Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rim / Tire / Offset comparison

Question

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado
    Nice

You'll lose a 12mm inner clearance because of the rim width. Let us know how they fit in the front and don't forget to take some pics.
    Uh-oh... what am I in for? I'm prepared to Dremel the cladding as much as needed, and bash the living daylights out of the front wheel well to make some extra room - but will there be any pesky mechanical issues like oh, you know - brake and steering interference?

-V
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    Uh-oh... what am I in for? I'm prepared to Dremel the cladding as much as needed, and bash the living daylights out of the front wheel well to make some extra room - but will there be any pesky mechanical issues like oh, you know - brake and steering interference?

-V
    I wouldn't worry too much, 12mm is only .47". Worse case scenario is you'll need to adjust the steering stops out a little so you don't rub on the sway bar or something. I doubt a half inch will give you much trouble, just make sure to check the steering locked positions after they're mounted.

Thanks VXorado. Now I can sleep tonight.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wink

Now I can sleep tonight.
    Well...you COULD...if there weren't about 13 OTHER things to worry about...

I'm a little busy tonight, what with this being "bourbon night" @ Ldubs tiki bar & grill...

So I'll list the other stuff you should be aware of tomorrow some time...

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    WOW djvx...

I must have done mine ALL wrong.
    It took me about an hour of research here..
    About three hours of labor and waiting for alignment...
    And under $1000.

Thanks for the heads up on whats really involved

I'll set aside hours and hours this weekend, check my #$$ for thousands of bucks...

...and do it right this time

jo

When I modded my rig I decided on old man emu's. I bought some General Grabbers, spent alot of time researching, but it went pretty smooth for me. Cost was a little over $1200 with alignment and a full size spare and an extra stock 18" rim. Minor clad cuts, and torsion cranks, the usual easy stuff.I think it takes an average vx'er more than 1 hour to decide on tires and wheels and do all the research. But doing basic mods like tires, rims isn't what I was talking about.
    I've read alot of threads on Little Beast and several others who documented weeks of massive mods with pages and full threads devoted to the project. One was the vx'er with those kmc Rockstars, think he's from Utah or something, the list of parts he bought was like a page long, and it was thousands of dollars. Those are the projects I was talking about. Obviously what I opined about differs from your personal experience. Thanks for letting me know that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Milwaukee WI

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Ya..what you "opined" about was super generic..

...and, if not refuted would scare the $h*t outta those
    very happy to spend a w/end tinkering with their rides.

( No rental car..no bucks outta their #$$ )

There are levels...and one TRUTH is,

...lifting a VX is EASY.

I know it is...cause as a neophyte ......................

...I did two as a ( learning ) helper......
    ...and one, in 45 mins on my own.

My point wasnt to slam you, but to encourage others to TRY..
    ...rather than scare the $#it out of them.

Jo
    Last edited by JoFotoz : 01/27/2012 at 11:05 PM
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My lift took less than an hour also. We jacked up, we pushed down wheel, pulled out old spring, slid in new spring. Did same both sides. Didn't even remove wheels. I cranked torsion bars. I may actually be the all time record holder in the fastest vx lift ever.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    So..my question would be...

Quote Originally Posted by djvx View Post
    My lift took less than an hour also. We jacked up, we pushed down wheel, pulled out old spring, slid in new spring. Did same both sides. Didn't even remove wheels. I cranked torsion bars. I may actually be the all time record holder in the fastest vx lift ever.
    ...why all the angst about HOURS & HOURS and $$$$$$'s..
    ...and rental cars and etc ????

I must be missing s'thang!

jo
    Last edited by JoFotoz : 01/27/2012 at 11:55 PM

I think some people are so proud of how good their rides look that they don't want others copying them. Easier just to scare them away. Hahaha :-) ;-)

Oh and by the way any driveline vibrations after lift can be easily fixed by lengthening the lower links on the rear. With 2-3" of lift the links need to be 0.5-0.6" longer to correct pinion angle. This saves your u-joints and makes your VX's driveline as quiet as it was before lift. For 3-4" of lift the lower links need to be 0.6-0.75" longer. I can adjust mine ever since I bought the adjustable lower links from indy4x but this is not necessary. I am sure a driveline shop or professional welder can lengthen your lower links and get them exactly the same.

Once again speaking from experience these mods are not as hard or expensive as some make sound. The work is very rewarding as well, good luck :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    So..my question would be...

...why all the angst about HOURS & HOURS and $$$$$$'s..
    ...and rental cars and etc ????

I must be missing s'thang!

jo
    I did the simple kind of lift, not the $3000 one. I didn't do Ball joint flip, or the HD tie rods, and many of the major stuff so many vx'ers end up doing. I wasnt looking at 35's or 37'' tires. The OP could find himself with a severe case of the mods, and it can and does get out of control for some. Riff was advising him and I was agreeing with Riff

One of the "problems" is that the VX looks so damn good in so many lift/wheel/tire configurations, it's tough for certain individuals to pick a combination among them that feels "best." And then we start nuking it out and spending a ton of time on here scrutinizing pictures taken at angles we'll never see in the real world, PMing other members for guidance, calling friends for their opinions, pricing out products from 80 different vendors, adding them to shopping carts to find the best total prices ('cause we're not all gajillionairres)... you get the idea.

But hell, think of all the great threads and info that's been shared 'cause of these nut jobs... like me.

In the end, I went with"
    OME 913 and torsion bar crank for ~3" lift
    18x9 wheels with +25 offset
    285/65/18 tires

Just waiting to get them mounted! The body shop is taking their sweet time with the debadge and paint touch up.
    I agree

Well, 3" body lift from Indy4x installed. Will post pics soon. Have not thrown the 35"s on yet, but I have 'em. Need to trim the cladding first...

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by espidus View Post
    Well, 3" body lift from Indy4x installed. Will post pics soon. Have not thrown the 35"s on yet, but I have 'em. Need to trim the cladding first...
    Right on.

I've used the VX as my daily driver for the last 6 months with the 35s and everything has been great. I'm very happy I installed the body lift instead of having all suspension lift. I did end up getting the Cragar +6mm offset rims because I didn't like the look of the -12mm rims.

You should scoop up the 4.77 gears that are for sale. I still have the 4.30 gearing and the acceleration isn't too bad but definitely would be better with 4.77s.

Must save up for more mods, Id'e jump on the 4.77's if I had $$$ handy....

Here are some pics of the 3" BL w/o 35's on...

My big meat awaiting mounting...