Thread: Anyone know where to get HID replacement bulbs?

Anyone know where to get HID replacement bulbs?

Eight, or so, years ago, I got the Brightstar HID kit, like the ones Tone used to sell.
    The bulbs finally burned out. Anyone know where to get replacements?
    Thanks in advance for any info.

not sure if they will fit, but Joesph at http://www.xenonrider.com/ has been a friend and everyone I think has been happy with his product and service.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

I just went to Napa and they had them in stock.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Just type H-4 HID bulb into an ebay or amazon search & take your pick...

I wasn't sure about compatibility with the ballasts.
    I had single xenon bulbs, but I also have an extra set of "standard" wiring harnesses which I believe are for the dual Hi/Lo bulbs. So I think I could upgrade to the dual beam bulbs by swapping out the wiring harness. Anyone know for sure? I'll also contact Joseph.
    Thanks again.

You can find almost anything on Ebay.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by UtahVXer View Post
    I wasn't sure about compatibility with the ballasts.
    I had single xenon bulbs, but I also have an extra set of "standard" wiring harnesses which I believe are for the dual Hi/Lo bulbs. So I think I could upgrade to the dual beam bulbs by swapping out the wiring harness. Anyone know for sure? I'll also contact Joseph.
    Thanks again.
    If you have the single beams, with the halogen bulb piggybacked on to the xenon bulb, then in theory, the dual beam should work with what you have. The power sent to fire the halogen hi beam on the single beam xenon, is the same power that controls the solenoid that shifts the bulbs position in the hi-lo kits.
    It would be a good idea to verify this with Joseph or someone who is better versed in automotive electronics than I am, but that's my understanding of how they operate.
    Also, I've ordered replacement bulbs from ebay before, they didn't have the same connections as my old bulbs, but it was a simple cut & splice to fix that...

HID upgrade illegal?

I was searching the site looking for an HID kit as I'm interested in upgrading the VX. I stumbled upon the following article on HID upgrade kits which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement:

Daniel Stern Lighting

Has anyone here even heard of anyone being cited for an "illegal" HID conversion, or heard of any problems whatsoever caused by these kits?

In any case, I found the article interesting, though I'm not sure how neutral it is, nor that it dissuades me from going forward with the conversion. I did want to run it by you fine folks to see what you all thought about the topic.

Thanks.

Daniel Stern has been very vocal about his low opinion of the optics of all sorts of lighting upgrades. He has posted all over the Internet for years.

Much of what he says makes sense but I have no idea how valid it is.

V-LEDs they are the best

From what I understand, and this may be true or a complete rumor, if HID's didn't come on your car from the factory, then it is illegal to upgrade to them. I read this on the XenonRider website (where I got my HID kit):

Are Xenon HID light systems street legal?

Every country and jurisdiction has its own rules and regulations governing the use of automotive lighting. Xenon HID lighting systems that are supplied with the vehicles from the factory are DOT approved. The same OEM manufacturers that supply all the major car companies of the world also make our kits. NO AFTERMARKET XENON HID lighting system from any source is DOT approved if installed outside of the factory. These kits are not street legal for use on public roads as they are. As a result, we officially endorse the kit for exhibition and off-road use and will only sell the kit to be used for these purposes. We are not responsible for customers who violate the terms of sale in which they will assume all responsibilities for any unauthorized or unintended use other than exhibition or off-road use.

I have no idea why this is the case. In know my HID's are bright as heck, and I nearly get blinded by the reflection coming back off of highway signs. I've had my HID's for a couple of years now, and have never been pulled over or hassled in any way about them (other than oncoming drivers flashing their high beams at me). Heck, the VX is so rare, how would anyone know that HID's didn't come on it from the factory?
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I was searching the site looking for an HID kit as I'm interested in upgrading the VX. I stumbled upon the following article on HID upgrade kits which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement:

Daniel Stern Lighting

Has anyone here even heard of anyone being cited for an "illegal" HID conversion, or heard of any problems whatsoever caused by these kits?

In any case, I found the article interesting, though I'm not sure how neutral it is, nor that it dissuades me from going forward with the conversion. I did want to run it by you fine folks to see what you all thought about the topic.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
    Daniel Stern has been very vocal about his low opinion of the optics of all sorts of lighting upgrades. He has posted all over the Internet for years.

Much of what he says makes sense but I have no idea how valid it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    From what I understand, and this may be true or a complete rumor, if HID's didn't come on your car from the factory, then it is illegal to upgrade to them. I read this on the XenonRider website (where I got my HID kit):
    FWIW...

Most of those on the forum, including a few members (who shall remain nameless) of the law enforcement community, who are using retro-fit HID kits, know they're a little bit outside the law.

You might as well face it, if you're willing to run with this group, you're in with a bad crowd of known pirates, scofflaws, hoodlums, hooligans, delinquents, outlaws, scallywags, miscreants & no goodniks.

You'll get used to it...

Daniel Stern's critiques are not generally that they are illegal but they they do not deliver improved vsibility and may in fact be dangerous by impairing the vision of oncoming drivers.

I'm sure you guys have seen HID's behind the older fogged glass headlights. I put a set in my old Escape and took them out after a while. The beam was spread all over the place and was blinding to oncoming traffic. I hate when I come up on a retro-fit like that at night.
    The VX has projector style lights with clear lenses vs the older style mentioned above. The light output from HID reflects differently than the light output from a halogen bulb. That's why there is so much scatter from an HID in an older style headlight assembly.
    They aren't too bad in the VX and if you aim them properly, you'll be no less offensive than the average Lexus or BMW etc.

Quote Originally Posted by samneil2000 View Post
    I'm sure you guys have seen HID's behind the older fogged glass headlights. I put a set in my old Escape and took them out after a while. The beam was spread all over the place and was blinding to oncoming traffic. I hate when I come up on a retro-fit like that at night.
    The VX has projector style lights with clear lenses vs the older style mentioned above. The light output from HID reflects differently than the light output from a halogen bulb. That's why there is so much scatter from an HID in an older style headlight assembly.
    They aren't too bad in the VX and if you aim them properly, you'll be no less offensive than the average Lexus or BMW etc.
    Yes and YES!!!! :-) or just go Projector HID all the way ;-)