Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is the vx a reliable daily driver?

I can't believe any of you 6 foot 6 guys can fit. I'm 5-10 and have to tilt my head neck and shoulders down in one smooth move while I enter the drivers seat. You guys must crawl in.
    and as far as daily driver it all depends on the individual car. any car can be bad or good.

my wifes 6.0 escalade gets better gas mileage

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    I have looked at both of these and I would not even consider the second one (99 Black in Castle Rock where I live). I has lots of rust and some other issues as well. This same place has a 2001 Kaiser that looks much better in the ad but I have not seen that one in person.

The Kaiser at Sharpest Rides was in good shape. It has the back interior plastic cut out under the cubby for the lug wrench. Not sure why anyone would cut that out, but it is just a big hole that goes all the way to the body panel. The windows bind on the VX passenger side. It sounds good and has a new windshield. The hood insert and hood are cut out for the scoop so you have to be okay with that. I would say it's worth about $7K.

Good luck with your search.
    So I went and looked at the Kaiser today. It's rough as well. Major paint fading on the roof, hood has been "rolled" down like a small front impact, and a pretty good dent on the passenger side door frame above the middle of the window. Cladding is very faded and someone has "keyed" the driver side door and did a really good job...

Interior looked to be in good shape from what I could see looking into the windows and the badges were in good shape. Half-moon cladding has the "camera" space knocked out, but no camera is mounted there and it is missing some of the cladding screws. Don't know how it might run since they were closed today.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

I didnt get all that KAT....what was that again???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

Quote Originally Posted by don moore View Post
    I didnt get all that KAT....what was that again???
    funny man!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by deermagnet View Post
    I'm still in the process of evaluating the VX as a daily driver. So far I'm 11 years, 5 months, 11 days and 254,000 miles into my evaluation with no complaints. I'll let ya know when I get some conclusive results.

Mark Griffin (a VX lifer)
    Yeah ! i gonna have a cup of coffee,sit & wait .........long wait
    Dakar was just the begining.

Wow guys! You all rock! Thanks for all the info! The guy who was supposed to be buying my truck no showed me this weekend so I guess I have to keep waiting until that sells (unless one of you all are looking for a good truck? Haha.) Hopefully i will be able to find one of these once the truck is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by adsero View Post
    Hello all! I have three vx's for sale in my area and think they are really interesting vehicles. Assuming i fit in one (6'5") my only other concern is how is the reliability? From what I've read they seem like decent enough vehicles but I wanted word from the people who own them! So any input you have for me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time and input!

Jeff
    Dont buy one if you dont like banging the heck out of your head getting in and out every day, especially at 6'5. You'll hate the gas mileage....and the oil mileage. You'll not like needing a key to open the tailgate nor will you like the fact there is no rear dome light. The suspension is extremely rough and hard. You'll get stuck trying to get into the backseat so don't ever plan on going back there or putting passengers back there. You'll have a hard time finding Isuzu parts as they've stopped all vehicle imports except industrial trucks. If you have an obsessive personality you will become highly addicted to it. If all these things don't sway you away then yes, buy one. You will get beyond all these quirks (and a few more) in due time. I promise. I love mine and it's the best vehicle purchase I've ever made.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Milwaukee WI

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    So I went and looked at the Kaiser today. It's rough as well. Major paint fading on the roof, hood has been "rolled" down like a small front impact, and a pretty good dent on the passenger side door frame above the middle of the window. Cladding is very faded and someone has "keyed" the driver side door and did a really good job...

Interior looked to be in good shape from what I could see looking into the windows and the badges were in good shape. Half-moon cladding has the "camera" space knocked out, but no camera is mounted there and it is missing some of the cladding screws. Don't know how it might run since they were closed today.
    So THAT's what that little plastic rectangle removable but unreinsertable piece is for.

Quote Originally Posted by djvx View Post
    Dont buy one if you dont like banging the heck out of your head getting in and out every day, especially at 6'5. You'll hate the gas mileage....and the oil mileage. You'll not like needing a key to open the tailgate nor will you like the fact there is no rear dome light. The suspension is extremely rough and hard. You'll get stuck trying to get into the backseat so don't ever plan on going back there or putting passengers back there. You'll have a hard time finding Isuzu parts as they've stopped all vehicle imports except industrial trucks. If you have an obsessive personality you will become highly addicted to it. If all these things don't sway you away then yes, buy one. You will get beyond all these quirks (and a few more) in due time. I promise. I love mine and it's the best vehicle purchase I've ever made.
    *Like*

Well, i havent had to pay for (regular unleaded) gas in two years so gas mileage doesnt factor. What does factor is how often will it have to be down for repairs. I am happy to do the work or pay for it to be done but frequency is the key right now. It sounds like a person who watches their car closely would be fine though.

I would say that more of us use them as daily drivers than don't. I WISH I had the money to get a daily driver and let the VX be the garage queen that I want her to be. With that said, I bought Vicki (my VX) five or six years ago (can't remember) with 35,000 miles on her, and have used her as a daily driver ever since. She now has 112,000 miles on her and has never given me a problem. I check the oil religiously at every fill up and always have to add some; usually 1/2 to 3/4 quart - she's a thirsty girl. I usually do preventative maintenance to avoid anything going wonky, but other than that she has never left me stranded.

I say go for it.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    She now has 112,000 miles on her and has never given me a problem.
    Well Vicky still looks like she still has 35,000 miles which is impressive since you do drive her everyday in mountains.

Looks like my VX will be a DD soon too. I will be selling my big comfy Tundra next month and hold off on buying a replacement until late next spring. This is all part of operation "save up to buy a house."

I have full confidence in the VX for the Winter.... even with 35" tires.

So...anyone wanna buy my silverado? I really want a vehicross! Just gotta sell the truck first.

I've been driving mine daily since 2001 (bought it new) - currently at 148K miles. It's the best truck I've ever owned - probably the best vehicle I've every owned. It's never broken down on me but has surprised me on occasion. Just about every problem I've had with it has been self-inflicted (usually the result of a mod) with the exception of the ABS unit going out and fragile speed-sensors on the TOD unit (replaced both myself). It is starting to leak some fluids but that can be fixed (just haven't gotten around to it - too easy to just top everything up periodically). Recently I've blown the last of the original speakers (cone material dry-rot probably) - they still work just horribly. As long as you don't carry more than one passenger except on occasion (or your extras are kids small enough to maneuver to the back seat) you can get around all the other quirks. The benefits of ownership far outweigh the inconveniences. JMHO.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"