Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My rear view camera

My rear view camera

I did this back in the summer and didn't take pictures of the process, but took a few this morning. Just thought I'd share. I believe the kit my wife got off ebay was about 150 bucks. Not bad I don't think.

This pic shows how the screen hangs on top of the factory mirror. It's held on by two tie wraps and also has tabs on top and bottom to help locate it properly.

This pic shows the camera in the stock location. It's hardly noticeable.

Nice, very similar to mine, I ran two cameras, one point down, the other as my rear view. How did you fit anything in that OEMspot. I couldn't even fit tools in there...maybe I missed something, that was almost two years ago.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Marlin - take a look here:

JDM VX Halfmoon Install

Looks like a decent amount of room in there, obviously Isuzu (and other members) fit a camera in there. Was the one you got off eBay too big?

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Marlin - take a look here:

JDM VX Halfmoon Install

Looks like a decent amount of room in there, obviously Isuzu (and other members) fit a camera in there. Was the one you got off eBay too big?
    I couldn't figure out to get it off, of course that was one of my first projects, and a moot point now that I have the spare on the door

The half moon was easy to remove. Once I got it off, I made the hole and attached the camera hardware. Then I put the moon back in place and put the camera in. No problem.

Was it just clipped on? I don't remember seeing any screws or anything?

Maybe it's just the pic, but it looks huge. Is it a distraction to drive with?
    '01 Kaiser SC'ed VX #0867

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...138/ppuser/456
    http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...137/ppuser/456

I won't take credit for this as the PO did it (Medman). You lose the airducts, but it eliminates the need for the rearview mirror. It displays the backup camera, (or DVD), and I really like the extra windshield space, and the mirror was pretty much useless anyway.

So do you just leave the backup camera on all the time while driving? I assume the monitor has an audio display and maybe even nav/DVD, do you have to switch back and forth or do you have some kind of PIP capability?

Btw, how does the CF wrap on the dash match the door panels? I keep seeing those kits advertised on eBay but I'm a little concerned about having clashing trim.

To be honest, I haven't played with it enough to give you an accurate answer. I do know that I like not having the rear view mirror in the way. I've also got to check into aiming the camera, as it displays too much of the ground just directly behind the car, rather than aimed to show a reasonable distance. Usually those center vents are the only ones for air to reach the rear seats, so it may be more uncomfortable for rear seat occupants during temperature extremes.

When I was looking at pictures of my vehicle before I bought it, I thought I wouldn't care for the CF dash. While it is considerably lighter than the door panels, it looks much better in person as opposed to pictures. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by RallyDude View Post
    Usually those center vents are the only ones for air to reach the rear seats, so it may be more uncomfortable for rear seat occupants during temperature extremes.
    I wonder how do-able it would be to extend those air vent ducts under the center console and mount them on the back of the center console (where the rear ashtray is)? Seems like a very cool (no pun intended) mod.

Quote Originally Posted by RallyDude View Post
    Maybe it's just the pic, but it looks huge. Is it a distraction to drive with?
    The mirror/display I have is quite large. If you look at the side detail pic you can see how the support bar is angled more or less parallel with the windshield. All I did was push it straight up as far as it would swing. The top of the display almost touches the headliner. The bottom of it is probably about the same location as the stock mirror. I've gotten used to it being there so it's not a big deal to me. I see under it just fine.

As far as functionality, I actually just leave the display turned off most of the time. If I'm manuvering in a tight parking lot or my driveway or backing up to my trailer I'll turn it on with the remote, but normally I can see enough through the reflection and the two side mirrors that it doesn't bother me.

There is a second input that I've been tempted to use for a portable DVD player or maybe even an in-dash non display unit, but there's no logic in doing that right now... In other words, I don't have money to blow on silly stuff at the moment or I would have already done it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Was it just clipped on? I don't remember seeing any screws or anything?
    There are two sheet metal tabs that slide behind some platic ummm, tower thingys that are part of the half moon. That Japanese site shows it pretty well a page or two in to the CF half moon replacement. Once those two tabs are pulled, the only thing holding it is two-sided tape. Peel and stick.

So for everyone that has done the rear view camera install what would be a good option for the VX stock camera position? Thanks :-)

I bought a license plate frame that has a camera in it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!