Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Kilby is in business - Who wants their skid plates?!

Do people really take these things on "extreme" trails?

I will one day get a skid plate fabbed that is somewhere between the trooper and kilby plates....cover everything vital but minimalist. Of course that will be sometime after that d44 does under the front end...so, don't hold your breath!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Excellent discussion. Are the Kilby's overkill??? You, bet; too the max (it's frickin' armour plate for Christ's sake)!!! Heck, the Kilby's have the ability to support the entire weight of the VX on a boulder centered underneath the VX and acting like a teder-toder without causing damage to critical drivetrain components.

As "VX-KAT" and "VXorado" beautifully illustrated the heat issue is non-related, and the total peace of mind of having your entire undercarriage protected front-to-back is absolutely priceless, especially if you are non-lifted at OEM stock height. Further, having the Kilby's on your VX greatly enhance the "re-sale value" of your VX and will easily up the asking sale price by about a grand (due to the have's & and the have not theory).

For example, the Kilby's are like having an option on a vehicle eventhough that option may never be used during the ownership of the vehicle.

Suppose the following:

A. VX with or without A/C. Yes; we know that A/C is a "standard option" on the VX, but if it wasn't then you'd still like to have it eventhough you may not ever use it.

B. VX with or without Bumper Winch. Yes; the VX never came with an OEM factory Bumper Winch option, but if it did then we'd still want it eventhough we may not ever use it. Heck, how many times have you seen vintage 4x4 trucks on the street that had a factory WARN Bumper Winch and the cable-coils are still perfectly aligned because the Bumper Winch had never been used during the entire lifetime of the truck???

C. VX with or without Kilby's. Yes; the VX never came with full belly-pan skidplates as an OEM factory option, but if it did then we'd still want it eventhough we may not ever use it.

Does the likelyhood exist that the Kilby's will never be used to their full potential during the lifetime of the VX??? Yes. However; by damned, like A/C and the Front Bumper Winch example above, I still want the Kilby's because it is available as an option to the VX!!! Let's say you see two(2) identical same-colored VX's with exact same mileage on a Dealership Sales lot that the only differance being is that one VX has the Kilby's and the other VX does not. Chances are great that you'll purchase the VX that had the Kilby's, rather than the VX that did not. 'Nuff said.

Last edited by Riff Raff : 11/05/2011 at 07:46 PM Reason: To correct spelling "typo's".

On other side, they could also de-value the VX in the buyers mind. Someone who would spend that kind of coin on a non factory mod would probably have done so for a reason...how hard was this VX really used?

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    I am somewhat amazed, but very happy to hear
    that some testing seems to show that the heat issue...

...is a non issue

I think Billy summed it up..something in-between the Trooper bare bones approach
    ( which does seem to work perfectly well when lifted) and the full Kilby sheathing would be the ideal set up.

And yes Sue, I think your standard ride height probably benefits from the full coverage ,
    however other non lifted VX's ( Mr G !!) do gnarly trails without ...

In most cases,I would spend the money on a lift FIRST .

Of course a good spotter helps more than anything!

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    BTW Sue...thanks for posting those pics !!

I am now more convinced than ever that I need to get longer rear trailing arms.
    The back tire in both shots looks like its trying to jump into the front seats....

jo

People's tolerance for trail damage varies...some shrug and move on, others can't stand dings to their baby. For the latter crowd, these skids are recommended.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    however other non lifted VX's ( Mr G !!) do gnarly trails without ...

In most cases,I would spend the money on a lift FIRST .

Of course a good spotter helps more than anything!

jo
    That and the liberal application of many straps, & the cumulative piling of what must be by now, literally TONS of rocks...

LMAO!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    That and the liberal application of many straps, & the cumulative piling of what must be by now, literally TONS of rocks...
    ..no kidding!!!

jo

I might be interested in these (with the powder-coating), depending on price and date available.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    VX with or without Kilby's. Yes; the VX never came with full belly-pan skidplates as an OEM factory option, but if it did then we'd still want it eventhough we may not ever use it.
    'Splain to me why you would want to carry around 300lbs of steel that will never be used!!!

I'm not 'dissing' the Kilby's. They are a great product ... for the right application ... but not for re-sale value. Just trying to figure out your logic. Why should 40lbs of unsprung weight be avoided at all cost but that much sprung weight is OK?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    'Splain to me why you would want to carry around 300lbs of steel that will never be used!!!

I'm not 'dissing' the Kilby's. They are a great product ... for the right application ... but not for re-sale value. Just trying to figure out your logic. Why should 40lbs of unsprung weight be avoided at all cost but that much sprung weight is OK?
    You should now be expecting a treatise on rotational mass/inertia/braking ability/bearing loads/overworked suspension components(shocks esp).....

You're a fine one to talk. Aren't you carrying around 300lbs of zombie & skull sh......tuff on yours.

Wait - let me help you out -

Talking

You're a fine one to talk. Aren't you carrying around 300lbs of zombie & skull sh......tuff on yours.

Wait - let me help you out -
    Wasn't disagreeing with you, just telling you what's likely coming next...

And they're called "tools & spares"...not zombie sh...tuff...

And I hadn't used the word "treatise" in a long while...

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Also the front skid plate acts as a water/mud shield to protect your alternator through water crossings.
    This seems like this belongs in one of my threads, the Kilbys are a 300lb alternator protector required with the snorkel kit

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    This seems like this belongs in one of my threads, the Kilbys are a 300lb alternator protector required with the snorkel kit
    and hey, it's only 150 lbs...not 300!......makes it much better, dontcha think?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.