Thread: VX Thoughts

Talking VX Thoughts

Spent some time puttering in the yard after work this afternoon and just stopped and reflected on the VX relationship while admiring the head-on view. Sometimes it's hard to believe I actually have a VX after that wonderful (but all too brief) test drive back in '99. Yep, the $35K sticker-shock kept me in a '95 Trooper Limited for a bit longer.

We went up to Atlanta just the other weekend for a friends wedding reception and I noticed some interesting things along the 500 mile drive up I-75. About every 45 minutes I would pass a Murano. About every hour or so I would see a Chrysler Crossfire heading the other way. We saw no less than 12 Porsche Cayennes.

The only VehiCROSS we saw was when we visited Johnnyapollo.

Now all those other vehicles are kinda neat, but there's just gobs of them. The only way to be unique is extreme customization, which means you're still painting on the same canvas available to the masses.

Not us. About 4,000 or less. Only 230 total for me. That's just cool. I'm one of only 230 Dragons, and I had the pleasure of meeting Gruven at a meet this year who owns the only other Dragon I've seen. It's just neat to be talking with other owners and enthusiasts and be able to speak about such things as actually having seen a Foxfire, the exclusivity of the VX just sets all apart.

I visited a friend in Tallahassee a few months back and while cruising to grab a bite he asked "Do you feel like everyone is looking at you?". I just said you get used to it, but it feels great when you notice.

I'm glad I bought an '84 Impulse that gave me over 160,000 trouble free miles and a good deal of enjoyment. I'm glad I've had three Troopers that gave me over 150,000 miles each with a zeal and eagerness to tackle whatever I put before them. Without those relationships I would have looked at the VehiCROSS with passing interest and continued to collect FIATs and Ghias, never knowing the joy of ending up like this...

Anyway, just thought I'd share a VX touchy-feely moment!
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Thanks Joe! That was some good reading...
    Chet - CBA_VX

Nice thoughts. I dropped my VX at the body shop today to get the fender fixed and I am going crazy...I already miss it.
    RichD
    ------------------------------------------------
    ...because vinyl just sounds better!

Bravo, Bravo!
    Nothing like coming home from a hard days work and reading something like this. I always look back and smile after getting out of my VX before walking away. I guess its like walking by someone you find attractive, don't you always turn around to see if that person is looking back at you?
    The Bantan's Relm
    Gallery
    Myspace Page
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things we care about."

Thumbs up

I was just talking to Rich (Analog) the other day about the constant urge to look over the VX as you walk to/away from it. This is an awesome machine, and Joe's post hits on another great part of ownership... we've got the VehiCROSS :, and what they've got (no matter how cool) is common!
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

Great thoughts! Everyday after work, I stop off at the local Starbucks and sip my mocha outside with other local Starbucks patrons. The chairs just outside offer a perfect site of my VX, which I always manage to park right up front.... Rockstar Parking. I sit and sip away, staring at my VX. I always look at it as though it's simply not mine. I know it is though, and it makes me smile inside. The usual gang all know it's mine and we sometimes sit and chat about it. They all trully love it. A new guy was there last night and watched as I pulled in. He stared at it from his seat as I walked in and got my coffee. I came out and sat down to start my nightly wind-down from work, VX staring splendor. I overheard him from the other tabel asking a friend of mine, Katie, just what "that thing is". She turned and looked at it and while staring at it herself, she said "It's Gary's. It's called an Isuzu VehiCROSS. it's REALLY cool and really fast. I went for a ride in it a few times. It is really cool."

Hearing that, I just smiled and sipped away at my coffee. I didn't need to say anything. Those that know me appreciate my VX as much as I, and they can fill in the blanks since they have already shown appreciation and interest, and stopped to ask questions and learn about it from me.

So, I know where yuo are coming from Joe black. I think "most" VX owners feel the same way. I wont say all, since I have seen 2 in particular around that the average shmuck owns and they are all beat up to hell. They don't appreciate it anymore than a welcome mat to wipe their shoes off on before entering the house.

Tis a shame. But, the few of us out there that feel the pride in our VX, we are the elite. It's funny, but in Fight Club, Tyler Durden states that "our possessions end up owning us". Ah yes, in the case of the VX.... this is absolutely true.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Being in Portland, there is always a Starbucks around for lounging. I park up in front of one of the five local 'bucks within a mile radius (around NE 47th and Fremont, if anyone is interested) whenever possible... and it gets looks, no doubt. Of course, the silver Lamborghini Diablo sometimes parked behind me, driven by a guy no older than 30, can sometimes steal the show (and my awes as well)!

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    Ive had my Ebony now for three years. I still love to wash and wax it myself and yes, everytime I walk away from it I always seem to look back for another look.

Lately I have had a lot of people stopping me asking about the truck. And many of those people have done some homework about the VX and know that they are very special and limited in number in the world. THere have been a few people who researched and know where the used ones for sale are. The common question is, "You like it?" and my answer is always, "Oh, yeah" with a broad smile.

When I go to the Ritz Carlton here in Pasadena, the valets run to help and park her right in front of the hotel next to the rolls, Hummers, Mercedes, and Jags. I kinda get a kick when a valet gets in the truck and guns it just to check out the power. They love the Power Vault muffler's sound and know every time I add a mod.

The valets have offered that if we have a Los Angeles meet we could go to the Ritz and they will park all the trucks right in the front - great photo opportunities!
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Alright I have to tell my little story from this weekend since I am so proud of my comeback! Well I was out on the Alaska "strip" and I pulled up to a light next to an old Honda Civic. There was a fugly girl in the passenger seat and as soon as I pulled up next to her she started staring at the VX. So not wanting to look at this girl I roll the window up almost the whole way. Then I heard her say "That is the ugliest thing I've ever seen!" I wasn't going to let this one slide so, I rolled the window back down and talked REALLY LOUD to my freind in the passenger seat "That has to be the ugliest girl I've ever seen!" the light turned green, I took off and rolled laughing for the rest of the night.

It's almost like someone calling my baby ugly! I can't let that happen! I wish I had a camera then, so I could have taken a picture of her astonished face flipping me off! She didn't think I could hear her.

As for looking back at my VX, everyday! I even park it where I can see it from my office. I don't have a window so I park where if I look through my boss's office at the neighboring building I can see it clear in the reflection. Also when I take a smoke break I normally just stare at it and wonder what to do next to it.
    Last edited by AlaskaVX : 09/30/2003 at 11:21 AM
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car

Talking

Originally posted by AlaskaVX
    I don't have a window so I park where if I look through my boss's office at the neighboring building I can see it clear in the reflection.

Now that's love...
    Last edited by Anita : 09/30/2003 at 11:37 AM

Yep...

... I park mine in clear view of the Security Guard booth. I can see my VX, but I am five floors up and a several hundred yard sprint away from my baby. Gated entry is a plus.

BTW Starbucks are popping up like weeds all over. Heck there was controversy over adding a fourth one just this past summer. It is okay to have one at every corner, I mean you can't have caffiene crazed zombies negotiation traffic but so long in the morning

Poor lady lost her private enterprise snow cone shack to Starbucks, the fourth. She had nice cones too
    NAVIGATOR