Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rim / Tire / Offset comparison

Question Rim / Tire / Offset comparison

I gave up on the American Racing Chambers for now so I was comparing 2 other rims. Since Iv'e had many headaches about rim combinations and how much the offset will cause the tire to stick out I have made an excel chart comparing dimensions ( I know they are slightly off in some regard, but only by 0.1" because of no way to input tire sizes such as 35x12.50r18 on "http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp", had to go with closest approx. of 315/70 r18 instead ). I want to check what you all think. Do you think the chart is fairly accurate? Chime in, let me know. If it proves good it will be easier to calculate how much a tire will stick out compared to another. Thanks.

Edited 10/17/2011 - 3:03PM STD Eastern time

Size of tires compared:
    stock = 245/60R18
    On the ProComp = 35x12.5R18
    On the KMC XD = 35x12.5R18
    Little Beasts = 33x12.5R18 ( ooops, I meant R20, thanks LDub. But if you see my excel, it lists 20, so the comp is good )

35x12.5R18 is the tire im looking to get wheels for ( thats why Im comparing the ProComps and the KMC XDs )
    Last edited by espidus : 10/07/2011 at 11:54 AM Reason: missing info

You asked, so here's what I think..........I think you've set the bar a bit too high with your choice of wheels & tires to obtain 35" O.D. for the compact VX which has extremely cramped front wheel-well cavities. Sure L-Dub, Little Beast, JoFoToz have been successful in that regard, but it took them countless modification efforts, untold hours of hard work, tons of money, and they had to overcome many headaches just to have them fit on in a straight line, much less be able to turn left and right.

For the easiest possible fitting 35" O.D. set-up, you should use the 2000/2001 OEM 18x7 Stock Rim (either standard chrome OR have it powder-coated Black, etc) that has the correct factory offset/backspacing advantage of the OEM stock wheel and use the specific tire size of 285/75R18 (35" O.D.) (aka 35x11.50-18). This specific Wheel/Tire combo will give you the 35" O.D. you're looking for without all of the future headaches of installation.

There are four(4) tires made in the 285/75R18 (35" O.D.) size, they are:

A. Toyo - A/T
    B. Toyo - M/T
    C. Maxxis - "BigHorn"
    D. G/Y - M/T-R with Kevlar

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Question

Quote Originally Posted by espidus View Post
    I gave up on the American Racing Chambers for now so I was comparing 2 other rims. Since Iv'e had many headaches about rim combinations and how much the offset will cause the tire to stick out I have made an excel chart comparing dimensions ( I know they are slightly off in some regard, but only by 0.1" because of no way to input tire sizes such as 35x12.50r18 on "http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp", had to go with closest approx. of 315/70 r18 instead ). I want to check what you all think. Do you think the chart is fairly accurate? Chime in, let me know. If it proves good it will be easier to calculate how much a tire will stick out compared to another. Thanks.

Size of tires compared:
    stock = 245/60R18
    On the ProComp = 35x12.5R18
    On the KMC XD = 35x12.5R18
    Little Beasts = 33x12.5R18

35x12.5R18 is the tire im looking to get wheels for ( thats why Im comparing the ProComps and the KMC XDs )
    Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    You asked, so here's what I think..........I think you've set the bar a bit too high with your choice of wheels & tires to obtain 35" O.D. for the compact VX which has extremely cramped front wheel-well cavities. Sure L-Dub, Little Beast, JoFoToz have been successful in that regard, but it took them countless modification efforts, untold hours of hard work, tons of money, and they had to overcome many headaches just to have them fit on in a straight line, much less be able to turn left and right.

For the easiest possible fitting 35" O.D. set-up, you should use the 2000/2001 OEM 18x7 Stock Rim (either standard chrome OR have it powder-coated Black, etc) that has the correct factory offset/backspacing advantage of the OEM stock wheel and use the specific tire size of 285/75R18 (35" O.D.) (aka 35x11.50-18). This specific Wheel/Tire combo will give you the 35" O.D. you're looking for without all of the future headaches of installation.

There are four(4) tires made in the 285/75R18 (35" O.D.) size, they are:

A. Toyo - A/T
    B. Toyo - M/T
    C. Maxxis - "BigHorn"
    D. G/Y - M/T-R with Kevlar

IMO, neither of you can reed 2 gud...

Little Beast rolls on 33 x 12.50 x 20"...

And how exactly do you know how much my mods co$t Riff?...

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    What the .....

Sure L-Dub, Little Beast, JoFoToz have been successful in that regard, but it took them countless modification efforts, untold hours of hard work, tons of money, and they had to overcome many headaches just to have them fit on in a straight line, much less be able to turn left and right.:

You are sooooo wrong (in my case at the very least)...

And frankly...how dare you pontificate from such a woefully oblivious stance..Yea ..there ya go

...I am speechless!

Well..Ok..not quite!

$400..... for a good used set of Mud Grappler 35's
    $240......for a set of 4 fake beadlocks ( already had 'em )
    $125......for two 913 OME coil springs ( already had 'em )
    $50 .......for two 2 inch coil spacers.
    $00........for alignment ( I have a lifetime alignment contract)

$815..Total.

A few more cranks on the torsion bars..
    About an hour with a box cutter and sawsall to trim to fit.

Drive..do tight circles....back up..go forth..
    ...20 mins re-trim.

Say 3 hrs with tire fit and alignment.

Bobs yer uncle.

So pray tell Ruff Raff...

Where on earth do you get off on this...

but it took them countless modification efforts, untold hours of hard work, tons of money, and they had to overcome many headaches just to have them fit on in a straight line, much less be able to turn left and right

Sheeesh!
    Last edited by JoFotoz : 10/06/2011 at 07:38 PM
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LOL...............

neeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr mmmmmiiiiiiinnnnnnndddddddd.

Just the same..........................

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Cheers Ruff Raff.....

LOL...............

neeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr mmmmmiiiiiiinnnnnnndddddddd.

Just the same..........................

...it really aint the angst and $$$'s and gnashing of teeth that you described!

atb

jo

Well Riff Raff, that's why Iv'e been following Little Beast to see what he's doing. I'm getting a 3" body lift from Indy4x and yes I already got quotes on the labor from 3 places.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    IMO, neither of you can reed 2 gud...

Little Beast rolls on 33 x 12.50 x 20"...

And how exactly do you know how much my mods co$t Riff?...
    See my edit on first post.

BOARZHEAD (Jay) just recently did a 3" body lift and some monster 37x12 18s meats. Maybe he can give you some tips, as he's always really helpful.

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Thumbs up

37"s ...nice.

I will definately PM him. Thanks.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by espidus View Post
    I'm getting a 3" body lift from Indy4x and yes I already got quotes on the labor from 3 places.
    You can install the body lift yourself pretty easily but you'll still need a little suspension lift to fit 35s or possibly a lot of cutting out of the front wheel wells. Either way you can do it without much difficulty. I'll have that body lift write up soon if you decide to install yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    BOARZHEAD (Jay) just recently did a 3" body lift and some monster 37x12 18s meats. Maybe he can give you some tips, as he's always really helpful.
    VXorado. Your setup ain't too shabby itself...

see my questions on other thread....

Thank you.

My VX as it is now for reference.

Will post more pics after body lift.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Nice looking proton! I don't think there has been a Proton with 35s...yet.

Here's the pic you requested, the tread sticks out beyond the cladding about 1.5". I would like to bring the wheels in more with positive offset at some point but I like my steelies & can't find exact replacements in different offset. I like the postition of the tires now but I'm afraid I'll get pulled over someday after my tires fling a rock into a windshield.

I'm going for a similar setup to VXorado with mine, although I've got a 4" suspension lift and no body lift (lots o' cutting!) on my rig thanks to the previous owner. Planning on getting some 15X8 steelies, theses ones to be exact:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Cragar/260/342-5860P/10002/-1

They are a +6 offset instead of the -12 that VXorado is running, so by my math they should stick out some (which I like the look of) but about half what his do, so about .75" outside the wheel wells.

Then I'm putting some 35/12.5/15 GY MTR's on. For the price of 15" tires compared to 18" tires for the stock wheels, its cheaper to buy new wheels and tires than to buy just the tires for my 18's that would need to be powdercoated anyway.