Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Wheeling, Ghost town, stuck in the mud

Gorgeous pics. Whenever I have been wheeling up in the mountains and I see ominous looking clouds like that, it always makes my balls shrivel a bit. You never know in the mountains what can happen if the weather shifts!!!

Sounds like a crazy story for sure. I'll be in Denver at the end of the month, hopefully I will have Sunday off to screw around.

Bart

I'm guessing you took 285 to Guenella Pass then took a left into the campground and went up there? Also, looks a bit like Red Cone, Wheeler Pass area.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by MeowMix View Post
    If only University of Colorado Denver took Western Undergraduate Exchange students, I'd be right there with you...already looked into it, no deal.
    What about the main campus, CU Boulder? Thats where I went for my undergrad and its an awesome campus only 20 minutes from downtown Denver.

... or you can look into Denver University?

...or Colorado State University in Fort Collins? Although its the worst school in Colorado and possibly the world

Great pics Jack - awesome beauty! So then... I see no trail going into the mud, what gives?

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    ...or Colorado State University in Fort Collins? Although its the worst school in Colorado and possibly the world
    Hey, now. Dem's fightin' words. We have better riots than yours, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by mdwyer View Post
    Hey, now. Dem's fightin' words. We have better riots than yours, at least.
    Tu' Che

Argentine Pass?

That looks like Argentine (hence the gold mines). I did that in my 2002 4Runner and my buddy in his Grand Cherokee (his magic awd was not as good as my locked center diff...go go gadget tow strap!).

It was much drier when I did it though. I can't wait to get the VX up there. Heading in to the mountains this weekend, up near Green Mountain Res near Heeney.

Near the summit (also happens to be right on the Continental Divide)

Hiking back down from the summit (4Runner and Jeep are the specks in the middle of the frame)

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    If only University of Colorado Denver took Western Undergraduate Exchange students, I'd be right there with you...already looked into it, no deal.
    you definately need to look into some other schools here, there are some really great ones. Whats your area of study?

Quote Originally Posted by RabidPony View Post
    Nice pics. Looks like it was a beautiful trip, minus the mud. Also, good looking corgi. . Best breed of dog ever.
    thanks! she's a smart little crap.

she definately is very independent and stubborn all at once, but we love her

Quote Originally Posted by samneil2000 View Post
    If only you had had a VX you might not have gotten stuck :P
    Just kidding. Glad you guys made it out safe. Now buy a winch, and some MT tires.
    i dont think it was the issue of the tires, unfortunately. We bent the hitch on the red jeep trying to pull me out.

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post

Sounds like a crazy story for sure. I'll be in Denver at the end of the month, hopefully I will have Sunday off to screw around.

Bart
    Bart, call us up. I'd be happy to at least grab some dinner or something. 7two, oh - 2 seven three - 10 nine nine.

Quote Originally Posted by crager34 View Post
    I'm guessing you took 285 to Guenella Pass then took a left into the campground and went up there? Also, looks a bit like Red Cone, Wheeler Pass area.
    Good memory Darren. Your VERY close. it was off of guenella pass, but it wasnt red cone, it was argentine pass.

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    easy there Jon. a comment like that could buy you less wheeling time.....

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Great pics Jack - awesome beauty! So then... I see no trail going into the mud, what gives?
    where we got stuck? the entrance is back to the right in the picture.
    My buddy in the white cherokee went in, and instead of turning around at the back of the pit, and coming out, he decided to turn out of the side. thats what started all the trouble. His front tires dropped into a marsh up to his headlights. Then I ventured in to go help him out......

Quote Originally Posted by twalker920 View Post
    That looks like Argentine (hence the gold mines). I did that in my 2002 4Runner and my buddy in his Grand Cherokee (his magic awd was not as good as my locked center diff...go go gadget tow strap!).

It was much drier when I did it though. I can't wait to get the VX up there. Heading in to the mountains this weekend, up near Green Mountain Res near Heeney.
    Hiking back down from the summit (4Runner and Jeep are the specks in the middle of the frame)
    YA! good eye. it was a great time up there for sure.

we are probably going to be doing red cone next week
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

I would like to take an extra week and wheel through the Rockies either going to or coming from Moab, next year. Anyone interested, LMK and we'll start to plan.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    we are probably going to be doing red cone next week
    Wednesday? Thursday? You can count me in.

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    I am voting to move the commune to Colorado......just sayin.....

Great photos Jack!
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

thanks everyone. Jon, lets plan for when i get back from my trip as we discussed. Maybe ill come up wed and test fit that seat, and wheel thurs?

you definately need to look into some other schools here, there are some really great ones. Whats your area of study?
    The reason I wanted to go to University of Colorado Denver is because I'm a nursing student; from what I was reading, the Anschutz Medical campus in Aurora is ranked around the same as the best nursing school in Washington state, WSU's College of Nursing here in Spokane (which I just applied to last month). I refuse to attend a school where I feel I'll gain a less than satisfactory education...I owe it to my patients to be the best caregiver I can possibly be.

Quote Originally Posted by VX crazy View Post
    I am voting to move the commune to Colorado......just sayin.....
    I second this notion

thanks everyone. Jon, lets plan for when i get back from my trip as we discussed. Maybe ill come up wed and test fit that seat, and wheel thurs?
    Ya, sounds good.

oh ok, thats great. i agree that your patients should get the best

from what I hear, the school I attended, University of Northern Colorado has a really great nursing program too. It also costs significantly less than DU.

DU is around 35k a semester for IN-STATE

UNC is 7k a semester for in-state.

however, i understand, because DU is a really prestigious school.

The reason I wanted to go to University of Colorado Denver is because I'm a nursing student; from what I was reading, the Anschutz Medical campus in Aurora is ranked around the same as the best nursing school in Washington state, WSU's College of Nursing here in Spokane (which I just applied to last month). I refuse to attend a school where I feel I'll gain a less than satisfactory education...I owe it to my patients to be the best caregiver I can possibly be.

I second this notion