Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 64

Thread: Kilby is in business - Who wants their skid plates?!

  1. #16
    Member Since
    Jun 2002
    Location
    1999, Ebony, VX, #1679
    Posts
    8,422
    Thanked: 3
    Do people really take these things on "extreme" trails?

    I will one day get a skid plate fabbed that is somewhere between the trooper and kilby plates....cover everything vital but minimalist. Of course that will be sometime after that d44 does under the front end...so, don't hold your breath!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

  2. #17
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    2001, PROTON YELLOW, VehiCROSS, 1451
    Posts
    1,955
    Thanked: 0
    Excellent discussion. Are the Kilby's overkill??? You, bet; too the max (it's frickin' armour plate for Christ's sake)!!! Heck, the Kilby's have the ability to support the entire weight of the VX on a boulder centered underneath the VX and acting like a teder-toder without causing damage to critical drivetrain components.

    As "VX-KAT" and "VXorado" beautifully illustrated the heat issue is non-related, and the total peace of mind of having your entire undercarriage protected front-to-back is absolutely priceless, especially if you are non-lifted at OEM stock height. Further, having the Kilby's on your VX greatly enhance the "re-sale value" of your VX and will easily up the asking sale price by about a grand (due to the have's & and the have not theory).

    For example, the Kilby's are like having an option on a vehicle eventhough that option may never be used during the ownership of the vehicle.

    Suppose the following:

    A. VX with or without A/C. Yes; we know that A/C is a "standard option" on the VX, but if it wasn't then you'd still like to have it eventhough you may not ever use it.

    B. VX with or without Bumper Winch. Yes; the VX never came with an OEM factory Bumper Winch option, but if it did then we'd still want it eventhough we may not ever use it. Heck, how many times have you seen vintage 4x4 trucks on the street that had a factory WARN Bumper Winch and the cable-coils are still perfectly aligned because the Bumper Winch had never been used during the entire lifetime of the truck???

    C. VX with or without Kilby's. Yes; the VX never came with full belly-pan skidplates as an OEM factory option, but if it did then we'd still want it eventhough we may not ever use it.

    Does the likelyhood exist that the Kilby's will never be used to their full potential during the lifetime of the VX??? Yes. However; by damned, like A/C and the Front Bumper Winch example above, I still want the Kilby's because it is available as an option to the VX!!! Let's say you see two(2) identical same-colored VX's with exact same mileage on a Dealership Sales lot that the only differance being is that one VX has the Kilby's and the other VX does not. Chances are great that you'll purchase the VX that had the Kilby's, rather than the VX that did not. 'Nuff said.

    Last edited by Riff Raff : 11/05/2011 at 07:46 PM Reason: To correct spelling "typo's".

  3. #18
    Member Since
    Jun 2002
    Location
    1999, Ebony, VX, #1679
    Posts
    8,422
    Thanked: 3
    On other side, they could also de-value the VX in the buyers mind. Someone who would spend that kind of coin on a non factory mod would probably have done so for a reason...how hard was this VX really used?

  4. #19
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Posts
    4,402
    Thanked: 14
    I am somewhat amazed, but very happy to hear
    that some testing seems to show that the heat issue...

    ...is a non issue

    I think Billy summed it up..something in-between the Trooper bare bones approach
    ( which does seem to work perfectly well when lifted) and the full Kilby sheathing would be the ideal set up.

    And yes Sue, I think your standard ride height probably benefits from the full coverage ,
    however other non lifted VX's ( Mr G !!) do gnarly trails without ...

    In most cases,I would spend the money on a lift FIRST .

    Of course a good spotter helps more than anything!

    jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.


    ~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #20
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Posts
    4,402
    Thanked: 14
    BTW Sue...thanks for posting those pics !!
    .
    .






    I am now more convinced than ever that I need to get longer rear trailing arms.
    The back tire in both shots looks like its trying to jump into the front seats....

    jo

  6. #21
    Member Since
    Oct 2003
    Location
    1995 Isuzu Trooper LS
    Posts
    1,082
    Thanked: 3
    People's tolerance for trail damage varies...some shrug and move on, others can't stand dings to their baby. For the latter crowd, these skids are recommended.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

  7. #22
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Location
    99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Posts
    10,613
    Thanked: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    however other non lifted VX's ( Mr G !!) do gnarly trails without ...

    In most cases,I would spend the money on a lift FIRST .

    Of course a good spotter helps more than anything!

    jo
    That and the liberal application of many straps, & the cumulative piling of what must be by now, literally TONS of rocks...

  8. #23
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Posts
    4,402
    Thanked: 14
    LMAO!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    That and the liberal application of many straps, & the cumulative piling of what must be by now, literally TONS of rocks...
    ..no kidding!!!



    jo

  9. #24
    Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Location
    2000 Ironman VX #0092
    Posts
    5
    Thanked: 0
    I might be interested in these (with the powder-coating), depending on price and date available.

  10. #25
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Location
    2000 Proton VX - 0776
    Posts
    9,258
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    VX with or without Kilby's. Yes; the VX never came with full belly-pan skidplates as an OEM factory option, but if it did then we'd still want it eventhough we may not ever use it.
    'Splain to me why you would want to carry around 300lbs of steel that will never be used!!!

    I'm not 'dissing' the Kilby's. They are a great product ... for the right application ... but not for re-sale value. Just trying to figure out your logic. Why should 40lbs of unsprung weight be avoided at all cost but that much sprung weight is OK?


    Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

  11. #26
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Location
    99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Posts
    10,613
    Thanked: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    'Splain to me why you would want to carry around 300lbs of steel that will never be used!!!

    I'm not 'dissing' the Kilby's. They are a great product ... for the right application ... but not for re-sale value. Just trying to figure out your logic. Why should 40lbs of unsprung weight be avoided at all cost but that much sprung weight is OK?
    You should now be expecting a treatise on rotational mass/inertia/braking ability/bearing loads/overworked suspension components(shocks esp).....

  12. #27
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Location
    2000 Proton VX - 0776
    Posts
    9,258
    Thanked: 0
    You're a fine one to talk. Aren't you carrying around 300lbs of zombie & skull sh......tuff on yours.

    Wait - let me help you out -

  13. #28
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Location
    99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Posts
    10,613
    Thanked: 1

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    You're a fine one to talk. Aren't you carrying around 300lbs of zombie & skull sh......tuff on yours.

    Wait - let me help you out -
    Wasn't disagreeing with you, just telling you what's likely coming next...

    And they're called "tools & spares"...not zombie sh...tuff...

    And I hadn't used the word "treatise" in a long while...

  14. #29
    Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Location
    99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Posts
    2,656
    Thanked: 4
    Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Also the front skid plate acts as a water/mud shield to protect your alternator through water crossings.
    Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    'Splain to me why you would want to carry around 300lbs of steel that will never be used!!!
    This seems like this belongs in one of my threads, the Kilbys are a 300lb alternator protector required with the snorkel kit

  15. #30
    Member Since
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Former owner 2001, Foxfire Red, #0663
    Posts
    7,311
    Thanked: 33
    Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    This seems like this belongs in one of my threads, the Kilbys are a 300lb alternator protector required with the snorkel kit
    and hey, it's only 150 lbs...not 300!......makes it much better, dontcha think?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Similar Threads

  1. Kilby skid plates + diff drop?
    By BigSwede in forum VX Modifications...
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11/09/2013, 07:03 AM
  2. Any alternatives to Kilby skid plates?
    By DannyDigital in forum VX Modifications...
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03/04/2010, 10:44 PM
  3. skid plates
    By don moore in forum VX Talk...
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05/14/2008, 06:49 PM
  4. Skid Plates
    By TEN36VX in forum VX Modifications...
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05/21/2005, 07:38 PM
  5. the right skid plates???
    By rainee25 in forum VX Talk...
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09/04/2004, 02:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
$lv_vb_eventforums_eventdetails