Thread: Front Axles Replace or Boots?

Front Axles Replace or Boots?

The front axles both have the boots ripped completely around (like now there are 2 parts to each boot). Do I need to have each front axle replace, or just the boots...? Have any idea how much it costs to have front axles replaced? It's not something I know how to do or have the equipment to do on my own...

Its really not that hard and can be done in under 4 hours. If you hane a descent set of basic tools you should be good to go. I have a how to on here that explains the boot replacement process. As long as you don't run around to much and the cv's are not making any noise re booting shoild be all you need.
    As a reference my local Isuzu dealer wanted $1800 to replace both cv shafts. If new shafts are needed the Empi's can be bought for about $75 each. Mine have held up well.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

As long as you have not been running with torn boots for a really long time, and they do not make any noise or anything you should be fine. The only way to REALLY know though is to pull the CVs, clean them up and inspect the balls and cage.

Like Billy said, the job is not that hard, but for someone not mechanically inclined it might seem overwhelming and messy. You do need some tools to do the job and for a first timer, it will take you a while.

All that said, if I was you, I would go to your local Napa or whatever and buy a set of inner and outer boots. Then, call around to your local shops and just tell them you need your CV axles cleaned up, regreased and rebooted and see what they charge. Provide them with the new boots and that should be all you need to do.

I just did mine, here is a link to my thread with some good pics so you know what you are looking at/talking about.

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=21040

Bart

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    ^^^what they said.

The important thing is doing it quickly, the front axle will have to be dropped if the inner green cup gets worn with dirt & the lack of grease. Once that happens you need to have the inners rebuilt or search endlessly for a driverside jack shaft. There isn't an aftermarket jack shaft for the left side so options for replacement can only come from a VX or similar isuzu. Finding a compatibile junkyard isuzu is fairly easy but pulling the jack shaft at a junkyard is nearly impossible without help.

Here is a pic from Barts link of the longer jack shaft:

Yeah, all I did is pull my front axle apart, clean everything, and replace.

Something I forgot to mention, is that you should at very least buy new wheel bearing seals. If you haven't had your bearings repacked, this would be a good time to do that and replace the bearing seals. You can also replace the knuckle seal while you are at it, but that seal can typically be wiped off and reused if it is in good shape.

You do not need to drop the whole front axle to change just the boots. The half shafts can be removed and cleaned also without dropping the front axle. You or you mech will just have to pull apart the entire hub/knuckle and the brakes so you can get in there and clean out the inner cup.

I have now done this on my VX and on my Trooper twice. It is a messy job, but it is really not that hard if you have garage, a weekend, the parts and the tools ready.

Bart

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    You do not need to drop the whole front axle to change just the boots. The half shafts can be removed and cleaned also without dropping the front axle. You or you mech will just have to pull apart the entire hub/knuckle and the brakes so you can get in there and clean out the inner cup.
    Bart
    I agree, with one exception.

You don't need to disassemble the hubs/bearings, just the 6 allen head bolts & the outer drive flange, then the outer snap ring, & pull the half shaft out of the front hub.

This is, of course, after unbolting the lower ball joint & pulling the inner knuckle out of the green cup...

FWIW, it is FAR easier to grease & reboot the outer half shafts in a vice, rather than in place under the truck, & only entails the removal of the 6 allen bolts & the snap ring to get to that point.
    You can get all but one band in place with this method, while standing at your work bench, then pack the green cup with grease, pre grease the inner knuckle, & smoosh it in there, adding a bit more grease before applying the final inner (green cup) band.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    I have a how to on here that explains the boot replacement process.
    I believe this to be Billys how to...

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...warticle&id=48