then when i'm almost stopped and it goes from 2nd to 1st gear, I REALLY feel it... i can feel the truck jerk a little, just like if I did the same in a vehicle with manual transmission. Sometimes I can also hear a single mechanical 'knock' as it goes from 2nd to 1st. Any suggestions? Have not checked fluids or anything yet -- been really busy. It IS due for a transfer case fluid change though... doubt that would cause this situation.

Thanks fellas....
    Scuba
    Do they ever stop looking?

this is normal. almost everyone's got the same hard downshift to 1st gear. Try to lube the yoke and switch to synthetic atf and this may help.

Originally posted by iownvx
    this is normal. almost everyone's got the same hard downshift to 1st gear. Try to lube the yoke and switch to synthetic atf and this may help.
    This is not normal what he is describing as far as I am concerned. I'd change the fluids out and then see how it is, if there is no change then take it to the dealer and have it covered under warrenty. Your description is a bit more extreme then the minor clunks most of hear when down shifting from second to first.

I find 3rd & fourth the be the smoothest.
    Live Free or DIE!

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    I agree that it sounds more severe than normal. Seem to remember a similar post some time back. Try using the "search" function?